moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Who wants the Bama job?

LOL. I thought RR was going to take it, but happy he's staying at WVU. Wonder who they will target now? Grobe or Johnson? Somebody else?

jim
    jim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2362

No decent coach since the bear, wonder why

gummo
    Bearcats
    gummo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1195

Weren't they rumored to have offered Saban 5 mill a year for it? How do you turn that down?

Hoja Verdes
    Broncos Under 7.5 Wins -105
    Hoja Verdes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

Quote Originally Posted by jim
    No decent coach since the bear, wonder why
    Gene Stallings? He won the National Championship in '92, I think that qualifies one as "decent."

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hoja, You beat me too it

Why not bring back one of the original juction boys and bring back Gene Stallings for another time around. I know he's way up there in age, but thats meaningless when you look JoePa and Bowden.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

it's pretty much a disaster how this whole thing has gone down...

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9578

They kinda went through this the last time, before they ended up hiring Shula. He was not their first or second choice for sure.

I think RR stayed at Wva. because both his stars are sophomores. If he can get any type of defense in there, they could win the national title next year. Problem is keeping White and Slayton healthy all season when they take so many hits.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Jay Barker.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Razz, I keep hearing there going to pursue the Navy coach. Is there any truth to that rumor?

BTW, I don't think there former QB could handle that high pressure job. Especially with him no head coaching experience.

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    Razz, I keep hearing there going to pursue the Navy coach. Is there any truth to that rumor?
    Well, he makes 1.8 mill a year, and I doubt if he would go to Alabama for a couple hundred thousand more. Not to mention Alabama seems not to want him - none of the fans do, and he's like their sixth choice.
    All the fans still think they are going to get Saban.

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by gummo
    Weren't they rumored to have offered Saban 5 mill a year for it? How do you turn that down?
    Total rumor. That offer was never even close to being on the table.

Razz

Ed Scissum.
    Last edited by Razz; 12-09-06 at 01:27 AM.

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by Hoja Verdes
    Gene Stallings? He won the National Championship in '92, I think that qualifies one as "decent."
    Unless you are referring to this definition of the word:

decent - marked by moral integrity.

Not that Pruneface would fit into that definition of "decent" either.

EBone
    Washington State +140 over Wichita State
    EBone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

Didn't Croom beat Bama this year? I think that was the last straw. My opinion is that Alabama is so rigid about their traditions that they chase off many good applicants. It is a real shame.

E

Aces
    Aces's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 133

Mike Leach is the new name I'm hearing.

Aces

I just emailed Coach Leach a welcome letter.

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by Aces
    Mike Leach is the new name I'm hearing.
    That would be fun to watch with Brown, Hall, Stover, and Caddell all coming back.
    Not sure why Leach would make a lateral/downward move though.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    Well, he makes 1.8 mill a year, and I doubt if he would go to Alabama for a couple hundred thousand more. Not to mention Alabama seems not to want him - none of the fans do, and he's like their sixth choice.
    All the fans still think they are going to get Saban.

Damn...Paul Johnson makes 1.8 million a year?

Aces

Razz I knew that would get your attention ( but it was on Fox 10 last night he was the number 3 guy.)

Razz

ClayNation: Can hardly Bear Shula's departure? Let's find a new coach
    By Clay Travis, SPiN Columnist

All across the SEC, fans are crying. That's because Mike Shula is no longer the football coach of the University of Alabama.

This is all the more surprising because 11 of the 12 fan bases in the SEC were fervent Shula supporters. Why? Because Shula had redefined the field goal kicking legacy at Alabama. There was talk that soon the Lou Groza Award was going to be renamed in Shula's honor. Now that's completely out the window. So sad.

Gone will be the steely-eyed indecision, the clenched-jaw before reckless handoffs into the center of the line, the fetal position as the preferred method to keep from fumbling, and the coach who you knew, no matter what, would find a way to lose each game that he trailed in the fourth quarter.

Some people say that reliability is a thing of the past. I say that's balderdash. There was no surer bet than Mike Shula losing when he trailed in the fourth quarter.

The guys behind keepmikeshula.com are, predictably, in mourning. Even though the site isn't draped with pixelated black bunting, it should be. Here is part of their advice on how to cope:

"Perhaps you feel that the Bear isn't listening -- that often your cries for help seem to be unheeded. Your heart echoes the cries of despair and desolation of the ghosts of Bama past, who kept calling out to Bear for deliverance. Remember that that Bear answered them, sometimes in unexpected ways, and not always while sober. Sometimes, of course, you are meant to raise your crimson shaker and mix up a fresh George Dickel your own damn self!"

