bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Oklahoma QB Rhett Bomar

Rhett Bomar had an up-and-down season last year, completing 54.2% of his passes and throwing for as many touchdowns as INTs but throwing for 229 yards and winning MVP honors in the Holiday Bowl. He tells Street & Smiths that he expects to have a better season in 2006, thanks largely to his experience. "This feels totally different than last year," Bomar said. "When you have experience under your belt, that makes it a whole lot different." So will Bomar perform better in his 2nd year as the Sooners starting QB?

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

How can he not perform better with one year under his belt? He pretty much sucked last year and if he performs worse, he won't be starting for too long...

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

the kid performed a lot better the second half of the season and looked very good in the spring game...should have a big year and will take the heat off of AP...future Heisman candidate...

bigboydan

i think this kid will really shine this year.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    i think this kid will really shine this year.
    I thought that until two minutes ago. Looks like he's been kicked off the penetrating team.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

LOL.

I just found out too.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack
    How can he not perform better with one year under his belt? He pretty much sucked last year and if he performs worse, he won't be starting for too long...
    That's how.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

CFB News: Oklahoma dismisses starting QB Bomar

As being reported by ESPN...

Oklahoma starting quarterback Rhett Bomar will not play for the Sooners this season following an investigation by the team, ESPN's Doug Gottlieb and Joe Schad reported Wednesday.

Sophomore J.D. Quinn, who was expected to start at guard, was also dismissed.

Oklahoma said that two players had been dismissed by the team but did not identify them. The school said in a statement that the players violated NCAA rules by working at a private business and taking "payment over an extended period of time in excess of time actually worked."

Bomar apparently filed for 40-hour work weeks at a Norman, Okla., auto dealership, making up to $18,000, when he only worked 5 hours a week, Schad reported.

The car dealership in question is Big Red Sports/Imports in Norman, Okla., reports Mark Schlabach. When contacted by phone, the person answering referred requests to attorney Jeffrey Atkins of Oklahoma City. The dealership is part of the Sooner Schooner Car Program, which supplies vehicles to coaches and athletic department officials.

In April, Oklahoma cleared standout running back Adrian Peterson, who purchased a vehicle from the dealership before securing financing, drove it for several weeks and then returned the car. Oklahoma investigated the situation, but ruled Peterson did not violate rules because the dealership said it was normal business practice.

"We spend a considerable amount of time addressing our players regarding their personal conduct and the NCAA rules," head coach Bob Stoops said in a statement. "They know exactly what we expect from them. Ultimately, they have to make right decisions. The same holds true for our boosters. When they do not, the consequences are serious, and we will not tolerate this behavior.

"Our team and university actions are necessary because of the intentional participation and knowledge of the student athletes in these violations," Stoops said.

A top-rated recruit out of high school, Bomar redshirted his first season while 2004 Heisman Trophy winner Jason White completed his career. Bomar lost a quarterback competition to Paul Thompson last fall, but was named the starter after the Sooners lost to TCU in the first week.

Bomar set an Oklahoma freshman record with 2,018 passing yards. He started Oklahoma's final 11 games and completed 54 percent of his passes, while throwing 10 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Oklahoma finished 2005 by winning six of its final seven games, including a victory against Oregon in the Holiday Bowl.

Quinn, who was Bomar's roommate, started four times at right guard last season but missed spring practice with an injury.

"I firmly believe that our program is stronger than any individual player and that a championship program cannot compromise its values," Stoops said in the statement.

Thompson, the only quarterback other than Bomar with experience at Oklahoma, was moved to receiver after Bomar became the starter. A backup in 2002 and 2003, Thompson played in a reserve role until he beat out Bomar last fall.

In his career, Thompson has completed 42 of 73 passes for 428 yards. He caught 11 passes for 106 yards after moving to receiver last season.

Other options would be Joey Halzle, a junior transfer who passed for 2,077 yards and 13 touchdowns in 10 games last season at Golden West (Calif.) Community College, freshman Sam Bradford and walk-on Hays McEachern.

Curse Fire
    SBR COWBOYS!!!
    Curse Fire's Avatar Become A Pro!

