William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by A4K View Post
    And yet, with all of those BIG recruits, SC continually falls short of winning anything notable. Imagine what Saban or a half decent coach could do with all of that talent.

My opinion, SC players read their press clippings and start buying into the hype before they've earned it.
    1. Those are 2013 recruits so it would be awfully hard for any of them to "fall short of winning anything notable".

2. By no means to I think Lane Kiffin is a top notch HEAD football coach.

A4K
    A4K's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 241

Quote Originally Posted by SamDiamond View Post
    Talent has NEVER been USC's problem. Ever. They're always talented.

Ted Tollner, Larry Smith and Paul Hackett all recruited NFL talent to Southern Cal. They just sucked as head coaches.

Carroll broke that trend.

The problem with USC is Lane and Monte Kiffin. There is NFL talent on this year's USC defense, but wouldn'twatching Monte Kiffin coach them, you wouldn't know it.

As long as the Kiffin clan are running things, I'm not sure USC will win a N.C.

A team with Barkely, Woods, Lee, Agholor, Silas Redd, and 15 other future NFLers shouldn't lose to Stanford and Arizona. And fine they lost to Oregon, but they shouldn't be giving up 62 points.
    Nailed it! Great post.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by A4K View Post
    Ahhhhh it all makes sense, now. Step away from the Kool-Aid container. SC is a good football program, but they fall woefully short of being GREAT. SC fans do themselves a disfavor by constantly proclaiming how great they are and how they're going to do this or that.

Again, I ask, what BIG game has SC won this season to deserve being considered a top team?

All that talent is great on paper, but SC hasn't utilized it to win anything of note.

I'm not impressed with wins over Hawaii, Syracuse, Utah, Colorado, Washington or Cal.
    When did this turn in to a "how many big wins does SC have this season" discussion? Everybody would agree that this season has quickly become a large disappointment.

A4K

Quote Originally Posted by William Walters View Post
    1. Those are 2013 recruits so it would be awfully hard for any of them to "fall short of winning anything notable".

2. By no means to I think Lane Kiffin is a top notch HEAD football coach.
    Yes, I understand those are 2013 recruits. I was clearly speaking of the current roster.

SC has 6 wins against average to below average teams and losses to a great team, good team, and a bad team. Maybe Pete Arbogast should discuss how woefully inept SC is at utilizing their talent pool instead of constantly building them up on his Sunday morning radio show.

Right now, SC is all hype and no substance yet they continually get a pass because they have so much talent. WIN SOMETHING!

A4K

When did this turn in to a "how many big wins does SC have this season" discussion? Everybody would agree that this season has quickly become a large disappointment.
    The discussion shifted when someone brought up SC's recruiting class. Unfortunately for SC fans, recruiting well doesn't necessarily translate into meaningful victories. My point is simple, SC always has great recruiting classes and yet it hasn't helped them this season.

theAkathist
    theAkathist's Avatar Become A Pro!

if USC beats ucla and arizona state they get another chance at oregon, probably +10 up in eugene

but if they could put a total game together and win that they could win the rose bowl as well

A4K

Quote Originally Posted by theAkathist View Post
    if USC beats ucla and arizona state they get another chance at oregon, probably +10 up in eugene

but if they could put a total game together and win that they could win the rose bowl as well
    That's a lot of ifs for a team that has failed to show up in BIG moments. Can they do it? It wouldn't surprise me, but I certainly would not bet on it. I woldn't be shocked if SC lost to ASU and/or UCLA either.

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

theAkathist

vs ARI st -9
    at UCLA -7.5????
    at Oregon +10??????

certainly not impossible

SamDiamond

vs ARI st -9
    at UCLA -7.5????
    at Oregon +10??????

certainly not impossible
    That's the one that's impossible.

theAkathist

they won last year at eugene, not impossible

SamDiamond

they won last year at eugene, not impossible
    This isn't 2011.

And did you just watch what Oregon did to USC in Los Angeles?

But hey, if you want to continue this silly line-- be my guest.

Noles1992
    Noles1992's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25590

Pete Carroll at USC:
    34 game winning streak (longest in modern day college football history)
    7 consecutive Top 4 finishes
    7 consecutive BCS bowl appearances
    6 BCS bowl victories (one loss coming to Texas in title game)
    33 straight weeks as the AP #1 ranked team in the country (which is a college football record)
    3 Heisman Trophy winners
    A record of 67-7 over a 74 game span
    6 year unbeaten streak at home
    etc. etc. etc. etc.
    K some of that is very impressive, 7 top 4 and.Bcs bowl apperances etc. But nobody really cares or looks back on unless your a Usc fan of how many weeks you were #1 in the AP? 67-7 RECORD IN A 74 GAME SPAN another who cares. etc,

I mean there were some who questioned Fsu as a dynasty,though FSU WENT too 3 straight, 4 out of 5 yrs. or 5 out of 8 national Championships. 14 straight top 4 finishes and min.10 win season.
    Now only a fan of Fsu would know or care that we are now @ 30+ staright years of bowl games and non losing seasons.In finishing a unanimous No. 1 in The Associated Press' final Top 25 college football poll, the Seminoles became the first team to go wire-to-wire as the top team since the preseason ratings began in 1950. etc. etc.

