Pistol Pete
    Pistol Pete's Avatar Become A Pro!

OK this new clock rule SUCKS!!!

Ok first let me say that im not just saying this b/c I lost a bet. When you talk to most people they tell you they like college football much better then pros. But these guys decided lets mess with a good thing and make sure we dont run over 3 hours for tv.

Its not so bad except that it ruins the game when it matters most, like tonight in the final 2 min. Miami was forced to use a timeout on 1st down b/c of the new rule. So they do a great job stopping them and now only have 1 min left with no time outs.

Ok still plenty of time normally in college football, but now that they start the clock even after a first down not so much time. Now the new rule did not cause miami to lose tonight, playing like temple in the second half did. This new though is taking the excitment and possibility out of the end of the game. Imagine the reaction tonight if miami drived up the field and into field goal range on 1st down and couldnt get the kicking team on the field b/c time ran out?

Sorry for the rant I just really think this rule blows, all the great comeback and last second finishes we have come to love will now be slim to none. They need to do something with this rule where in the final 2 min it does not apply or something. Anyone agree or disagree?

rolemand
    rolemand's Avatar Become A Pro!

Agree 100%. Last minute comebacks will be none existant this year. How different would last years USC / ND game be if these rules were in place.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

I agree, the new time rules blow.

The clock starts when the ball is kicked as well. That is wasting plays if you ask me.

Im just glad they were there for tonight, as Im a FSU fan and it was impossible for Miami to go down and have time to setup for a fieldgoal.

sjelveh
    sjelveh's Avatar Become A Pro!

you guys are right on

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not sure yet. Need a few weeks to figure this one out to see the different possibilities. Had FSU so wasn't really looking for it. Probably teams will keep all their timeouts for the end in every close game.

Clock still stops when you run out of bounds and on first down right?

On a positive note, I'm very happy with the instant replay. What a huge difference that makes for bettors!
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 09-04-06 at 11:16 PM.

clonecat
    clonecat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

If they wanted to shorten the game, why not do something normal and either #1) keep the clock running on first downs or #2) start the clock once the ball is put in play after a ball is ran out of bounds.

Obviously, the people making the rule changes don't have much of an education

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse
    Clock still stops when you run out of bounds and on first down right?
    Yes it stops on first downs, but starts on the "ready to play" whisle. Instead of the snap of the ball. So there is still time lost on first downs.

Yes, they are going to have to play more like NFL 2 minute drives. Pass to the sidelines and step out of bounds, to preserve the time. Its going to take better coaching, and better time management skills to win in the closing minutes of games now.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thanks.

I think this timesaver frees up time for refs reviewing plays. No problem there. After all, that's a time-out every time as well. So teams can hang on to their time-outs more easily. We'll have fewer plays per game, but I'll take that anytime over botched zebra calls.

How many seconds on average between the ready-to-play whistle and the snap? I agree that it only really matters on the final drive. I suppose teams will practice more on running out of bounds, so in the end the difference may turn out to be very small.

custer
    custer's Avatar Become A Pro!

"Yes it stops on first downs, but starts on the "ready to play" whisle. Instead of the snap of the ball. So there is still time lost on first downs."

This is incorrect.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by custer
    "Yes it stops on first downs, but starts on the "ready to play" whisle. Instead of the snap of the ball. So there is still time lost on first downs."

This is incorrect.
    Please, correct me. What part did I fcuk up on? The time stopping on first downs?

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Here is the rule I was refering to:
    Rule 3-2-5-e, When Clock Starts
    Change: When Team B is awarded a first down, the clock will be stopped and will start on the ready for play signal.

Rationale: By starting the clock, the committee estimates it will shorten the game by about five minutes, according to studies by several Division I-A conferences.
    Seems like that is how I explained it.

All the rule changes can be found in this thread: 2006 Rule Changes

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think they need to modify this rule for sure...but in the meantime it helps the dogs as it shortens the game significantly...

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I like it now, before it was a joke as whoever had the ball last would win. The game is more skill now and requires more thinking. It was a joke to see the last 2 minutes of a NCAAF game last 40 minutes.

Good Job NCAA

JoshW
    JoshW's Avatar Become A Pro!