Damn I was hoping he would be playign this year
    cause UT defense would have a big day against
    Bomar. OU need to stop letting there coaches
    take any cars from that dealer cause there been
    nothing but trouble for the Sooners. If Bomar
    was realy any good then OU would think of a
    way to not cut his sorry ass but since he stinks
    they can look like there followin g all the rules
    now.

kalmikrazy
    kalmikrazy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

Quote Originally Posted by Curse Fire
    now.
    Curse you should make facts rather than speak on emotion. Im sure you are a UT fan so its normal for you to pull for UT. You acting like he was a dud like Chris Simms. Now if you were smart you would say that this situation clearly makes UT the favorite in the BIG 12. He woulda been alot better than McCoy and/or Snead, not that im pissed he is kicked off. UT was recruiting him as hard as OU was. He got what he deserved. Now that OU's dream season are dashed unless Halzle, Thompson, or Bradford can make like Superman and save the team (doubt that is possible, since OU is now one dimensional and ALL the defenses will make everyone other than AD beat them).

Alot of people in OK were always scared that this guy would cross the line. Past NBA season he was cited for drinking at a Hornets game and got another citation for being crunk at a party in Norman.

Starting to become like the good old 80's under Switzer....lol.....though Stoops is very strict unlike The King. Props to Stoops for taking the team over one player NO matter how great he was poised to become. And now I believe that since it was an NCAA violation, he cant transfer to any NCAA level. NAIA I guess.

As far as the car dealership goes, the former GM Brad McRae is a total ass. He is a hardcore OU backer and alum, so he used his power as GM to make friends with OU stars. In hopes of getting what? A penetrating blowjob? penetrating lame ass loser!!!

SUCKS TO BE A SOONER!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by kalmikrazy; 08-02-06 at 05:11 PM.

Razz

now.
    Haha, if I started for Oklahoma in that game, Texas would have little to no chance at winning.

bigboydan

is it too late for me to change my national championship pick

jesterson
    jesterson's Avatar Become A Pro!

is it too late for me to change my national championship pick
    Maybe, but it's not too late to take the win total under 9.5 at +120...

Razz

I still see Oklahoma winning 11 games this year, with the lone loss coming at Autzen Stadium. They still sport the best defense in the country by a mile, and the new OC Wilson should be able to have more success with Thompson (assuming they move him back to QB) than Chuck Long did. If the Sooners find anyone who can give them any kind of passing game, they still have a back who can get them 2,000 yards.
    Don't count them out just yet.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

No national title but they'll still have 10 wins.

bigboydan

they definately have the talent to get those 10 wins guys. the question still remains...just how many games is Rhett Bomar worth on the season O/U total. i'm not sold they do win those 10 games now with there QB situation being up in the air right now.

pags11

Bomar is a real idiot...

bigboydan

i'm sure bomar is not the only player out there doing this sorta thing pags.

kalmikrazy

I just read now that the players were clocked in during practice which is real bone headed.

Razz

they definately have the talent to get those 10 wins guys. the question still remains...just how many games is Rhett Bomar worth on the season O/U total. i'm not sold they do win those 10 games now with there QB situation being up in the air right now.
    The good news is that most of their road games are late in the season, so they should have some time to prepare. Plus, Wilson is among the handful of offensive coordinators that I would consider brilliant. I think he'll be able to implement a more than satisfactory offense for Halzle or Thompson.

bigboydan

it might not have been such a day situation if that kid didn't transfer from OU to Utah last year.

kalmikrazy

Yeah but Grady is 3rd string at Utah right now.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by kalmikrazy
    Yeah but Grady is 3rd string at Utah right now.
    and still riding the bench too i might add.

Razz

and still riding the bench too i might add.
    As opposed to other 3rd string quarterbacks?

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4315

Ok, you confused me Dan. Dont all 3rd strings ride the bench? :confused:

bigboydan

whos to say he would be riding the bench right now if he didn't transfer.

pags11

dan, working five hours and collecting $18,000?...I hope that there aren't any other guys out there doing that...that's just ridiculous...

kalmikrazy

18k was the wrong number......OU just said it was between 2500-6k of extra money......not that the amount should matter.....stupidity is stupidity........we should be ok with thompson who is now the starter......just not sure about the national title.....let me see how he handles Oregon.

