SBRforum Staff
    SBRforum Staff's Avatar Become A Pro!

Colorado at Colorado St - Sep 9th

Buffs to bounce Rams

By: Matt Fargo
    http://www.procappers.com
    After their embarrassing loss to I-AA Montana State last week, Colorado has to bounce back this week against in-state rivals Coloardo State.

Colorado’s loss to Montana St. this past Saturday goes down as one of the worst in program history and, because of that, many think the Buffaloes are already cooked.

But that can actually work in CU's favor.

Looking ahead to this game will never be admitted, but there is a strong case for that. The Rams looked excellent in their opener and while it can be said that they had no problem with their I-AA opponent unlike Colorado, those games at this point are meaningless.

Colorado St. took a huge hit when running back Kyle Bell went down for the season with a torn ACL. Gartrell Johnson takes over for Bell but the outlook is not good. Johnson's average of 1.9 ypc after running for 34 yards on 18 carries against Weber St. is very unimpressive and Colorado does bring a lot more to the table. The Buffaloes did hold Montana St. to only 50 yards rushing on 35 carries (1.4 ypc). Johnson's average of 1.9 yards a carry needs to increase for the Rams to move the ball consistently against major college schools.

Making matters worse, starting center Tim Walter is expected to miss several weeks with a sprained knee. Rams head coach Sonny Lubick said freshman Brian Lepak, a candidate for a redshirt year, will work as the backup center.

Colorado had one of the best rushing defenses in the country a season ago, finishing 11th in the nation. And while that ranking will be hard to replicate in 2006, it will be very above average. The defensive line needs to replace three starters but three of the four linebackers are back so whatever deficiencies the line may have will be made up in the middle. The Rams lead the nation in rushing defense after limiting Weber State to minus-38 yards last Saturday in a 30-6 win. While the Rams were dominant against a Division I-AA team, they know things will be much more difficult Saturday when they face Colorado.

Even though the Buffaloes were limited to 216 total yards, and just 106 on the ground, in their shocking loss to Montana State, they traditionally have rushed the ball well against Colorado St. With talented runners Charles and Mell Holiday available, the Colorado ground game could break loose at any time. The defensive front is supremely confident after producing seven sacks and completely shutting down the Wildcats' running game but Weber's offensive line consistently was overmatched, which happens a lot when a major school plays a I-AA team.

The Buffaloes will be healthier this week as well. Head coach Dan Hawkins expects to have offensive lineman Jack Tipton, defensive lineman Alex Ligon and tight end Tyson DeVree available for Saturday. All three missed the season opener because of injuries.

Look for Colorado to rebound and take its frustrations out on an overmatched Rams team who have lost 12 of the last 16 meetings.

Play: Colorado

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

i definitely don't see a reason to play CSU here...I could see this one...dog has done well in the series too...