SBRforum Staff
    SBRforum Staff's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mike Rose: Illinois vs. Rutgers

Mike Rose: Illinois vs. Rutgers

Last season’s match-up between theses schools saw the Illini put forth a huge comeback and win the game by a 33-30 count in OT.

That loss killed the Knights as they let a 27-7 lead in the third quarter get away from them. However, it was Rutgers that went on to their first bowl game in 27 year’s last season, while Illinois turned into the Big 10’s doormat and lost all eight of their games.

Rutgers almost let another one slip away last week in Chapel Hill, but their defense came up with a huge pick to secure the victory. RB Ray Rice rushed for 201 yards and a career-high three touchdowns, and QB Mike Teel was 14-of-20 passing for 145 yards for Rutgers (1-0), which began its season with a win for the fourth time in coach Greg Schiano's six seasons. Illinois pasted E. Illinois churning out 519 yards of offense, and rushed for six touchdowns and more than 300 yards for the first time since a 63-21 win over Virginia in the 1999 MicronPC.com Bowl. All the positive yardage gained on the ground by both teams last week leads me to believe more is in store Saturday afternoon.

Rutgers allowed UNC to rush for 169 yards of their own, and that should have the Illini’s three headed RB attack of Thomas, Mendenhall, and Halsey all licking their chops heading into this one. Illinois’ defense was gouged on the ground a year ago allowing 234 YPG, and returns 10 starters from that unit. I’m sure they’ve improved some, but not enough to handle the likes of RB Rice and FB Leonard. All this running is going to open up the passing lanes for both QB’s, and I’m looking for both of these teams to score in bunches.

The clock will be moving the entire game with the new rules, but that won’t be enough to stop these squads from soaring ‘Over’ the counterbalanced number that’s been posted for this afternoon.

Game Time: 9/9/2006 12:00:00 PM

Play: Over.

By: Mike Rose
    http://www.who2beton.com

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Does anyone like Rutgers as a side? For years, they have been consistently underrated, and a spread-covering machine.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

this game was truly a debacle...I can't believe I put my money on Illinois...

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Quote Originally Posted by pags11
    this game was truly a debacle...I can't believe I put my money on Illinois...
    I cant believe Im thinking of doing it next week.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

you're a braver man than me onlooker...