Curse Fire
    SBR COWBOYS!!!
    Curse Fire's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    Haha, if I started for Oklahoma in that game, Texas would have little to no chance at winning.
    Ill take that bet any day of the weak razz.
    How many points you going to give me since
    you seem so confidant about this one?

bigboydan

if that car dealership didn't change hands we probly would have never known about this wrong doing at all.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4315

Looks like Rhett Bomar may go to a Division II school. If the NCAA lets him play again.

Texas D-II school seeks permission to talk to Bomar

By Mark Schlabach
    ESPN.com

Texas A&M-Commerce coach Scotty Conley isn't sure when, or if, former Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar will be allowed to play college football again. But Conley said Bomar has a home with the Division II Lions if he is reinstated by the NCAA.

Conley said he sent a request to Oklahoma officials on Thursday asking that Bomar be released from his scholarship with the Sooners. Under NCAA rules, Conley isn't allowed to have contact with Bomar until he is released by Oklahoma.

Conley said he has known Bomar's father, Jerry Bomar, a longtime high school football coach in Texas, for several years because Conley recruited many of Bomar's players.

"We've sent a release request to Oklahoma to ask permission to talk to him," Conley said during a telephone interview Friday. "We don't know what Rhett is going to do. We're in the dark as much as anyone."

Bomar, who was one of the country's most highly-recruited quarterbacks coming out of Grand Prairie (Texas) High and started 11 games for the Sooners last season, was dismissed from the team by coach Bob Stoops on Wednesday. The school said Bomar and sophomore offensive lineman J.D. Quinn knowingly broke NCAA rules by accepting wages from a car dealership in Norman, Okla., for work they didn't do.

Bomar and his father haven't returned messages to their cell phones.

"All we know right now is what we've seen in the paper, since we haven't been able to talk to him," Conley said. "We saw the interview he did on TV and what's been said in the paper. From what we know right now, he looks like a kid who just made a mistake."

Conley is entering his third season at Texas A&M-Commerce, a school of about 8,500 students located in Commerce, Texas, about 65 miles northeast of Dallas. The Lions were 5-5 and finished second in the North Division of the Lone Star Conference last season. They last played in the Division II playoffs in 1995.

NCAA spokesman Eric Christianson said since Bomar has been declared ineligible by the Sooners, if he transfers to play football at another NCAA institution, regardless of classification, Oklahoma or his new school would have to apply for him to be reinstated. That would probably involve repaying the $18,000 he was paid by Big Red Sports/Imports and might include a suspension from games. The NCAA could also declare him permanently ineligible.

Bomar's other options are transferring to an NAIA school -- they are not governed by NCAA rules -- or to a junior college, where he would have one season of eligibility. Since Bomar redshirted at Oklahoma in 2004, he would be eligible to enter next spring's NFL draft because he is three years removed from high school.

kalmikrazy

if that car dealership didn't change hands we probly would have never known about this wrong doing at all.

TRU DAT.....It was just on the radio here in okc.....when a car dealer takes over, since so much money is changing hands, they have to do an audit to make sure the previous owner was running things properly so the new guys dont get faulted for anything. And Big Red had a shady rep from previous transgressions. I would rather have 1-2 guys get busted and removed instead of the ncaa finding out and for OU be be locked up like they were in the 80's and 90's.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thompson moves back to QB, will start, Stoops says

Well, ateast the kid has some experience.

NORMAN, Okla. -- Paul Thompson will move back from wide receiver to take over as Oklahoma's starting quarterback, a role vacated when Rhett Bomar was dismissed for violating NCAA rules.

A backup the previous three seasons, Thompson had won the starting job outright last fall but was supplanted by Bomar after the Sooners lost to TCU in Thompson's first career start.

"We feel there's no question that the amount of experience that Paul has for us is really good experience," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said Thursday. "He's been on the field for us. He's competed. He's been taking quarterback snaps for four years. We're expecting Paul to do well."

In his career, Thompson has completed 42 of 73 passes for 428 yards. He caught 11 passes for 106 yards after moving to receiver last season.

"Realize for the last four years he has been our backup quarterback all four years," Stoops said. "The only time he has not been a quarterback has been 15 practices here in the last spring. Last year, if there was anything that happened, we were going with Paul."

