Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Alamo Bowl

Saturday, December 30, 2006

IOWA (6-6) at TEXAS (9-3)

There's alot of heavy action on Iowa for the game, so the clear value is on Texas for this one.

Texas has an awesome rush defense so look for Iowa to be throwing alot in this one because I do not see them getting the run game going. The Hawkeyes will also have to limit their turnovers as they are -10 for the year. Iowa is also 1-10 ats this season.

nevadaside
    nevadaside's Avatar Become A Pro!

That ATS thing in itself could make it very difficult for Joe Normal Bettor to grab IOWA.......I had to think about how much 11 points is really worth in this game.

Ridin with good potential +11=IOWA here. But then again I am not a math Professor either.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I did grab Iowa early, but now i'm scared of this game. It seems like everyone is on Iowa now, and the way the dogs are playing this bowl season it really makes me wonder.

nevadaside

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    I did grab Iowa early, but now i'm scared of this game. It seems like everyone is on Iowa now, and the way the dogs are playing this bowl season it really makes me wonder.
    That's funny........dogs are giving me chills last couple days as well......or it could be cause it's freakin freezin up here.....I think it's these freakin BOWL DAWGS though, but already had this +11 thang in.....going to ride it out & hope for the best. Probably have to put some mind cruncher last minute 2nd half play in on one of the games on a whim to bail out.......hope not though.

babaoriley
    babaoriley's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tx got down to 8.5 on the greek. Now sitting at 9. As a UT alum/fan, I can't say that bias isn't getting in my way a little, but I like TX at 8.5-9. Iowa St at +11.5-12 (I think that was early line) had me worried, but I think TX rolls. Glad to see all the money ridin' on Iowa, also. And Colt McCoy is playing for TX.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

No play on the side. But I will be betting the OVER.

hawk 5
    Update your status
    hawk 5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8779

Texas -8.5. Be surprised if this is still a game by the end of 3rd quarter.

babaoriley
    babaoriley's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yep, I have TX and the over (6 point teaser) so TX -3 and Over 47. Texas will roll in this one. Like the side and over, in general, but after watching Wisconsin historically blow my ML play tonight, I think I'll be playing it safe and teasing this.

hawk 5
    Update your status

I'm sure you mean Minny not Wisky, but safe is the way to steer.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

These 6-6 teams are all playing their asses off, and, algebraically speaking, Ferentz + Tate = (Brown + McCoy) x 10. The similarities between Clemson and Texas are eerie (weak secondary, moronic head coach, shaky quarterback, lack of motivation), and look at how Clemson played today. You'll think you're watching a replay when you watch an Iowa team that is almost Texas's equal from a talent standpoint get out to an early lead and coast to victory. This was a big play for me at 11.5, but even at this number, Iowa will provide an easy cover if not an outright victory.

hawk 5
    Update your status

Razz, your almost always right, but this time your backing a team that has put it all together once this year against Purdue. They'll stay for a while, but dropped passes, missed chances, and a worn out D will lose this one for you. Plus Iowa's cover corners suck, they won't be able to put pressure on Colt.

bigboydan

I agree Razz. However, I do feel the value has been sucked dry out of this game right now after even more sharps hit the Hawkeyes these past couple of days.

AC1318
    AC1318's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

like texas here
    as for clemson 2 previous games verse kentucky were tough and split 1-1 and stayed under the total with today making it 3 on under which isn't clemson norm since they roll over teams
    texas isn't clemson

hawk 5
    Update your status

Razz, i'd eat all the crow you want to feed me for an outright victory for my beloved HAWKS.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

after last year's championship game, you think anyone on Texas thought they'd be playing in the Alamo Bowl?...I think not...

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by pags11
    after last year's championship game, you think anyone on Texas thought they'd be playing in the Alamo Bowl?...I think not...
    nope not at all.

hawk 5
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by pags11
    good point pags, but then the 2nd quarter starts and you go play some football against a team that Isn't very good.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

kind of like Kentucky and Clemson today hawk?...

hawk 5
    Update your status

Another good fvcking point, but 2 in a row is asking a lot, ain't it? Good luck pags just think your wrong on this one. Hope I have to eat crow.

nosuzieno
    nosuzieno's Avatar Become A Pro!

After yesterday, I am going contrarian against myself

4 units Iowa +8.5
    2 units Iowa ML +300

(If you are into angles, check out bowl record of previous years Nat'l champ, especially when laying this kind of chalk.)

