Sean81
    Sean81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 756

So Miss +17 vs. Central Florida

Interested if anyone else sees some value on the Golden Eagles this weekend.

True Frosh Anthony Alford, who was injured against WKU and was out for Louisville, will get start for So Miss coming off his best effort of the season in the 2H against Boise St. (Granted Boise had a comfortable lead at the time). He is a dual threat QB and former Army All-American who seems to be getting better with every snap. Interestingly, despite losing 40-14 to Boise, So Miss actually out gained BSU by 115 yards and had a 5.2-4.9 ypp advantage. So Miss was hampered by 5 to's which has been a theme this season.

So Miss is a pathetic 0-5 under the new coaching staff but think the record is misleading relative to the talent level of the team. To's have been a problem and the team has stalled too many times on the opposing teams 35 and in. WKU aside, I like DC Tommy West's defensive scheme which has done a decent job against the run. I would argue that through wk6 the So Miss SOS is very competitive on a national level. (Neb, ECU, WKU, Louisville, Boise St.).

UCF is as advertised with solid talent all around and an established coaching staff. I figure if this game were played in Orlando wk1 the line would have been less than 2 TD's and prob closer to 10. I think the line is an over adjustment considering nothing has changed fundamentally between the teams.

I expect the best effort of the season from the Golden Eagles tomorrow and think the line provides some value. Any thoughts appreciated.

Urbanwildlife
    Urbanwildlife's Avatar Become A Pro!

You might want to read the threads before posting about a game you are interested in, as there is already a recent thread about this game. Just saying ...., best of luck to you, as I am backing Central Florida. Also, very nice write up, good job!

Sean81

Ok thanks. I looked through a couple pages but did not see one. BOL on the weekend.

BlitzTheBooks
    BlitzTheBooks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1212

And my 2 cents, do NOT back SMiss. No way, no how. It may appear to have some value but that team is garbage.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Urbanwildlife

smack3179
    smack3179's Avatar Become A Pro!

Southern Miss is a great pick tomorrow. I am on it big myself!!!

Urbanwildlife

Quote Originally Posted by smack3179 View Post
    Southern Miss is a great pick tomorrow. I am on it big myself!!!
    You seem like a good guy smack3179, so I hate to see you disappointed, but that is what the results are going to be as the final seconds tick of the clock tomorrow!

smack3179

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanwildlife View Post
    You seem like a good guy smack3179, so I hate to see you disappointed, but that is what the results are going to be as the final seconds tick of the clock tomorrow!
    u seem like a good guy as well Urbanwildfire, so best of luck to you tomorrow and GO GOLDEN EAGLES!!!!

Urbanwildlife

The GOLDEN EAGLES are mostly definitely going to need all the cheering and positive energy you can provide them, but unfortunately for you, it is not going to be enough! You can have fun cheering though!

smack3179

The GOLDEN EAGLES are mostly definitely going to need all the cheering and positive energy you can provide them, but unfortunately for you, it is not going to be enough! You can have fun cheering though!
    I always do bro!!It'll be even better when i'm countin the cash!!! Everything aside man, i really do wish u the best tomorrow!!

Urbanwildlife

and the same back to you!

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

I watched that Boise St 2ndH, and that backup for S Miss was lighting up Boise's defense.

Urbanwildlife

For my sake, and the sake of the rest of the Central Florida betters, I hope that is not the case tomorrow!

Also, best of luck to you tomorrow Houlihans, as I hope you are able to bring home many winners!

M.W.
    M.W.'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6270

He is a dual threat QB
    interesting. I've never seen him punt.

M.W.
    M.W.'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6270

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    I watched that Boise St 2ndH, and that backup for S Miss was lighting up Boise's defense.
    The backup was not playing in the 2H. It was Alford, the starter.

Urbanwildlife

Look at the number of points Southern Miss is giving up. Out of 5 games, 3 of them they have gave up 40 or more points, and none of those teams were powerhouses. On the other hand, Central Florida has shown it can put points on the board reaching 30 points or more in 3 out of there 5 games, while there defense has been not great but decent. The one common opponent they both have played is East Carolina where Southern Miss lost by 10, and Central Florida beat them by 20.

2012 OVERALL FBS RANKINGS

PASSING YARDS

135.4 119th Overall

RUSHING YARDS

168.8 59th Overall

POINTS FOR

16.4 115th Overall

POINTS AGAINST

35.2 107th Overall

2012 Southern Miss Golden Eagles Schedule
    DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME RECORD/TICKETS
    Sat, Sept 1 0-1 (0-0)
    Sat, Sept 15 0-2 (0-1)
    Sat, Sept 22 0-3 (0-1)
    Sat, Sept 29 0-4 (0-1)
    Sat, Oct 6 0-5 (0-1)

Now here is Central Florida's stats:

012 OVERALL FBS RANKINGS

PASSING YARDS

245.2 53rd Overall

RUSHING YARDS

154.8 74th Overall

POINTS FOR

32.2 48th Overall

POINTS AGAINST

21.2 39th Overall

2012 UCF Knights Schedule
    DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME RECORD/TICKETS
    Thu, Aug 30 1-0 (0-0)
    Sat, Sept 8 1-1 (0-0)
    Sat, Sept 15 2-1 (0-0)
    Sat, Sept 29 2-2 (0-0)
    Thu, Oct 4 3-2 (1-0)
    Last edited by Urbanwildlife; 10-13-12 at 01:34 AM. Reason: added content

Sean81

Thanks for all the input.

50/50 on if I play the game. The So Miss team is better than they appear in the stat book. My primary argument is the line is adjusted without reason.

@M.W. Alford was the starter for the year but split time among other Qb's, was hurt against WKU, and played the 2h vs. Boise.

BlitzTheBooks

You could be right on over-valued vs under-valued. I HAMMERED Boise State at -10 against SMiss b/c I knew everyone and their brother was paying attention to SMiss hanging with Louisville and Boise nearly blowing a lead against NM.

But what a majority of people didn't see (public at least, the ones that just 'box score bet') was the torrential downpour that all but eliminated passing against a Louisville team that isn't great on the road and relies on their QB's arm. And Boise nearly losing was a case of back ups committing multiple turnovers. One garbage score turned into many for NM.

Made a prime spot for Boise to be undervalued and SMiss to be over.

My only concern is UCF attempting to really get their running game going. Lived in Orlando for the last 5 years before heading out here to Vegas and it's all my buddies back home (guys that follow the program) are talking about. Run, run, run this week against a SMiss team that gives up 199 yards on the ground.

Possibly good for a 1st half bet though if it stays 10 or below. SMiss only averages 8 points in the 1H, UCF only allows 8. On the flip side, UCF score 19 in the first and SMiss allows 17. Gotta think road game will likely cause a slow start.
    Last edited by BlitzTheBooks; 10-13-12 at 02:16 AM.

Urbanwildlife

I watched that Louisville/Southern Miss game via a stream, and have never in my life have I seen a game played in so much rain, or a field that held that much rain, as it was like it was not draining at all.

BlitzTheBooks

I watched that Louisville/Southern Miss game via a stream, and have never in my life have I seen a game played in so much rain, or a field that held that much rain, as it was like it was not draining at all.
    It was ridiculous. And the lack of tackling by Louisville was driving me insane. That game should have never been played (of course I think that b/c I lost a bet on it )

Sean81

This is a prime time game and So Miss is the correct side. BOL to all

Urbanwildlife

Quote Originally Posted by Sean81 View Post
    This is a prime time game and So Miss is the correct side. BOL to all
    All the more reason for the team with the most talent and playing at home to rise to the top!