bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

John L Smith.... Gone!

Following UNC's lead with John Bunting firing. Another John i see just got the axe today, and thats John L Smith. However, he will finish coaching the team the rest of the season.

kalmikrazy
    kalmikrazy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

Both decent jobs, but I see both as stepping stone jobs and not the final stop for a top coach. NC is basketball country and MSU will always be 2nd fiddle in Michigan.

CP this morning was saying maybe Saban going back if he not sure if he can survive in the NFL. I could see Mariucci at MSU.

The story about Rich Rodriguez to UNC is silly. He can never win there I dont think in the long run. And he can build a big time name for himself at WVU. Especially if they can win tomm.

bigboydan

Saban should go back to the college ranks. He's not an NFL coach at all and never will be.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

At least JLS has time on his hands now to be a full time moron.

bigboydan

He can't be that big of a moron owned. He will be getting a 3 million dollar buy out.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

Its about time. Surprised it took so long.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I never understand why teams fire coaches midseason yet let them finish out the year. It doesn't make sense to me.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm just not sure Smith knows how to deal with people very well...he's a great football guy, but didn't seem to handle the pressure of this job very well...his teams were always so highly penalized too, not a whole lot of discipline...too bad really...

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    I never understand why teams fire coaches midseason yet let them finish out the year. It doesn't make sense to me.
    I think that in situations where the relationship is somewhat amicable when the severance is made, this is an appropriate way to let things play out. This gives Smith an opportunity to have his players rally around him and salvage some semblance of respectability. It also allows him to go out on a slighty less negative note than if he was dismissed immediately, and he can use that positive bounce to help him further down the line when he attempts to coerce another coaching position.

I've always been struck by him as being an utter clown. Some people are just so artificially positive in a Tony Robbins sort of way that you seem to really want them to fail and he has always fit into that category for me. I still think that if he had managed to hold onto the victory over ND, we wouldn't be having this conversation.