I was so out of the loop, I only learned of this rule last nigth. I assume average totals have to drop with this new rule even if justy slightly.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Games are much better now

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

The teams are going to have to learn to play with the new rule and that's going to take a few games to get used to. I'm not sure it's a bad rule, at least withholding judgment for the time being. But the fact that it's made strictly for TV and not to make the game necessarily better is what sticks in my craw. I realize playing to the TV execs, advertisers and audience is a necessary evil, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

Might be interesting to track all the unders until each team has 2-3 games under its belt. Just like the teams needing time to adjust, the line setters will need time as well.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

I think the earlier comment was correct. The first down situation is not changed (despite what Mike Patrick said last night and corrected by Blackledge). On a first down, the clock stops until they set the chains. Once the chains are set, the ref starts the clock. This is the same rule as always. The "ready to play" thing is confusing people.

The only 2 rule changes are clock starts on the touch of the ball on kickoffs, and clock starts on ready to play on change of possessions.

I agree the rule sucks. They should use the new rule until 5 minutes remain and then play as normal. Miami would have needed 4 timeouts to save time in the last 2 minutes, and if a team only has 2 in that spot they are totally screwed.

College should just do what the NFL did on running clock on out of bounds plays until the 4th quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker
    Please, correct me. What part did I fcuk up on? The time stopping on first downs?

TexAg001
    TexAg001's Avatar Become A Pro!

OK here is my problem with it. The clock still stops on incomplete passes and out of bounds plays right? So those jerk off team like Texas Tech who thow the ball 70 times a game are still going to have games that last forever. Meanwhile the running teams games are going to be even shorter. Like Doug Flutie said in the first game of the year...If you want to shorten the game then shorten the game. Make it 13 minutes quarters but dont go jacking with the rules.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Quote Originally Posted by TexAg001
    OK here is my problem with it. The clock still stops on incomplete passes and out of bounds plays right? So those jerk off team like Texas Tech who thow the ball 70 times a game are still going to have games that last forever. Meanwhile the running teams games are going to be even shorter. Like Doug Flutie said in the first game of the year...If you want to shorten the game then shorten the game. Make it 13 minutes quarters but dont go jacking with the rules.
    Excellent points, Ag I could remember someone saying something about just shortening the time on the clock, but couldn't recall exactly who said it.

Seattle Slew

Another big problem in the college games going 3:45 to 4 hours is the halftimes are too long. What's the break in college, like 25 to 30 minutes so the bands can play? In the NFL, it's 15-minute limit and play resumes. I don't even think they could reduce the band's time since it takes them 5 minutes each way to enter/exit the field.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew
    I think the earlier comment was correct. The first down situation is not changed (despite what Mike Patrick said last night and corrected by Blackledge). On a first down, the clock stops until they set the chains. Once the chains are set, the ref starts the clock. This is the same rule as always. The "ready to play" thing is confusing people.
    No, it use to be when the ball was snapped when the clock started again, after a first down.

Now it starts after the ball is "ready to play".

Unless I just overlooked this up to now.

pags11

everyone's freaking out about the new rules...

custer
    custer's Avatar Become A Pro!

"No, it use to be when the ball was snapped when the clock started again, after a first down."

This is the part that is incorrect. Only on a change of possession did the clock not start until the snap. This is the only part that is changed. How they handle the clock when the offense converts a 3rd or 4th down into a 1st is unchanged.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

I could of swore the clock didnt start until the ball was snapped after a first down.

So why would they make this new rule, if it is unchanged?
    Rule 3-2-5-e, When Clock Starts
    Change: When Team B is awarded a first down, the clock will be stopped and will start on the ready for play signal.

Rationale: By starting the clock, the committee estimates it will shorten the game by about five minutes, according to studies by several Division I-A conferences.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker
    I could of swore the clock didnt start until the ball was snapped after a first down.

So why would they make this new rule, if it is unchanged?
    Onlooker, I promise you that in previous years after a first down, the clock was stopped until the chains were set and then the clock resumed. It had nothing to do with the snap of the football.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by isetcap
    Onlooker, I promise you that in previous years after a first down, the clock was stopped until the chains were set and then the clock resumed. It had nothing to do with the snap of the football.
    Ok Iset. I just must never paid to much attention to it before.

But it is going to be interesting to see how teams adjust to these new clock rules as the season goes on. We may find out who the smarter coaches are.

pags11

isetcap is correct here regarding the clock starting once the chains were set...they've got the game all screwed up now...they should just put things back like they were and not stop the clock after first downs...

Seattle Slew

I don't think this rule change will last more than this season. Easy fix would be keep the new rule, except in the final 5 minutes or even the 4th quarter. They'd still shave some time off the games without affecting the final minutes of play.

spliff
    spliff's Avatar Become A Pro!

dumb ass change, why can't people leave shit alone? Not everything needs to be improved!

pags11

also agree with seattle slew that some of these rules will be ammended next year...