I mean any fan of many of the top programs can make a list of impressive stats as you and I just have..

Btw I think Carrol was a much better coach for the PLAYERS AND Program than that asslown KIFFIN
    Last edited by Noles1992; 11-05-12 at 03:24 PM.

Zuluhead2112
    Zuluhead2112's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 33

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...mmits-from-usc

Subtract one of those. #2 safety and #31 player overall. Regardless of recruiting classes, Lane Kiffin will always find a game to lose that he shouldn't (or two). 99% of these 5 star recruits absolutely hinge in their coaching. Take two great examples from my Crimson Tide. Phillip Sims, who was a 4 or 5 star (can't recall) QB recruit who is now a 2nd string at Virginia. Or Star Jackson who was a 5 start RB recruit who is now a 3rd string WR at Georgia State, if I'm not mistaken. Then we had a 3 star RB recruit that you may remember by the name of Mark Ingram... What I'm trying to say is that recruit ratings are weighted way higher than they should be, and the recruits USUALLY don't end up being any better than the coach that is "raising" them. Just my 2 cents.

Noles1992

Very true on what you just said!, I remember Sims and no idea he had transfered. For many years think it was the Vols seemed to always have a top 5 class, and were now where to be found in the top 25. Fsu had a few of those also! The coach and his supporting cast are a big factor. If I do remember correctly Pete Carroll had a great cast around him also.

SamDiamond

Quote Originally Posted by Zuluhead2112 View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...mmits-from-usc

Subtract one of those. #2 safety and #31 player overall. Regardless of recruiting classes, Lane Kiffin will always find a game to lose that he shouldn't (or two). 99% of these 5 star recruits absolutely hinge in their coaching. Take two great examples from my Crimson Tide. Phillip Sims, who was a 4 or 5 star (can't recall) QB recruit who is now a 2nd string at Virginia. Or Star Jackson who was a 5 start RB recruit who is now a 3rd string WR at Georgia State, if I'm not mistaken. Then we had a 3 star RB recruit that you may remember by the name of Mark Ingram... What I'm trying to say is that recruit ratings are weighted way higher than they should be, and the recruits USUALLY don't end up being any better than the coach that is "raising" them. Just my 2 cents.
    You absolutely nailed it.

The kid who torched USC for 324 yards rushing, Kenjon Barner.... he was a 3 star CORNERBACK.

And Collin Klein. He was a 2-star recruit with no other 1-A offers.

Noles1992

wow had no idea about either of those Sam! Saw a 30/30 segment on Aaron Rodgers not even being recruited by any D1 and was snubbed by Bowden (Damn). Played at a juco, got picked up by Cal when coach Teleford was there to see another player. and you know the rest..

theAkathist

sorry guys look at the list of 5-star recruits in the last 5 years. about 90% of them are in the nfl right now. remember only like 20 players a year are selected 5-stars..........to have five or more of them come to one team is special

if i could lock in USC bcs champs 2014 +300 id slam it

SamDiamond

Quote Originally Posted by Noles1992 View Post
    wow had no idea about either of those Sam! Saw a 30/30 segment on Aaron Rodgers not even being recruited by any D1 and was snubbed by Bowden (Damn). Played at a juco, got picked up by Cal when coach Teleford was there to see another player. and you know the rest..
    There's so many of these stories.

Honey Badger for LSU-- 3 star player. Vinnie Sunseri for Alabama-- 2 star player.

Notre Dame's DL, Kapron Lewis-Moore didn't have an offer from a single Texas school, was 3-stars, and Kiper has him in the first round.

The list goes on and on.

A4K

sorry guys look at the list of 5-star recruits in the last 5 years. about 90% of them are in the nfl right now. remember only like 20 players a year are selected 5-stars..........to have five or more of them come to one team is special

Really? No more Barkley and you're ready to slam SC for as little as +300? GOOD LUCK! You'll need it.

SamDiamond

Not true.

In fact, there were as many 2-star players drafted in the first round as there were 5 star players

That is fact.

In the FIRST ROUND of last year's NFL draft...

