bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Oregon QB Dennis Dixon

Dennis Dixon, a 6-4, 196 pound junior, has the unenviable task of taking over for Kellen Clemens as quarterback of the Oregon Ducks this season. But Dixon should be up to the task. In 11 games last season, he completed on roughly 2/3 of his 104 pass attempts for 777 yards, 6 touchdowns, 3 interceptions and a passer rating of 142.37. Not shabby. Think he can manage numbers like that as the full-time QB in 2006?

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

great athlete, doesn't throw that well though...

bigboydan

in mike blotti's system all they do is throw, so as long as he doesn't throw a ton of INT's he should be ok in regards to stats. the question remains though... how will he do ATS wise for us bettors.

pags11

dan, it's actually Gary Crowton's offense as of last year, and they run the spread option, much like West Virginia that focuses very much on the run, especially runs by the QB...which is why I believe Belotti is starting Dixon over Leaf at this point...

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

Blue Ribbon Yearbook.

First off, and this is important, there's no quarterback controversy. It doesn't exist. Sure, there were numerous stories written about the spring battle between juniors Dennis Dixon (6-4, 196) and Brady Leaf (6-5, 231), but the thing is, it didn't exist then and it most certainly won't be an issue come August. At least not to those who matter.

"The situation is the same -- Dennis is our quarterback," offensive coordinator and former BYU head coach Gary Crowton said. "They both are capable, but Brady's our backup."

Last season, after Kellen Clemens went down with an ankle injury in late October, Dixon started four games, with Leaf virtually splitting time, as evidenced by the numbers. Dixon completed 66.3 percent of his 104 throws for 777 yards, six touchdowns and just three interceptions. As for Leaf, he completed 58.5 percent of his 82 attempts for three touchdowns and three picks. And yes, in case anyone doesn't already know, Leaf is indeed the younger brother of former Washington State quarterback Ryan Leaf, the No. 2 overall pick of the 1998 NFL draft.

This season, Crowton says the sharing of possessions is likely no more.

"We might try getting Brady a drive a game, but there won't be a rotation of any kind," Crowton said. "When there's a need for Brady to come in, he will, but Dennis is our starter going into the season. Dennis is athletic, accurate, runs well [4.55 speed], and that's the direction we're heading right now."

Dixon is among the top dual-threat quarterbacks in the conference, having rushed for 143 yards and a touchdown last season. He also avoids pressure well, almost instinctively, and unlike many scramblers, Dixon doesn't take many sacks. And the ones he does are usually minimal in terms of yards lost.

As for Leaf, he's the prototypical pocket passer, much like a Drew Bledsoe. If he gets that split extra second, few throw the ball with more precision. The protection shouldn't be an issue, either, with five returning starting linemen from a unit that allowed just 20 sacks in 2005. That said, the decision to go with Dixon doesn't seem based on mobility.

bigboydan

Oregon QB Controversy?

It seems as though dennis Dixon will be the #1 starter while brady leaf will be his back-up. however, according to the oregon mail tribune, head coach mike bellotti, leaf will get playing time too. i guess if dixon starts off the year badly he's will be replace fast.

regon's QBs are Controversy Free

Oregon coach Mike Bellotti has seemingly gone out of his way proclaiming the Ducks don't have a quarterback controversy.

Bellotti insists there is no plan to alternate or rotate the position shared last year by Dennis Dixon and Brady Leaf.

It was Dixon who received all the starting nods when standout Kellen Clemens suffered a season-ending injury last year, and the junior has done nothing to alter Bellotti's mind-set that Dixon will remain his starter.

"At this point, he's a better passer, a better runner and decision maker," says the 12th-year coach.

Done deal, right? Wrong.

Moments after Bellotti allows that directive to sink in, he quietly slips in a "however" that all but assures Leaf will be seeing game action as well.

"Depending on how well our starter plays and our need, that could change," Bellotti adds. "I'm very comfortable either way."

The situation has all the makings for a dividing factor among the Ducks, save one problem: the relationship between Dixon and Leaf.

"Me and Brady have an excellent chemistry," says Dixon. "Nothing's gonna ever get between me and him. It's all on coach's call. Whoever gets to go out there, they better produce and make the team better, and whoever's sitting out needs to look at it as if you were in the game."

Leaf echoes that sentiment.

"A lot of people put too much personal stuff into football," says the 6-foot-5, 231-pounder. "There's no point in letting a feud for a starting position ruin a friendship that we could have 30 or 40 years after this."

