SportGTI
    Update your status
    SportGTI's Avatar Become A Pro!

Maybe it's time to hang up the old gambling belt

I really love gambling; I've learned a lot during my tenure, but it just seems like I'm destined to lose. Two weeks in a row, I've lost a game due to a yard. I had a huge parlay (payout of almost 12000) in which the Vikes need a yard with 9 seconds left. Then not only do they not get that yard, they lose 60 yards. Really??

Today, I've got a huge chunk on Utah State over Ohio. Feel really good about the wager and see them control the game for 58 minutes. Up by 6, they punt the ball and allow the Bobcats to get down to the 1 yard line and of course, this time the team punches the yard in..rather easily too.

Twice I've been shafted by the lone yard and I just cannot seem to get a handle on this.

Just frustrated (doubt I'll give it up) but I just need a bit of luck and not finding any

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

definitely demoralizing ways to lose, but if your strategy is to play few select games for nice chunks and you're a good read at sports then things will turn around. how often do you play parlays rather than straight bets for varying units? keep your head up gl

SportGTI
    Update your status

Thanks paranoyd. I don't normally play parlays (that parlay last week was just a nice little gamble something I expected to lose kind of thing....but when it comes down to a yard, it hurts).

I normally play single games and I've just been in a funk. Close games end up in blowouts. Games being in hand for 58 out of 60 minutes lose. For instance, I'm on the Blues over predators and though the blues have the game controlled, they are in a nil nil draw and I'm expecting a goal by the predators soon or a loss in a shootout. I just know how the games go

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Im with you sport been doing this a lil over a decade time for a new hobby been on alot of these im getting worn down takes up alot of my time.... Could have been out and about im inside all day in-gaming and getting backdoored I live in so cal for fukks sakes not north dakota wtf am I doing inside all day

Pivotpoint
    Pivotpoint's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3817

Bad beats are part of betting. Gambling always seems to go in streaks. Nothing is better to enhance the viewing pleasure as a wager. I find it hard to keep sharp if I'm betting multiple sports at the same time. Handicapping NCAA basketball, football + NHL and NFL can be real tough, unless you have tons of time. I often get hot in College football and then give it back in the NFL or vice versa.

Sometimes it's smart to just take a day or two off when things aren't going your way and start fresh. Now, tommorrow is Sunday, and I'm guessing no way you are going to take the day off. Consider reducing bet size. Maybe pick your best 1pm and 4pm game and just play that. The worm will turn soon. Hope you catch fire on Sunday.

SportGTI
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    Im with you sport been doing this a lil over a decade time for a new hobby been on alot of these im getting worn down takes up alot of my time.... Could have been out and about im inside all day in-gaming and getting backdoored I live in so cal for fukks sakes not north dakota wtf am I doing inside all day
    I'm with you teaserpleaser. I'm inside all day on the computer checking lines; reading forums; reading injury reports; looking for the next game to bet on and make some money. Sometimes I wonder, is it worth it to make a few extra bucks or in my recent case, lose a few extra bucks.

SportGTI
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Pivotpoint View Post
    Bad beats are part of betting. Gambling always seems to go in streaks. Nothing is better to enhance the viewing pleasure as a wager. I find it hard to keep sharp if I'm betting multiple sports at the same time. Handicapping NCAA basketball, football + NHL and NFL can be real tough, unless you have tons of time. I often get hot in College football and then give it back in the NFL or vice versa.

Sometimes it's smart to just take a day or two off when things aren't going your way and start fresh. Now, tommorrow is Sunday, and I'm guessing no way you are going to take the day off. Consider reducing bet size. Maybe pick your best 1pm and 4pm game and just play that. The worm will turn soon. Hope you catch fire on Sunday.
    Thanks pivotpoint. I understand bad beats are a part of the game. Maybe I'm just frustrated and it seems like they are coming more and more whereas I just remember them more.

