Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Poinsettia Bowl

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Northern Illinois (7-5) vs. TCU (10-2)

TCU should be able to pass the ball against the weak N Illinois defense, but I think the 12 points is alittle high. I plan on playing N Illinois +12.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

what do you feel about the ground game for both teams? What do your numbers say on how that might pan out?

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Both teams are about equal on the ground. TCU's real edge is the passing game, but I think N. Illinois will keep it close.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm on NIU +13 here as well...

EBone
    Washington State +140 over Wichita State
    EBone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

I think the real question is this in this bowl game: can NI run the ball against TCU? With the large betting line, I think it is imperative that NI be effective in running the ball against TCU. TCU has been good at limiting the run this year. However, I wouldn't say that their schedule had a bunch of run-oriented teams. I think if you can answer "YES" to the question: can NI run the ball effectively (say 3.5 yards per carry)? Then I say NI as well.

E

E

pags11

I see that QB Horvath probably won't play, but Nicholson is a capable back-up...NIU's real weakness lies in their secondary and I'm not sure Ballard will be able to exploit it...

nevadaside
    nevadaside's Avatar Become A Pro!

One weapon against a pretty balanced team? Well, Tomlinson is making a case for that in the NFL, but I don't think it will work here........looking for the Horned Frogs to work the passing game big time, & seems they have it pretty well covered on defense......hope I don't have to eat my post here.....lol

LET THE BOWL GAMES BEGIN!

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9438

Why is TCU playing such an early bowl game? I think they played on New Year's Eve last year with a similar record?

Northern Illinois only lost 35-12 at Ohio State to open the season. Since OSU put up 40 or more on many teams, I'd say NIU would be my play at +12.
    Last edited by Seattle Slew; 12-18-06 at 11:35 PM.

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

Also on NIU. Hopefully their run game will be better than TCU's run defense.

rightsideup
    rightsideup's Avatar Become A Pro!

tcu-n.illinois

n.illinois played osu well and should have covered, BUT, that was the first game of the year and since then, they have played pretty porous against mediocre teams..wolfe had a stretch of 4 games where he ran for less then 70 yards a game..they are extremely one dimensional and that dimension only shows up 50% of the time..they are very bad away from home and are absolutely atrocious against the pass...tcu is very good defensively and actually had very big leads in several games, much bigger than the ending score i.e. (army, new mexico).. if niu falls behind, this game is over at halftime...one concern for tcu(incentive)!!!is there any????

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Northern Illinois +12.5?

THE KICKOFF TO BOWL SEASON KICKS OFF TONIGHT

Anyone else liking NIU +12.5 besides me tonight?

Seattle Slew

Loving NIU +12.5 here. But win or lose, glad Bowl Season is underway!!

nosuzieno
    nosuzieno's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by pags11
    I see that QB Horvath probably won't play, but Nicholson is a capable back-up...NIU's real weakness lies in their secondary and I'm not sure Ballard will be able to exploit it...
    Nicholson is capable backup to unimpressive Horvath but that's not saying much. Nich has thrown as many picks as tds (5-5) and is a 56% percent passer...Sources claim public taking the points but sharps keeping it in 12-13 point range.

Not sure yet if going to play it but TCU blow out most likely scenario IMO. GL~

Aces
    Aces's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 133

NIU keeps it close here I'm taking the points as well. GL All.

jimmy
    jimmy's Avatar Become A Pro!

ACES i like your pick with NIU TCU giving to many points

SexyMit
    SexyMit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Niu -12.5

jimmy
    jimmy's Avatar Become A Pro!

any coments on the over and under in tcu niu game

EBone
    Washington State +140 over Wichita State
    EBone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

I've decided to go with TCU tonight -12. I don't normally make it a point to go against the board. But I just don't think NIU will be able to run the ball. If they can't run the ball, they are going to get slaughtered. If they can, then my bet will be garbage. TCU -12 is my bet.

E

pags11

nosu,

if you look back to last year, Nicholson started about five games for them while Horvath was out...my statement was not only about his performance this year, but also about last year (I don't make statements like that without basis for them)...I disagree that the public moved the line down, but you are entitled to your opinion...very easy to say it will be a blowout because that's how it looks on paper...bowl season is very strange though and with Wolfe and NIU being healthy I expect them to put up a good fight tonight...whether or not they cover remains to be seen...GL if you decide to play anything but I'm standing behind NIU +13...