Thompson, who'd waited for his turn as Nate Hybl and Heisman winner Jason White wrapped up their careers at Oklahoma, appeared to get his chance last fall. After a competition with Bomar that had lasted throughout spring and fall practice, Thompson was named the starter heading into the season opener.

Coaches changed their minds after Thompson fumbled twice and threw one interception in the upset loss to TCU. Bomar, who came in to replace Thompson, also fumbled to set up a TCU touchdown.

"At the time, all things considered, Paul had had more snaps than Rhett and their competition was pretty close. It was darn close, in our minds," Stoops said. "That being the case, we felt Rhett had had far less snaps, that given the opportunity to have more, that he would progress further and have longer to play."

After Bomar's dismissal on Wednesday, coaches were left to decide whether to move Thompson again or go with one of three quarterbacks who'd never taken a game snap at Oklahoma: junior-college transfer Joey Halzle, freshman Sam Bradford and walk-on Hays McEachern.

"This isn't anything against the young guys. They don't have the experience in our program and in our offense that Paul does," Stoops said.

"Joey is a young guy that's come along from a junior college that still has three years to play that we really like. Joey just needs to be brought along more. He needs more experience. And Sam Bradford's only been here in the summer."

Stoops met with Thompson on Tuesday and asked him to think about the decision and discuss it with his parents. Thompson returned Wednesday to accept the job. His hopes to play in the NFL were among his considerations.

"That was part of it. I want to be able to showcase my talent, but the total focus is on this team right now and winning some games," Thompson said.

"There's no better position to show your athletic ability than the quarterback. You've got the ball every play and you're able to make a lot of plays."

Stoops complimented Thompson for being willing to face the scrutiny that comes with the position.

"That takes a lot of courage and a lot of guts because of, again, the magnitude of it all," Stoops said. "That's the kind of guy he is. He's as special a young guy that we have coached here."

Thompson said he would throw passes to warm up prior to summer drills, but he hadn't thrown a passing route between the Holiday Bowl and the start of Oklahoma's fall practice on Thursday afternoon.

"My dad told me, he kept telling me, 'You better get out and throw something. Throw at a tree. Throw at a house,'' Thompson said.

Thompson said he felt his first practice went well, especially considering the quick change. His throws were crisp and on target, and Stoops even urged fans to cheer when the new quarterback completed passes. The most noticeable problem was a couple of botched exchanges with the center.

"It's just hard to switch like that. I've switched a couple times," Thompson said. "Just switching all around and just trying to stay focused with a positive attitude, that's the hardest thing."

Stoops said he still expected his team to be able to contend for the Big 12 championship. Adrian Peterson, the Heisman Trophy runner-up two seasons ago, shared that sentiment.

"He's got talent. If he didn't, he wouldn't be at the University of Oklahoma," Peterson said. "It's up to him to step up to the plate and get it done, and I feel like he will."

Stoops said he expected the Sooners to make adjustments so the offense is better suited to Thompson's abilities. He said he thought coaches didn't adapt to Thompson much last season and instead kept the offense used with 2000 Heisman Trophy runner-up Josh Heupel, Hybl and White.

"I think it's fair to say that we can do more as a coaching staff to play into what fits him and what he likes more," Stoops said. "And some of it will be the same. But we can also implement some factors in our offense that can blend to his athletic ability as well."

New offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson, the team's former offensive line coach, said he had planned to take a week to 10 days to determine the team's strengths even if Bomar was still on the team. Now, he'll make his evaluations with Thompson under center.

Razz

Ill take that bet any day of the weak razz.
    How many points you going to give me since
    you seem so confidant about this one?
    Well, I was overeggaterating, but I really do feel Oklahoma wil still beat Texas relatively easy. I'm not trying to diss Texas or anything - I think they will be good by the end of the season, but I just don't see them beating the Sooners. OU has a better coaching staff, better rush defense, better pass defense, and better rush offense. The only advantage Texas may have is the ability to rattle Thompson/Halzle, but reports aren't great about the Texas QB situation either.

kalmikrazy

With Bomar, OU was a slight favor. Now w/o him I see neither team being favored by more than 3 (some people see it even as a Push).

12 Last