70CoupeDeVille
    70CoupeDeVille's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 672

And you'll remember those bad beats far longer than the wins you eked out. I still remember the first time I risked a nickel, some 20 years ago. This was before the days of NFL Sunday Ticket, so I went to a sports bar, chewed my lower lip for three hours as my cover grew ever surer, only to watch the Jets Mary me from midfield as time expired. So many flavors of bad beats: burned in my brain is video replay of that Cowboys' defensive lineman grabbing a Super Bowl fumble, hauling ass for the endzone but getting the ball punched out of his casual grip right before making it in, my big prop payoff there and then gone in a flash. I'm well past getting adrenaline rushes anymore, and I've forgotten the names of half the women I've bagged, but I remember every single bad beat in 20 years betting on football. I'm sure those film clips will streak through my mind in chronologically ordered sequence -- the "box set" -- in a special moment of its own, as I'm kicking the bucket. Which will be fine, 'cause that's life and it'll make me smile as I close my eyes for good ( ! )
    Last edited by 70CoupeDeVille; 12-17-11 at 09:55 PM.

SportGTI
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by SportGTI View Post
    Thanks paranoyd. I don't normally play parlays (that parlay last week was just a nice little gamble something I expected to lose kind of thing....but when it comes down to a yard, it hurts).

I normally play single games and I've just been in a funk. Close games end up in blowouts. Games being in hand for 58 out of 60 minutes lose. For instance, I'm on the Blues over predators and though the blues have the game controlled, they are in a nil nil draw and I'm expecting a goal by the predators soon or a loss in a shootout. I just know how the games go
    And the Blues lose in the shootout just as I expected. Another good way to end a Saturday night :/

paranoyd androyd

sorry to hear it man, is nfl a strength of yours? gl

cmatth1326
    cmatth1326's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7538

I wish I could quit as well. My life would be so much more productive and peaceful. I just get so bored in the winter.

paranoyd androyd

Quote Originally Posted by cmatth1326 View Post
    I wish I could quit as well. My life would be so much more productive and peaceful. I just get so bored in the winter.
    pretty sure that's how most people are here - basically play the football season and then hoops while there's overlap with football, but then fade out of hoops eventually gl

BetterBizness
    My chicks!
    BetterBizness's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7638

well.. a yard a point... Lost Wyoming Under by the idiot 2 pt conversion for a dime and a half... lost by a Free Throw in the La Tech game lose another dime on my 3 teamer... tough day ...

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

dont feel bad sportgti..

i've lost 10 in a row..

2 soccer games in the 93' minute..

montana by 3 last night.

utah state today.

3 teasers by 1 team

im just figuring when im re loadin

Weems2k
    Fat!!!
    Weems2k's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8848

I think my gambling days are on hold for a long time. First the Rams couldn't even cover the 17pts I teased on Monday. Then Vancouver screws my parlay by losing to lowly Columbus. Next we have the pathetic Jags scoring that garbage TD in the final min to kill my 2nd Half wager. And now finally, this crappy FG last night by L-LF. Having SD St. teased to -1, I would have only pushed, but it's better than losing outright.

MTek
    MTek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2860

Im an average gamble, hitting a little less then 50% over the long haul on my own plays. I also lock in with an SBR capper and ride his plays consistently, for the most part I'm able to keep a pretty balanced bankroll, for a decent duration

I deposit what i can afford to lose and assume I'll eventually lose it all, it just a matter of how long that takes. I do get enjoyment out of the "chase" and I'm hoping after several years of "learning" I'll able to turn a consistent profit

I go streaky almost weekly...hitting 6 or 8 then losing 8 out of 10, its just part of it

I do feel disconnected from society sometimes because im either researching on the net, or watching a game but most of the time would be lost to some other meaningless activity anyway so its not a big deal

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

It's all part of the game. It is human nature to remember the tough losses, but forget the lucky wins. It all balances out in the end. If you lost confidence, it is time to move on. Take a break for a while. This game is all about confidence.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    Sport gl with what you decide to do im out had the giants ML of course they dont show up for a division game they must win @ home .... But I didnt stay and sweat this shit went to pasadena for lunch going to movies tonight its a breeze no more blowing my weekends watching sports from 9: am to 9pm