bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

2006 Louisville Football Breakdown

The Cardinals have a very experienced team returning this year. with 8 starters returning on the offensive side, and 7 starters returning on the defensive side of the ball coach Bobby Petrino has a chance to really make a big impact in the big east this year.

Junior QB Brian Brohm should be able to put up some great numbers this year with that great surrounding cast of skilled positional players returning this year. I also feel this team can match that 43.4 PPG they averaged last season.

Senior LB Nate Harris anchors this experienced defesive core the Cardinals have returning this year. Louisville's defense should be much imporved this year and shouldn't give up more than 300 yards a game.

heres there schedule:

Sept. 2 Kentucky Louisvlle, KY
    Sept. 9 at Temple Philadelphia, PA
    Sept. 16 Miami(FL) Louisville, KY
    Sept. 23 at Kansas State Manhattan, KS
    Oct. 6 vs. Middle Tennessee State Nashville, TN
    Oct. 14 Cincinnati Louisvlle, KY
    Oct. 21 at Syracuse Syracuse, NY
    Nov. 2 West Virginia Louisville, KY
    Nov. 9 at Rutgers Piscataway, NJ
    Nov. 18 USF Louisville, KY
    Nov. 25 at Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA
    Dec. 2 Connecticut Louisville, KY

my projection for the cardinals is 10-2

bigboydan

Brohm tries to shake off rust as Cardinals open

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -Louisville quarterback Brian Brohm took five steps backward, planted and threw.

The motion didn't look much different than the one that helped him win Big East Offensive Player of the Year last season, when he threw for 2,883 yards and 19 touchdowns while guiding the Cardinals to a 9-3 record and their first January bowl game in 15 years.

Brohm's surgically repaired right knee - the one he injured in the third quarter of a win over Syracuse last November - showed no signs of weakness during Louisville's first day of practice on Friday. Brohm was wearing a bulky brace over the knee.

Brohm's pass floated into the hands of linebacker Chase Floyd, who trotted down the field with the ball until one of the coaches blew the whistle.

For all the progress Brohm has made since the injury, all the weights he lifted and all the film he watched, he knew it wouldn't totally prepare him for what happens when it starts to count.

``It's always different when you get out here on the field,'' Brohm said. ``I definitely had a little rust coming back where I haven't been out there with the whole team out there but I felt pretty good about it for the first day.''

And as remarkable as Brohm's recovery has been, coach Bobby Petrino knows there's still a long way to go between now and the Cardinals' season-opener against Kentucky on Sept. 3, both for Brohm and the rest of his teammates.

``He wasn't as accurate as he normally is and the receivers dropped some balls on him,'' Petrino said. ``The passing game wasn't as sharp as it needed to be. Usually, it's not just one person, it's the timing of everybody. Drop a ball here, make a bad throw there and it all compounds and builds up and makes the head coach unhappy about it.''

Petrino knows cohesion will come with time. And while he liked the Cardinals' enthusiasm, he was a little worried they might have been a little too fired up as they worked out in helmets and shorts. At one point he had to remind them not to get too physical.

``We got to learn how to practice right, that's what I'm concerned about,'' Petrino said. ``We don't need anyone going to the ball. We don't need anyone trying to be tough when there's no pads on.''

The Cardinals have already lost one player to injury. Freshman safety Brandon Heath fractured his right foot two weeks ago and will be out at least a month. Petrino said it's uncertain whether Heath will come back this year or be redshirted.

The Cardinals will practice in helmet and shorts again on Saturday as part of Fan Fest, which could draw over 5,000 fans to Papa John's Cardinal Stadium. Their first workout in full pads will be on Tuesday.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

a very talented, well coached team...if they beat WVU and some others lose, could play for the national title...

bigboydan

this game right here will tell the tale on the louisvillie season pags.

Sept. 16 Miami(FL) Louisville, KY
    they do play at home against the canes this year, and it is early enough in the season to recover from that type of loss. the problem being in the schedule they play.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

You've got to like a team's chances that will be favored in every game - the same reason I consider Auburn and USC national championship contenders. Those are the only three teams (maybe Texas - though they will be around pk vs OU and @ TT) from major conferences that wouldn't be a dog to anyone on their schedule if they played today.

I think Louisville beats both Miami and West Virginia relatively easily, but takes a spill on the road, most likely at Pittsburgh, and finishes 11-1.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

forgot that the 'Ville plays the U...that game's going to be great!...

bigboydan

the Michael bush injury tonight still doesn't look all that bad when you look at the remaining schedule they have left to play. whats the worse they are gonna do 9-3

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

They should still do well. Just not that big of a threat anymore with the loss of Bush. The two backs they have now, to carry the load, should do fine.

The Big East is West Virginia's to lose now.