SBRforum Staff
    SBRforum Staff's Avatar Become A Pro!

Jimmy Boyd: Maryland +17½

Jimmy Boyd: Maryland +17½

By: Jimmy Boyd
    http://www.procappers.com

West Virginia is a strong team, but they're giving up too many points tonight at home to Maryland.

Maryland and West Virginia have played each other every year since 1980 and the all-time series is knotted at 21-21-2. As even as this series has been, my first instinct is to take the 17½ points Maryland is getting but the Terrapins have dropped two straight to the Big East powerhouse.

However, the Mountaineers have not won three straight over the Terrapins since 1996-1998.

Maryland was in good position to disallow any winning streaks by its Big East rivals last season before giving up 24 4th-quarter points to lose 31-19. With getting better than two touchdowns, one factor looking good for Maryland is the fact that West Virginia hasn’t been tested at all in its first two games.

Tailback Steve Slaton and quarterback Pat White didn’t even play the entire game against Eastern Washington last Saturday. These two highly-touted skill players will likely start slow in their first real test of the season. Due to playing two extremely weak opponents to begin the season, West Virginia has the top rushing offense in the nation, the third in total yards, and the sixth in points.

Maryland’s offense has been shaky. The Terps turned the ball over four times in their season opener to I-AA William & Mary and they were outgained by Middle Tennessee last Saturday. However, Maryland has proven that its defense will be a formidable force this season. It was Maryland’s defense which kept the Terps in nearly every game last year. The Terps will be pumped up to play a team that they had beat last season. We will see their best effort of the season to this point and a much more aggressive offensive approach by coach Ralph Friedgen.

Hollenbach played a career game last year against the Mountaineers and that will give him an extra boost of confidence in this one. Maryland’s quarterback threw for 291 yards on 20-for-31 passing in last year’s matchup, and I like him to have a great game again this year as West Virginia only returns one starter in the secondary.

The fact that this game is being played on a Thursday night also lends me to give the nod to the Terps as it will give the Mountaineers less time to prepare for their first test of the season. Maryland also has to deal with the same time constraints, but preparation won’t be as critical for the Terrapins as they know what to expect with West Virginia. The Mountaineers are going to run the ball nearly every play.

The most important factor for the Terps is just to play like they have nothing to lose because they don’t. Also, not having to wait until Saturday gives Maryland’s passing attack the advantage as West Virginia’s inexperienced defensive backs won’t get as good of a look at the Terps’ offensive sets as they would in a normal week.

There’s no doubt that West Virginia is a good offensive football team and it will move the ball against Maryland despite Maryland boasting a solid defense. The Terps will be able to pass the football against West Virginia however, and I’ll take them in this one as better than two touchdown dogs with a small play.

Play: Maryland +17½

InSpades
    InSpades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 104

I hope he is right. I have a nice chunk of change on Maryland.

IS

ivyconniver
    ivyconniver's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

A gree.

chadwick
    chadwick's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am with all of you here for a small play.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

takes a lot of balls to bet against WVU...GL though...

sportsfreek2184
    sportsfreek2184's Avatar Become A Pro!

sweet pick jimmy, wv had this covered in 10 mins, you suck

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

man, WVU was so damn fast it was crazy...