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    any coments on the over and under in tcu niu game
    Couple of opposing views on that subject at THIS LINK.

Checkerboard
    Checkerboard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14461

I think MACback Wolfe will have a big game, hitting the century mark at least. Novak will motivate the Huskies with the idea of challenge. True, the Frogs give up an average of under 70 yds/game rushing, but they only faced one 1,000 yd back all season . . . I liked the points here a couple of weeks, I snagged +13 . . . GL to all, Happy Bowl season everybody!

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

I am a huge illini fan and niu fan as well but my opinion is TCU will cover this game. I can't force myself to bet tcu but TCU will cover this game...

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper
    sweetpete57@'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

TCU has had plenty of time to study how to keep Wolfe from being a big factor. And w/o Wolfe, NIU just plain sucks. TCU 34-7

rta21
    rta21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 155

damn i took tcu -12, i should have checked this board first o well at least football is here

hawk 5
    Update your status
    hawk 5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8779

NI is not that good. I agree with pags that it's bowl season but TCU and there defense -12.

Peyton2MarvinN06
    Peyton2MarvinN06's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am sooo fvcking pissed off...
    5 unit play- OVER 7 1/2 pts 1st quarter
    First of all, I could play QB for NIU considering the hand the fvcking thing off everytime and Wolfe gets stuffed every play... I'm sorry for everyone that has money on NIU tonight because TCU is gonna win this game by 20+... NIU can not move the ball at all and I don't see how they will because their QB can't throw the fvcking ball! f\*\*k ME TCU scores 11 seconds into the 2nd quarter to make it 13-0! Thanks a whole lot rooster suckers!

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

sorry dude...

rta21
    rta21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 155

Quote Originally Posted by Peyton2MarvinN06
    I am sooo fvcking pissed off...
    5 unit play- OVER 7 1/2 pts 1st quarter
    First of all, I could play QB for NIU considering the hand the fvcking thing off everytime and Wolfe gets stuffed every play... I'm sorry for everyone that has money on NIU tonight because TCU is gonna win this game by 20+... NIU can not move the ball at all and I don't see how they will because their QB can't throw the fvcking ball! f\*\*k ME TCU scores 11 seconds into the 2nd quarter to make it 13-0! Thanks a whole lot rooster suckers!

yea that blows

Seattle Slew

Appalachian State and UMass would each crush this awful Northern Illinois team. I've never in my life see a team go 3-and-out in 5 straight possessions, and lose yardage in the process.

How the hell are they in a bowl game? What a disgrace. Not even competitive, although their defense did not play that badly considering they have the worst offense in NCAA history.

Seattle Slew

I recall they played pretty good defense in last year's bowl game against Iowa State, but I figured they would let down playing such an early bowl game. All wrong there.

Great call on TCU.

Quote Originally Posted by EBone
    I've decided to go with TCU tonight -12. I don't normally make it a point to go against the board. But I just don't think NIU will be able to run the ball. If they can't run the ball, they are going to get slaughtered. If they can, then my bet will be garbage. TCU -12 is my bet.

E

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper
    sweetpete57@'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

I hate when good teams like TCU get scrwed and have to play crappy teams like NIU in bowl games. Barring a miracle, my TCU -11.5 is looking pretty sweet right now

Peyton2MarvinN06
    Peyton2MarvinN06's Avatar Become A Pro!

Northern Illinois is terrible, flat out terrible... I've got the OVER in this game! I don't know if TCU can get to 48 on their own because I just don't see Northern putting any points on the board... I sure hope I'm wrong...

nosuzieno
    nosuzieno's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sorry if this was wasn't clear, Pags, but I said Public taking points Sharps keeping it in 12-13 range was meaning public on NI, Sharps on TCU (or line would have been higher)...

Nicholson is capable backup to unimpressive Horvath but that's not saying much. Nich has thrown as many picks as tds (5-5) and is a 56% percent passer...Sources claim public taking the points but sharps keeping it in 12-13 point range.

Not sure yet if going to play it but TCU blow out most likely scenario IMO. GL~

hawk 5
    Update your status

I know I'm still looking good, but I did not need that punt block/TD at all.

hawk 5
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpete57@
    TCU has had plenty of time to study how to keep Wolfe from being a big factor. And w/o Wolfe, NIU just plain sucks. TCU 34-7
    No 4 point plays, other wise your on it.

12 Last