It's readily apparent that Alabama fans have reacted to Shula's dismissal with characteristic rationality and the complete and utter modesty for which they have attained universal renown. The search for Shula's replacement has already commenced and rumors run rampant on the message boards as to who the new coach will be. Everyone has an inside source, a friend with connections, each message board poster is eternally the third cousin twice-removed of the guy who pilots the university plane.

Thanks to my newfound SEC street cred over the DDT, I was able to get a list of the top 11 candidates that the Alabama search committee has vetted along with their notes analyzing the pros and cons of each candidate. I have changed nothing from this list and replicate it forthwith for your own perusal:

1. Bear Bryant -- Pros: Won 14 million national championships and once wrestled a bear. Cons: Is currently still dead (confirm?).

2. Jesus Christ -- Pros: Once rose from the dead, ergo long hours are not going to be an issue. Healed the sick, made fish for thousands, and other miracles. Plus, He has been crucified so being burned in effigy after He loses to Auburn for the sixth consecutive year will not be a big deal. Cons: There have been suggestions that He gets the benefit of the doubt because of who His father is. And we've been through that already.

3. Bear Bryant -- Pros: Won 14 million national championships and once wrestled a bear. Cons: After diligent inquiry, body exhumation and shock treatment to remains, sadly, the Bear remains dead.

4. Moses -- Pros: Pretty strong disciplinarian. Was involved in the Ten Commandments. Cons: Rigid adherence to the Ten Commandments makes recruiting harder. Also, he has a beard. The Bear did not have a beard.

5. Shelley Meyer -- Pros: Is rumored to be the brains behind Florida coach Urban Meyer. This could help us in recruiting by dividing the Meyer family. Plus, since we passed on hiring a black coach, it would be quite a splash to hire football's first female coach. We'd be like that school that hired Goldie Hawn. And we all know how good Wesley Snipes ended up playing for her. Cons: Is a woman. The Bear was not a woman.

6. Bill Belichick -- Pros: Supposedly this Super Bowl is sort of a big deal. He's won three of them. Cons: Bear Bryant would have won, conservatively, 33 million Super Bowls if he had coached in the NFL.

7. Tim Tebow -- Pros: Player-managers have been successful in baseball, why not a scholarship athlete-coach? We'd be revolutionary. The football equivalent of the electric toothbrush. Cons: Tim Tebow doesn't like us.

8. Ed Orgeron -- Pros: Almost as unintelligible as the Bear when he speaks. Cons: Could be charged with several felonies on any given Saturday.

9. That coach from the Friday Night Lights television show -- Pros: Proves to everyone that Alabama can think outside the box (and inside the teletube box, too). That we're able to adapt to new paradigms. That we understand the long tail and how it impacts the rapidity of globalization. (Insert other new-agey business terms here to sound smart for media.) Cons: Football games aren't won with newfangled contraptions like the video cassette recorder or helmets. Everyone knows they're won with houndstooth hats.

10. Tom Berenger -- Pros: Actually played the Bear in a recent movie and is still alive. Also played Jake Taylor in Major League so he knows the importance of turning a losing team around. Cons: Is currently slated to star in the movie The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey. Everyone knows there has only ever been one Christmas Miracle and we aren't even willing to hire Jesus. How would the boosters react?
    On a more positive note to Bammers, Rush Propst just might reconsider now that he finally lost a state championship at Hoover.

pags11

I had no clue Johnson made that much...

rta21
    rta21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 155

Nobody Want It

Quote Originally Posted by OWNED
    LOL. I thought RR was going to take it, but happy he's staying at WVU. Wonder who they will target now? Grobe or Johnson? Somebody else?
    BAMA IS LOOKING 4 BEAR BRYANT AND HE IS DEAD SO THEY R THROUGH

pags11

haven't heard much on this situation in the last week...anyone with any info.?...

Aces

I'm hoping the Dolphins continue to lose this year.

Razz

Hilarious avatar Aces, I actually have heard Mike Riley's name mentioned as a possible option. I can't imagine they would hire another Mike - not to mention Riley is an absolute joke.

Aces

I have no idea who the coach will be I do know who the AD shouldn't be.