"Me and Dennis get along fine," adds Leaf. "We go bowling together and hang out together. Him playing the third quarter and me playing the fourth quarter or him playing the whole first three quarters and I get in in the end of the game, it's not going to change what we think about each other. We respect each other on the field and off the field."

And when you think about it, it's the ultimate type of respect.

The kind where you challenge someone right to their face, then accept whatever result comes without animosity.

It hearkens back to the days in the driveway where fresh-faced kids battled it out one-on-one in basketball, then would go inside for some lemonade and come back later for another friendly battle.

"I'll tell Dennis straight to his face, 'Dennis, you can sit on the bench for all four quarters for all I care,' and he's going to say the same thing to me," says Leaf. "But when he throws a touchdown, I'll be the first guy to give him a high-five and vice versa. If I throw a touchdown, he's right there by my side."

A strong case could be made for either quarterback to be the starter.

Dixon finished the season completing 69 of 104 passes for 777 yards, six touchdowns and three interceptions. Providing a valuable dual threat in the Ducks' new spread offense, he also rushed for 143 yards and a TD on 49 carries.

Leaf came off the bench in each of the final four games started by Dixon and was in the game during the deciding moments of two of the final four contests as well as the Arizona game, when Clemens was knocked out of action. Leaf finished with 467 yards on 48-for-82 passing, with three TDs and three interceptions.

In relief of Clemens, including the Arizona contest, the then-sophomores combined to lead Oregon to a 4-1 record — the lone defeat coming in a 17-14 loss to Oklahoma at the Holiday Bowl.

But while some programs might have seen one of their quarterbacks transfer to assure playing time, that wasn't the case with the Ducks.

"Some guys would say that's not a very good situation to be in," says Leaf. "You've got two guys the same age, both competing, both performing well. But to be honest, it's almost made me a better quarterback because I've had to push myself that much harder day in and day out knowing there's a guy not on my coattails but right next to me, maybe even a little ahead of me."

Making the situation that much more confusing is how vastly different each quarterback plays the position.

Leaf is the prototypical pocket passer; he's got the size and arm strength to wing the ball all over the field.

Dixon's more agile at 6-4 and a "bulked up" 200 pounds, but balks at any notion that he's primarily a running quarterback. His 66.3 percent accuracy last year bettered Clemens' single-season school record of 64 percent.

"Last year, everyone had a question as to how good I passed," says Dixon. "By far I think I proved to the world that I am capable of passing as well as running, too. Now having that threat is a horrible thing for the defense to look at."

Which is precisely why Dixon has the upper hand at this point. The more options and territory a defense has to cover, the more effective Oregon's new attack can be under offensive coordinator Gary Crowton.

"We're coming up with new ways to do things," says Dixon. "Last year we just threw it in there and tested it out and, for the most part, it worked in our favor. Coming into this year all we have to do is define it and touch it up."

To sharpen his edge, Dixon sat down with Bellotti in the offseason to learn what he needed to work on heading into this season.

"He told me to become a better leader, more like Kellen," says the laid-back signal-caller. "That's going to be hard to fill Kellen's shoes because he was an excellent quarterback."

"The other thing was accuracy," Dixon adds. "That's something every quarterback has to constantly work at."

And while it would seem the areas Leaf must improve on are speed and agility, concentrating solely on them wouldn't do much good.

"I'm not going to lie, I worked on my 40 time a little," says Leaf, "but I'm not going to catch Dennis in my lifetime, I know that for sure. I may be able to beat him up though I'm a little bigger than him."

To prepare for fall camp, Leaf summoned receivers Dante Rosario, Garren Strong and Jaison Williams to the Moshofsky Center on Sundays for a little pass and catch. He would throw about 100 balls, with each receiver running two or three routes about a dozen times to get that necessary repetition for getting his timing down.

Bellotti says both will see action with the first- and second-team offense in camp, and he likely won't name an official starter until the season opener.

Until then, Leaf and Dixon promise to bring the best out of each other through competition.

"It's going to be a battle," says Dixon. "I'm going to fall camp as the starter but then again I can't settle down. I can't be conservative."

"I don't know how much I'm going to play, Dennis doesn't know how much he's going to play," adds Leaf. "I'm sure we're both going to play again. Dennis will probably start as coach Bellotti said, but I'm going to try to change that through fall camp."

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

After Clemens' injury they would rotate a lot, Dixon was usaually used down the stretch, but there is definitely a controversy

bigboydan

I'm curious how Dixon will do against Oklahoma. Right there could start the controversy right out of the gate.

pags11

Dixon's the guy IMO until Leaf shows me a little more...