SBRforum Staff
    SBRforum Staff's Avatar Become A Pro!

Matt Fargo: Back Buffs vs. Baylor

Back Buffs vs. Baylor

Game Time: 10/7/2006 3:30:00 PM
    By: Matt Fargo
    http://www.procappers.com

Colorado is looking to turn their season around and avenge last year's loss to Baylor when the Buffs host the Bears this Saturday.

Colorado has dropped its first five games this season, but the Buffaloes have not been getting blown out on the stat sheet.

They easily could have defeated Colorado St. and Georgia. Last week, against Missouri, Colorado outgained the Tigers 373-353 but the problem came down to 4th-down executions. The Buffaloes went 0-5 on fourth down, including two failed attempts inside the redzone. They are now back home and this is the game to turn the season around.

Baylor heads out on the road for just the second time this season after defeating Kansas St. over the weekend. Kansas St. outgained the Bears 341-312, but five turnovers, including two inside the Baylor 10-yard line and another at the 24-yard line, killed three scoring opportunities. Baylor has a new spread offense this season, but the results are not coming in very fast as it has yet to score more than 20 points in any of its four games against I-A opponents.

Baylor is the worst running team in the Big XII, averaging only 27.4 ypg, nearly 60 yards fewer than the next highest team, Texas Tech. The Bears are averaging a minuscule 1.5 ypc and have scored one touchdown on the ground this season. It isn’t only due to the fact they have become a pass oriented team. Head coach Guy Moriss wants to average at least 5.0 ypc and they are nowhere near that and the reason behind it is that the offensive line has not been able to block anyone.

Expect the Colorado defense to try and hide some things this week. According to Missouri players, Colorado can thank the Georgia coaching staff for communicating much of the Buffaloes' defensive calls and tendencies to Missouri coaches in the week leading up to the game. While that might seem shady, it’s part of the game and Colorado will have to disguise their looks. The defense has been the strength and will likely play another strong game. The Colorado offense is finally starting to come around even though it isn’t showing on the scoreboard. Quarterback Bernard Jackson made some of his best plays yet in his fourth career start against the Tigers.

Not only do the Buffaloes want to get into the win column, but it’s homecoming in Boulder and they are looking to avenge last seasons’ loss at Baylor, just the second Big XII Conference victory for Baylor since the league was formed. Revenge is sweet and the Buffaloes get into the win column.

Play: Colorado

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well if Colorado is ever going to win a game this year this would be one of them. The problem is that this Buffallo's team is just in complete diseray right now, and i couldn't back them in this game at all. If anything I would back Baylor in this game myself if I were to play it at all.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

I wouldn't back this Colorado team even with your money, Dan.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

though i have no intentions of betting this game, we (buffs) are getting better every week.

i can't believe we've lost 9 in a row

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

not quite sure what to make of this one...was surprised to see CU favored by this many, but Baylor has struggled more than I thought they would this year...