William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Taylor University Silent Night Game 2012

If you've never seen any video clips from the annual "Silent Night" game at Taylor University..........check it out.

Fans sit in silence until the 10th point is scored. Then..........all hell breaks loose.

mynameismud
    mynameismud's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8427

they were featured on 'around the horn' last week. they showed a small clip of what you posted.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Pretty cool

ndirishfan
    ndirishfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 350

Lol thats was awesome

kmarinouofm
    Those who stay.. will be Champions!
    kmarinouofm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3463

looks like a load of fun

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

That's awesome...

InTheRed
    InTheRed's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17656

I think the 10 pt cheer is retarded. As someone who was very involved with my own school's student section, this doesn't make sense to me. Although it looks cool once that 10th pt is scored, I think this chant actually does more damage than good. You give the opponents momentium off the tip off. They know it'll be quiet until that 10th pt. If they come out flying, you can absolutely steal the game in the first couple of minutes. The longer this goes, the worst off for Taylor it'll be.

I did find the O Holy Night cool. But again, its just distracting. It makes the game all about the fans and not about the team.

With all that said, bravo to Taylor U. They pack a high school gym. For their level and their business, they must be very happy.

darkhat
    darkhat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

good stuff man

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by InTheRed View Post
    I think the 10 pt cheer is retarded. As someone who was very involved with my own school's student section, this doesn't make sense to me. Although it looks cool once that 10th pt is scored, I think this chant actually does more damage than good. You give the opponents momentium off the tip off. They know it'll be quiet until that 10th pt. If they come out flying, you can absolutely steal the game in the first couple of minutes. The longer this goes, the worst off for Taylor it'll be.

I did find the O Holy Night cool. But again, its just distracting. It makes the game all about the fans and not about the team.

With all that said, bravo to Taylor U. They pack a high school gym. For their level and their business, they must be very happy.
    It's one game a year guy..................and if you don't think the players are hyped coming in to this game...........playing their asses off to get that 10th point............I'd have to guess you were band geek.

InTheRed
    InTheRed's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17656

Im not saying Taylor isn't pumped for the game. But the essence of the chant only hurts them. They have to go 5 for 5 for this to work.

With every miss, its another 30-45 seconds with no sound. It allows for the visiting team to run their plays, communicate, get in to a rhythm with ease. The biggest advantage Taylor has in this game is at the very start when the crowd should be pumped up.

Mistakes happen at roughly three points of a game. The very beginning, the beginning of the 2nd, and at a major run. This chant eliminates one of those points.

To explain this better, what's a better thing to do:

Taylor's silence until 10.

OR

Be as loud and crazy as they are at that 10th point from the tip off and stay that loud until the visiting team scores 10 pts.

The longer it takes, the longer the noise. It's harder for the visiting team to adjust, communicate. Meanwhile, the home team is prepared for it, used to it. Hence a home field advantage.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

its NAIA

they prob get 200 fans for most games, but this game prob has the entire student body there. So for the rest of the game the extra fan power will more than offset any problems in the first 5+ minutes.

I played Division 3, at a similar school to Taylor, it was very rare that the crowd ever factored into our conference games

bruceBRUCEbruce
    bruceBRUCEbruce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

gayer than Liberace's pool boy

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2158

I love it.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Im not saying Taylor isn't pumped for the game. But the essence of the chant only hurts them. They have to go 5 for 5 for this to work.

With every miss, its another 30-45 seconds with no sound. It allows for the visiting team to run their plays, communicate, get in to a rhythm with ease. The biggest advantage Taylor has in this game is at the very start when the crowd should be pumped up.

Mistakes happen at roughly three points of a game. The very beginning, the beginning of the 2nd, and at a major run. This chant eliminates one of those points.

To explain this better, what's a better thing to do:

Taylor's silence until 10.

OR

Be as loud and crazy as they are at that 10th point from the tip off and stay that loud until the visiting team scores 10 pts.

The longer it takes, the longer the noise. It's harder for the visiting team to adjust, communicate. Meanwhile, the home team is prepared for it, used to it. Hence a home field advantage.
    I'll bet the opposing coach has to call time-out within 2 minutes of that place erupting almost every time. People can't be that fukkin loud for an entire game.

As much as offensive players are calling plays, defenses are calling out screens/switches, not a huge advantage to either side if it is loud or not.

And help me out, but if there home stadium is loud, then isn't the road team used to it anyway? Not like football where you want an educated fan base, and there is time for silence and noise, minus free throws.

They prolly aren't the best basketball team, and I would think this puts school spirit at an all time high, fukkin epic.

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Will, that is a great post.

Love that kind of stuff. It is why I prefer college sports to the NFL and NBA.

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35459

Unique, but why?

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

what a giant fukkin dork you are

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post

what a giant fukkin dork you are
    How did I miss that.... I actually think when I read it I thought he said he played basketball.