These were all 3 star players in high school

Morris Claiborne
    Justin Blackmon
    Ryan Tannehill
    Kendall Wright
    Reilly Reiff
    David DeCastro
    Whitney Mercilus
    Kevin Zeitler
    AJ Jenkins

These were 2 star players

Luke Keuchly
    Doug Martin
    Shea McClellin
    Dontari Poe

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com...sp?CID=1359762

SamDiamond

I am editing this because I found more info.

In the last 7-10 years, there were approximately 200 5-star recruits, and only about 100 of them made it to the NFL.

Roughly 50%.

Here's a great link

http://sportsfordorks.squarespace.co...dont-work.html
    Last edited by SamDiamond; 11-05-12 at 06:30 PM.

theAkathist

Oh, and of the 108 5-star players Rivals has crowned from 2008-12, 41 have made it to the NFL.

That's 37%. Not exactly the 90% you were yapping about.

you caught me. i glanced at the 5star list and saw some popular names. 37% wow thats it

SamDiamond

One last nugget.

Landing 5 5-star players is not as special as you think.

USC did it in 2010.

Remember these names?

Dillon Baxter
    Markeith Ambles
    Kyle Prater
    Robert Woods
    Xavier Gimble

How'd they work out for USC?

Oh, and Florida signed 12 5-star players over a 3 year period, and Texas signed 14 over a 3 year period.

theAkathist

samdiamond i bet chris petersen would love these stats lol

A4K

samdiamond i bet chris petersen would love these stats lol
    LOL...that's funny.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Hey pal nobody gives a fukk about recruiting classes.

Noles1992

I am editing this because I found more info.

In the last 7-10 years, there were approximately 200 5-star recruits, and only about 100 of them made it to the NFL.

Roughly 50%.

Here's a great link

http://sportsfordorks.squarespace.co...dont-work.html
    Damn that an interesting site with some good info Sam! Btw one of the articles in there was by a guy with the last name Diamond, any relation? JK!
    Last edited by Noles1992; 11-05-12 at 07:16 PM.

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    Oregon will be lethal again next year....
    they wont be eligible for anything, theyre going to get crushed. Obviously this isnt making the rounds yet, but trust me, Oregon is going to get sanctioned into oblivion after this season. Not sure exactly whytheyre waiting, but it is coming.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Quote Originally Posted by wantitall4moi View Post
    they wont be eligible for anything, theyre going to get crushed. Obviously this isnt making the rounds yet, but trust me, Oregon is going to get sanctioned into oblivion after this season. Not sure exactly whytheyre waiting, but it is coming.
    Pretty sure I made a thread on it about 6 months ago

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

oregon's been in plea bargain mode with the ncaa for months now hoping for probation and loss of scholarships only. they admitted to 3 minor recruiting violations which should help them according to reports.

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    Pretty sure I made a thread on it about 6 months ago
    then you know, but that might have been the old stuff they have new stuff now, its bad enough I would say that with 90% certainty Chip Kelly will be leaving for the NFL after this year no matter what.

the recruiting violations are nothing, they have new stuff

Zuluhead2112

Quote Originally Posted by Noles1992 View Post
    Very true on what you just said!, I remember Sims and no idea he had transfered. For many years think it was the Vols seemed to always have a top 5 class, and were now where to be found in the top 25. Fsu had a few of those also! The coach and his supporting cast are a big factor. If I do remember correctly Pete Carroll had a great cast around him also.
    That's my point. Auburn has had a top 5-10 recruiting class the last 2 or 3 years I believe, and look where that has gotten them... When you coach has shit for brains, 5 stars doesn't really mean a whole lot.

I'm also not saying it doesn't mean anything, so don't get me wrong. T.J. Yeldon was a highly rated recruit who flopped from Auburn to Bama, and he is already paying dividends. Yeldon could end up being the best running back in Bama history, barring injuries, if he keeps progressing at the pace he has this far. For those of you who don't know, he is the RB who caught the game winning TD against LSU, and set an Alabama school record for rushing yards by a freshman when he torched Michigan for 150+ on the ground. I honestly haven't followed Kiffin closely enough to know how good he is at player development. Just like being a star in college doesn't always translate to the NFL, the same applies for HS to college. You have to have both a good recruiting base and great talent development. I'd much rather have a consistent top 30 class with a coach who can mold them into players than constant top 5 classes and a coach who can't do shit with players who have rough edges. That's what's so misleading about this recruit ratings, you never know if a 5 star player will end up being a Sims or a Clowney.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Five 5 star recruits had to set the program back a few mil...

Zuluhead2112

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Five 5 star recruits had to set the program back a few mil...
    They need to get with the 'Barners, they apparently found the recruit thrift store (a measly 80k for Scam Newton).

First 1234 Last