No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Explain three lines to me

Michigan State -7.5 at Pinny (only book to close above 7)
    Cincinnati -6.5 against a ranked team at home in Rutgers
    Bowling Green -3 against a ranked team at home in Kent State

I say this every week -- are books just OK with giving away free money in college football? How can books be so sharp with NFL sides and this off with the college game? You used to be able to count on taking unranked home faves like the Bearcats and Falcons, because there was a reason why they were favored. Not anymore. As for MSU going above a key number at the sharpest shop in the world only to lose SU, again, just amazing.

Congrats to Northwestern, Rutgers and Kent State + ML backers. It truly was that easy.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Mac4Lyfe

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

You can throw Mississippi State in there too. RLM my ass.

Romanov
    Diapason Knells
    Romanov's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Middle Tenn St too. Lets see how that one plays out

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

LA Tech later today, college sports is where the money is to be made.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Romanov View Post
    Middle Tenn St too. Lets see how that one plays out
    I didn't even play the four games I mentioned. I would normally hammer those and be 0-4 right now. I've learned that college football is a paradise for Joe Blow and I barely even bother anymore.

I had a few friends of mine ask me specifically about the Michigan State and Rutgers games this morning. I was going to tell them to lay off given the way the line moved in favor of MSU at Pinny (again, I can't emphasize enough how big it is for them to close at -7.5) and the "unranked home favorite" theory that has been tried and tested through the years re: Cincy, but I just ended up telling them "take 'em both." Sure enough, they cash with ease SU.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    college sports is where the money is to be made.
    Wasn't like this until last year.

The past two seasons have just been amazing to me. Week after week.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Because in the minds of most CFB bettors, a team's reputation weighs more heavily than current form.

Case in point, 75% laying -4 on USC today. That line was a joke, although admittedly I didn't expect it to be 17-0 Bruins after 1Q.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    Because in the minds of most CFB bettors, a team's reputation weighs more heavily than current form.

Case in point, 75% laying -4 on USC today. That line was a joke, although admittedly I didn't expect it to be 17-0 Bruins after 1Q.
    But who is betting on Michigan State, Arkansas or Cincinnati today? That's the point -- those weren't the plays of most people who just spend 5 seconds looking at a game. Northwestern, Mississippi State and Rutgers were. So why are the books opening and then moving these lines the way they are?

"Most CFB bettors" are cleaning up on these horrific lines.

suicidekings
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Wasn't like this until last year.

The past two seasons have just been amazing to me. Week after week.
    There's been a fundamental shift in the way the market works in the last few years as the books have caught up to the "playing against the public" bullshit that all the talking heads and self-proclaimed "sharps" promote. The bettor demographics have also changed because of UIGA and an increased interest in sports betting as an investment platform from working professionals with sizable amounts of money to work with.

Brave New World.

suicidekings
    Update your status

But who is betting on Michigan State, Arkansas or Cincinnati today? That's the point -- those weren't the plays of most people who just spend 5 seconds looking at a game. Northwestern, Mississippi State and Rutgers were. So why are the books opening and then moving these lines the way they are?

"Most CFB bettors" are cleaning up on these horrific lines.
    What do you expect the books to do though? It's not in their best interest to make substantial changes to how they set the opening lines when the current short term trends oppose their long term projections? Everything comes back to the mean eventually, and the changes they make are year to year, not week to week, especially in something as volatile as college football.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

What do you expect the books to do though? It's not in their best interest to make substantial changes to how they set the opening lines when the current short term trends oppose their long term projections? Everything comes back to the mean eventually, and the changes they make are year to year, not week to week, especially in something as volatile as college football.
    Why would MSU open as a -6.5 fave vs. Northwestern? And more importantly, why would the sharpest book in the world move them to -7.5?

Same goes for Cincinnati. A -6.5 favorite at home against a ranked Rutgers team? Really?

suicidekings
    Update your status

The favourites were set where they were because Rutgers can't score and MSU has smothering defense.

If the Spartans had gotten the TD instead of the safety early in the game, we probably wouldn't even be talking about this outcome. They also turned the ball over 4 times, well outside a reasonable expectation for the game.

You're talking about this like you've forgotten how incredibly volatile the game of football can be...

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

The favourites were set where they were because Rutgers can't score and MSU has smothering defense.

If the Spartans had gotten the TD instead of the safety early in the game, we probably wouldn't even be talking about this outcome. They also turned the ball over 4 times, well outside a reasonable expectation for the game.

You're talking about this like you've forgotten how incredibly volatile the game of football can be...
    MSU rarely plays Northwestern well, and has been incredibly bad in close games year. I watch quite a bit of Big Ten football, and why they would be more than a 4-point fave here was baffling to me.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Might as well add Ohio State +3 to the list.

Obviously money came pouring in on the Buckeyes, but why did they open at +3 in the first place?

suicidekings
    Update your status

Might as well add Ohio State +3 to the list.

Obviously money came pouring in on the Buckeyes, but why did they open at +3 in the first place?
    100% agreed on this one. I hit the Buckeyes immediately when the line originally opened as a HUGE mistake. However if you look at how the books have lined OSU's games this season, they've been getting too much respect against bad teams and not enough against the more competitive teams.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

100% agreed on this one. I hit the Buckeyes immediately when the line originally opened as a HUGE mistake. However if you look at how the books have lined OSU's games this season, they've been getting too much respect against bad teams and not enough against the more competitive teams.
    No reason for this game to open as anything more than PK. None.

suicidekings
    Update your status

No reason for this game to open as anything more than PK. None.
    Bielema is a loser, who's deficiencies become very apparent when the Badgers play elite teams.

I wonder if Badgers cry?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Bielema is a loser, who's deficiencies become very apparent when the Badgers play elite teams.

I wonder if Badgers cry?
    Bielema is in fact a loser. Agree 150%.