Aces
    Aces's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 133

The Key To This Game Is ............

AUSTIN -- Texas quarterback Colt McCoy has been cleared to play in the Alamo Bowl, school officials said Thursday night.

McCoy's status had been in doubt after suffering a severely pinched nerve in his neck in the final minute of a 12-7 loss to Texas A&M on Nov. 24.

The Longhorns will face Iowa on Dec. 30 in San Antonio.

Athletic trainer Kenny Boyd said McCoy had made great progress over the past several weeks and is back at full strength.

"He went through a thorough and complete evaluation that involved everyone on our staff and a series of tests to insure his recovery was complete," Boyd said in a statement released by the school. "Colt passed all of the functional and diagnostic tests to return to the field, and his performance and recovery in practices confirmed that he is back at full strength. We're all comfortable that he's physically ready to play."

McCoy, a redshirt freshman, set a school record this year with 27 touchdown passes. He led the Longhorns to eight straight wins before he hurt his neck the first time on the first drive of a 45-42 loss at Kansas State on Nov. 11.

He was able to return to the field against the Aggies but got visibly weaker as the game went on and threw three interceptions. He was carted off the field with 20 seconds left after taking a hit following an incomplete pass.

Jevan Snead, the No. 2 QB all season, then decided to transfer. That left No. 18 Texas with Matt McCoy -- no relation -- a fourth-year walk-on who has taken only a handful of snaps in mop-up duty the past two seasons.

Colt McCoy has passed for 2,262 yards and thrown seven interceptions.

"I feel like everything is back to normal and I am 100 percent," McCoy said in the statement.

McCoy said there was steady progress in his recovery.

"It all paid off because I could feel the strength in my arm coming back," he said.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

I really don't have much of an opinion on this game....I would lean Iowa myself but I can't play it anymore.

bside
    bside's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is a home game for Texas and its fans. Less than 50 miles from Austin. They will be playing in front of family and friends not miles away from home.

Iowa's victories include Montana, Syracuse, Iowa State, Illinois, N. Illinois, and one real victory vs. Purdue

Iowa is coming off three straight losses (Northwestern, #16 Wisconsin, Minnesota). They lost those games by an average of 9 points and two of them were at home.

Texas' wins include N Texas, Rice, Iowa State, Sam Houston, #14 Oklahoma, #17 Nebraska, Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State

Texas is coming off two straight losses to Kansas State & Texas A&M by an average of 4 points (Colt McCoy Injured)

Common Opponents: Iowa State, Ohio State
    Texas beat Iowa State 37-14, Iowa beat them 27-17
    Texas Lost to Ohio State 24-7 at home, Iowa lost 38-17 at home

Texas 2-1 versus ranked opponents (winning by an average of 10 points and losing by 17 points)
    Iowa 0-3 vs. ranked opponents (losing by an average of 12.6 pts)

TEXAS -8.5
    Last edited by bside; 12-30-06 at 10:05 AM.

Wassymac
    Wassymac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by bside
    Texas Lost to Ohio State 24-7 on the road, Iowa lost 38-17 at home
    I believe that Texas/OSU game was @ Texas this year.

bside
    bside's Avatar Become A Pro!

thanks Wassymac -edited post

Patrick McIrish
    Patrick McIrish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

Strong lean Texas here. Read MLB for Iowa is out, that's going to be a real blow for this Hawkeye team.

SexyMit
    SexyMit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Iowa +10 for me

nevadaside

Lov'in me some HAWKEYES+11

Razz

Thanks for stealing those 7 points from Iowa you penetrating Pac-10 officials.

nosuzieno
    nosuzieno's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    No doubt

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    That was basicly a 14 point swing.

nevadaside

Yeah Illusion, you beat me to that punchline. You can almost always count on these freakin bad calls swinging something the other way.

AGGGGGGHHHH......now I really hope IOWA wins this thing outright.........just for the justice & our $'s.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

those Pac-10 officials should be replaced with Sun Belt officials....

hawk 5
    Update your status

Texas -7 second half, I'm a slow learner.

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by hawk 5
    Texas -7 second half, I'm a slow learner.
    I played that as well for a quarter of my initial Iowa +11.5 bet. That kind of BS call is the kind of thing that can drastically change a game, and an 8.5 point middle leaves a lot of wiggle room.

12 Last