Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

Open Coaching Jobs (Cal, Arkansas, and Tennessee top 3)

We already know Kentucky is going to be hiring a new coach.

I would wager that Cal and Tennessee will have open positions as well, Cal is -1000, Tennessee -900, Arkansas -1500)

What other schools are favorites to have open coaching positions?

I never thought I would say it but it look like Iowa might have an open position as well after their performance this season.

Auburn, Colorado, UNLV, and Wyoming (because of his rant) also in the mix

Inkwell77

Some of the better coaching prospects out there imo:

Sonny Dykes (Louisiana Tech)

Gary Andersen (Utah State)

Willie Taggart (Western Kentucky), might be the number 1 prospect. Part of the Stanford coaching fraternity.

M.W.
    M.W.'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6270

Boston College

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Washington St. Leach ignited a grease fire.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Kiffin

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

i would definitely take +1000 on tedford's future. did they have much success before he got there? i think not (couldn't be wrong) which is pretty surprising.

i look at glenn mason at minnesota as classic "be careful what you wish for" EDIT: speaking of minnesota, might be another coaching change i would think. the WSU leach comment twigged me to this. i think schools are going to be alot more dilligent about ritual abuse in the future (i think james family at TT was probably in the wrong too. i especially don't like families getting involved. i respect these guys at minnesota and WSU for speaking out themselves and putting their money where there money is)

i think UNLV has shown really great progress this year.

what about lane kiffin at USC?

good thread. thanks for starting it.

Inkwell77

In regards to Kiffin I really dont't know how you can fire a coach who has the #3 ranked recruiting class coming in with 12 players in the top 100. Obviously the rankings are not 100% accurate, but most likely they will be stacked next year and the year after.
    He also had the #1 pre-season ranking which I think shows the program is still in good shape.
    Sure they have underachieved, but it happens to the best of em.
    It's not like they're Auburn or Cal at the moment were they are losing games by 30 points and not even competitive.

You gotta remember last year they would have been in the Pac-12 championship game and had a legit shot at getting to the rose bowl if they were not under sanctions.

Believeland
    The Dude minds
    Believeland's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 922

Heard on the radio today Arkansas has made an offer to John Gruden to be the highest paid coach in cfb

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

illinois??

TR35
    TR35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Beckmann just got to Illinois. Gave him a 5 year deal. He is safe for another year.

A4K
    A4K's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 241

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell77 View Post
    We already know Kentucky is going to be hiring a new coach.

I would wager that Cal and Tennessee will have open positions as well, Cal is -1000, Tennessee -900, Arkansas -1500)

What other schools are favorites to have open coaching positions?

I never thought I would say it but it look like Iowa might have an open position as well after their performance this season.

Auburn, Colorado, UNLV, and Wyoming (because of his rant) also in the mix
    Jeff Tedford is not going anywhere. Cal just loaded up on him. They can't each that much money.

rainmaker82
    rainmaker82's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 133

Quote Originally Posted by A4K View Post
    Jeff Tedford is not going anywhere. Cal just loaded up on him. They can't each that much money.

looks like they ate it.

A4K

Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker82 View Post
    looks like they ate it.
    Holy sh!t! That's a shocker to me. They owe him a lot of $$$ and they are not known as a football school. OUCH!

I'd love to get paid $7 million not to come to work any more. LOL

rainmaker82
    rainmaker82's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 133

Yeah i was surprised to see that too. That's a lot of money to pay a guy not to show up.

A4K

Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker82 View Post
    Yeah i was surprised to see that too. That's a lot of money to pay a guy not to show up.
    I know a lot of Cal Alumini and they swore up and down that Tedford was good for a few more seasons.

Inkwell77

3 straights losses to Stanford.

More talent than Stanford every year.

Have a renovated Stadium and they have to sell tickets, Tedford was not the guy.

Since 2008, so 2009, 2010, 2011, and this year Cal is in 7th Place in the old Pac-10 in terms of wins at 23-27 straight up, behind Oregon, Stanford, USC, Washington, UCLA, and Oregon State. Only teams he has performed better than is Arizona, Az St, and Washington State. That is not impressive.

A4K

In regards to Kiffin I really dont't know how you can fire a coach who has the #3 ranked recruiting class coming in with 12 players in the top 100. Obviously the rankings are not 100% accurate, but most likely they will be stacked next year and the year after.
    He also had the #1 pre-season ranking which I think shows the program is still in good shape.
    Sure they have underachieved, but it happens to the best of em.
    It's not like they're Auburn or Cal at the moment were they are losing games by 30 points and not even competitive.

You gotta remember last year they would have been in the Pac-12 championship game and had a legit shot at getting to the rose bowl if they were not under sanctions.

And what has Kiffin done with the treasure trove of talent? Oh, that's right, he's the first coach EVER to have a preseason AP #1 team lose more than 3 games!

That ranking was based on what Pete Carroll built at SC. What BIG games has Lane won as a coach? Exactly. He's vastly overrated.

Back to point #1! Kiffin just set a record as the first coach to lead a preseason AP #1 to 4 losses.

At least Auburn has won a BCS title in the last 5 seasons.

In 2011 the Pac-12 South was exceptionally weak, to list that as Lane's crowning achievement is a joke.

Kiffin has done less with more than any other head coach in college football. Give Nick Saban those studs at the skill positions and he wins titles. Give Kiffin the same talent and he can't get his boys up for ONE big game all season. Stanford, LOSS, Oregon, LOSS, rival UCLA, LOSS!

Kiffin isn't even the best college coach in Los Angeles!

Inkwell77

Quote Originally Posted by A4K View Post
    And what has Kiffin done with the treasure trove of talent? Oh, that's right, he's the first coach EVER to have a preseason AP #1 team lose more than 3 games!

That ranking was based on what Pete Carroll built at SC. What BIG games has Lane won as a coach? Exactly. He's vastly overrated.

Back to point #1! Kiffin just set a record as the first coach to lead a preseason AP #1 to 4 losses.

At least Auburn has won a BCS title in the last 5 seasons.

In 2011 the Pac-12 South was exceptionally weak, to list that as Lane's crowning achievement is a joke.

Kiffin has done less with more than any other head coach in college football. Give Nick Saban those studs at the skill positions and he wins titles. Give Kiffin the same talent and he can't get his boys up for ONE big game all season. Stanford, LOSS, Oregon, LOSS, rival UCLA, LOSS!

Kiffin isn't even the best college coach in Los Angeles!
    I don't think Kiffin is an above average coach or even close, I just don't think you can't fire him at this point.
    There is no question he has underachieved, but to fire him for going 25-11 su seems short sided. I think the defense has been the biggest weakness and it looks like they will be hiring a new defensive coordinator. I don't think his offensive play-calling has really been the problem at USC.

One thing that is very concerning is that he is 3-8 su vs ranked opponents. That is all about coaching.

A4K

I don't think Kiffin is an above average coach or even close, I just don't think you can't fire him at this point.
    There is no question he has underachieved, but to fire him for going 25-11 su seems short sided. I think the defense has been the biggest weakness and it looks like they will be hiring a new defensive coordinator. I don't think his offensive play-calling has really been the problem at USC.

One thing that is very concerning is that he is 3-8 su vs ranked opponents. That is all about coaching.
    Personally, I'd give Kiffin another season, but I can see why SC fans want him gone.