kalmikrazy
    kalmikrazy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

Can OU beat Texas?

Any thoughts on this weekends BIG matchup. I guess its only big in okla and texas this year as OU has been average.

I feel if OU can contain Young's running, he will be one dimensional and OU can pull it off. If OU wins this game, it will be Stoops best acheivement as Sooners coach other than beating fsu as a 12 pt dog.

OldeTymePlaya
    OldeTymePlaya's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by kalmikrazy
    I feel if OU can contain Young's running, he will be one dimensional and OU can pull it off.
    That's a huge if but anything is possible in these games

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

there's a shot...I'm on OU +14...

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

OKl for me too

HAPPY BOY
    HAPPY BOY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 800

take it to the bank Texas hates OU and OU is god aweful. Revenge is calling and Texas is answering this is there game. Texas has a history of faltering in big games but facts are facts
    1, fact #1 texas beat Ohio state at home (they finally beat a ranked team away)
    2. Revenge is sweet served cold and they will serve it in spades.
    3. final score: texas 34 oklahma 13

doncal
    doncal's Avatar Become A Pro!

good call, Happy.......Mack Brown loves to kick weak teams when they're down. OU is at best average, and the 'Horns owe them in spades. I'm all over Texas, and even more under two TDs

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

This line should be 8 at the most. As everyone knows, the Sooners have won and covered five years in a row. Now, all they have to do to get the money is not lose by more than two touchdowns? It's hard to believe things have changed that much between these two programs.

Oklahoma is not what they were the past five years, but they are still a top-15 team with the recent solid performance of QB Bomar and the offensive lines' improvement. Also, check the Sooner D holding a good K St. offense to 38 yards in the first half last week. As a result, they built a nice lead and coasted to victory.

If this game is close, OU has no pressure, and Mack Brown and Vince Young will feel extremely pressured. This is important - Texas has had equal or more talent four of the last five years, and not come within a TD of beating OU. They made every effort to blow the Ohio St. game, and would have if the Bucks had not reciprocated. It is absolutely imperative that the Longhorns get off to a good start. If they fall behind early, they will lose. I am on Oklahoma +14 big, and I honestly think they will win the game.

pags11

excellent thoughts here razz...

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

agree with Happy Boy that the revenge factor is huge and I'll add that Peterson has yet to practice this week and is wearing a boot to protect himself from injuries occuring last week... OU's Defense (already young and inexperienced) is also beat up... Texas beat Ohio State at home and has looked impressive all year... OU liooked decent last week, for the first time this year, against a bad KState team.. All I hear is the Boomer Sooner crowd is this the Redriver Shootout and you can't expect/anticapate anything... ya... whatever... I'll take the stats, experience, injuries, and motivation... put me on Texas -13.5...

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i've been eying this game for a while now and, even though OU is way down this year. i feel they do have a legit chance to win this game, mostly due to the part of the mac brown factor.

jjgold

If Pederson does not play I have the line at texas -14.5

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

JJ, they said peterson will play this game.

jjgold

Thanks Danny then I am on Okl

why
    why's Avatar Become A Pro!

from what I have seen of both these teams, Texas should win easily. Back door cover a possibility.

pags11

lvherbie,

Oklahoma's D is far from beat up, in fact, they held Kansas St.'s HB Thomas Clayton (who was first in the NCAA in rushing yards per game going into last week) to 22 yards rushing...

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Revenge is an overrated factor in capping a game. there are certain situations where you apply the revenge factor but this isn't one of them. I mean last year texas had the "revenge factor" and couldn't score and the year before they had the same situation and the year before that and so on.

I like OK +14 and hopefully higher. Line opened up at -11 and it's at -14 now which means you are getting a field goal worth of points and given this is at a neutral site anything can happen. Remember, UT didn't put a point against this team last year. Not saying it's going to happen again but the talent differential is not as big as it seems (the is a function of media hype)...not to mention all the pressure and I mean all the pressure in the world is on Texas. We know what happens in situations like this...teams choke badly.

kalmikrazy
    kalmikrazy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

One thing I forgot to mention.

THE MENTAL EDGE

Stoops pretty much has the mental edge over Mack in the OU-UT game now that the win streak is at 5. I am highly confident that Stoops will bust out alot of new wrinkles cause OU has nothing to lose this year.

AK
    AK's Avatar Become A Pro!

OU- 17
    Texas- 21

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

I dont rate revenge as carrying a ton of weight but there are times when I think one should look at it. This is one of those cases but not a strong one. You want to take revenge when you are playing with much the better team and you are coming off a humiliating loss the year prior. The more humiliating and the greater the talent the more likely you will get a tremendous performance from the revenge minded team.

OU's defense is solid and Stoops owns Texas. Even so, I would look for a score like 37-16, Texas.

AK
    AK's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John
    I dont rate revenge as carrying a ton of weight but there are times when I think one should look at it. This is one of those cases but not a strong one. You want to take revenge when you are playing with much the better team and you are coming off a humiliating loss the year prior. The more humiliating and the greater the talent the more likely you will get a tremendous performance from the revenge minded team.

OU's defense is solid and Stoops owns Texas. Even so, I would look for a score like 37-16, Texas.
    John is no longer SOLID after posting this.

gipnor
    gipnor's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPY BOY
    take it to the bank Texas hates OU and OU is god aweful. Revenge is calling and Texas is answering this is there game. Texas has a history of faltering in big games but facts are facts
    1, fact #1 texas beat Ohio state at home (they finally beat a ranked team away)
    2. Revenge is sweet served cold and they will serve it in spades.
    3. final score: texas 34 oklahma 13
    You forgot one fact:

#4 Mac Brown coaches Texas. Brown is a recruiting MACHINE but he's not much of a gameday coach. Brown will cost Texas a win this year and it could very well be OU... that's why I won't touch this one.

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

Gipnor is 100% correct (AK is 36% correct ). Stoops's defensive game plan has totally shut down Texas. By the 4th quater the Texas defense is worn out.

But I don't like to say people/coaches can't change. Mack should get some credit for being creative on offense this year and for some great defensive schemes. Let's see what happens Saturday. Mack is the coach and let's see if he has improved and brings down the wrath of burnt orange.

pags11

I really think OU's rush defense can slow this game down a little...14 is a lot to cover here for Texas...