NG6
    NG6's Avatar Become A Pro!

south carolina -1

i like a handful of the numbers on offer with the bowl games at the moment but i think this is my favourite. wondering if others consider this a multiple unit play or not.

bartman
    bartman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 168

As a SC Alum and fan, be careful.....we are 0-3 in bowl games, but part of that is we dont have Garcia who probably partied pretty heavily during the pre-bowl break. The other side of that coin though is that Nebraska is pretty good against the run and so Shaw will have to pass...... something he only did well for the first time in the Clemson game. I would be cautious. My favorite right now is BYU minus 2.5 against Tulsa. Look at their respective wins/losses and it looks like BYU should roll.

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30318

Spurrier teams generally are bad in bowl games outside of the National Championship.

mlb
    mlb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12779

Kind of like Nebraska here ... tried to hate them all year but they are not a bad team ... I think sc overachieved a little bit and I'm thinking Nebraska controls the clock and tempo and makes sc go to the air more then they want to

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO

The thing for South Carolina is, if they can contain Martinez and make him throw, then they will win. They have a good enough defense that they can do that, if they are motivated to win.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

what is the over/under on this game?

I would expect a low scoring game

skers11
    skers11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 596

NU will win this easily. Public will hammer USC because they are an SEC team, but they didnt play LSU or bama. If Lattimore was playing they might have a chance.

Last time we played spurrier we won 62-24 and this dude made the best college run of all time. Still can't believe they gave Wuerffel the heisman?

skers11

skers11

Quote Originally Posted by letsgo View Post
    Spurrier teams generally are bad in bowl games outside of the National Championship.
    yeah Nebraska beat them 62-24 in the national championship in the 90s?

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by skers11 View Post
    yeah Nebraska beat them 62-24 in the national championship in the 90s?
    They killed Florida State the next year. Spurrier has lost his last 3 bowl games, I don't think he does a great job getting his team motivated for lesser games.

bartman

Dude, what kind of weed you smokin out there........ so something that "happened in the 90's" is relevant today........... great analysis.....TARD!

skers11

Quote Originally Posted by bartman View Post
    Dude, what kind of weed you smokin out there........ so something that "happened in the 90's" is relevant today........... great analysis.....TARD!
    He said spurrier gets up for National Championships, he's played in 2, and one of those was the biggest blowout in a natl championship ever. Sooooo?????

bartman

Agreed, apologies for language.......

skers11

You think the pelini bro's are gonna lose the last game they coach together?

Connor Shaw has done a wonderful job replacing garcia, running for almost 300 yards his last 3 games, and Nebraska does struggle against scrambling qbs, but I think the pelini's will have a good gameplan for this 1 dimensional offense. Plus Lattimore is not playing. Nebraska has the better skill position players. I would take Burkhead and Martinez over Shaw and Wilds any day.

75% betting USC -1. Every one liking the SEC team over the B1G team, but USC didnt play LSU or Alabama. They got killed to the 3rd best SEC team Arkansas, who is extremely overrated.

skers11

trainwreck mixed with sour diesel

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

You fail to mention South Carolina's nasty defense......I think SC rolls here, they are on a winning streak and are looking to keep the momentum going

Nebraska is not a bad team, but South Carolina is just better IMO

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by mlb View Post
    Kind of like Nebraska here ... tried to hate them all year but they are not a bad team ... I think sc overachieved a little bit and I'm thinking Nebraska controls the clock and tempo and makes sc go to the air more then they want to
    How did SC overacheive this season?? They opened the season ranked #12 and finished at #9.....Everyone with a brain knew what kind of talent they had, especially on defense

Spurrier really showed everyone he's still a great coach.....Lost Garcia and Lattimore halfway through the year and just got better

survive
    and advance
    survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8560

Quote Originally Posted by letsgo View Post
    lets not forget Nebraska getting embarrassed last year in the Holiday Bowl...

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10428

usc will shit the bed and you can bet on it

bartman

USC D is good but not great......... how many good offenses did they face this year? GA scored 40 something points, should have won, ECU shredded the secondary, ARK was the best offenes they faced and looked what happened to their "D" there. So all those great Defensive "numbers" were put up against pretty weak offenses. Granted, the whole team did indeed show up against Clemson........

The Clemson game BTW is really the FIRST game that Conner Shaw threw well (other than Citidal) Does anyone know if NB has a good secondary?

skers11

The Clemson game BTW is really the FIRST game that Conner Shaw threw well (other than Citidal) Does anyone know if NB has a good secondary?
    The secondary is young, but Dennard a shutdown corner and gonna be a high draft pick. Lavonte David is excellent in coverage as well, he's always at the ball, also another high draft pick at LB.

skers11

Quote Originally Posted by survive View Post
    lets not forget Nebraska getting embarrassed last year in the Holiday Bowl...
    Everybody know's NU could care less about that game. I wouldn't be suprised to learn they didn't even practice before the Holiday bowl last year, cuz they surely didn't show up to play.

Plus it's very very hard to beat the same team twice the same season in college football. I think this might be a factor in the Nat'l Championship game this year as well

Hotlanta Steam
    3 days till my Christmas
    Hotlanta Steam's Avatar Become A Pro!

This game will come down to 3 things...

1. Will Spurrier let Shaw run the ball... Nebraska struggles a lot against a mobile QB (Denard Robinson, Cain Coulter, Russell Wilson all at their lunch, Nebraskas only losses)

2. Will SC shut down Nebraska's option run game... both Navy and the Citadel ran for 250+ on SC...Nebraska while maybe not as smooth in the option game runs it with miles better athletic talent... Martinez and Burkhead will make big chunks if SC is not disciplined and strong with the front 7

3. Is South Carolina good and inconsistent or above average and fortunate with their schedule... They should have lost to UGA as they were significantly outgained (despite Lattimore's best efforts) but made up for it with 3 defensive/special teams scores. SC also only looked good in the Clemson game.. they were fortunate that Clemson superstar frosh WR was only about 50% for the game... When they took on Arkansas they were throttled and they lost at home to a very bad Auburn team and played close games against Tenn and Florida who both were well below their norm from season's past... In fact outside of the UGA fluke and the quality win over Clemson, you would have to say that their best win was against Vanderbilt, who in my eyes was actually the third best team in the SEC East.
    The game should be entertaining and I expect a close one.
    Last edited by Hotlanta Steam; 12-08-11 at 10:34 AM.

skers11

Quote Originally Posted by Hotlanta Steam View Post

1. Will Spurrier let Shaw run the ball... Nebraska struggles a lot against a mobile QB (Denard Robinson, Cain Coulter, Russell Wilson all at their lunch, Nebraskas only losses)
    You are definitely correct here. That is the biggest flaw in our defense. Just wanted to add something I noticed as I watched this team play all year.

Pelini's defenses are very aggressive, and tend to over pursue and go all out on the blitz. In the Northwestern and Wisky game especially, Nebraska would have everything shut down in coverage, but the blitzers would come to hard and the qb would make an athletic play, break the tackle and scramble down the field. I guess the point I'm trying to make is mobile qbs hurt Nebraska more on designed passing plays then on rushing plays. Shaw is going to have to pass the ball successfully to open up his run game. I think plays designed for him to run, will be alot less effective.

I agree with you tho. Should be a good game.
    Last edited by skers11; 12-08-11 at 11:13 AM. Reason: misspell

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

2. Will SC shut down Nebraska's option run game... both Navy and the Citadel ran for 250+ on SC...Nebraska while maybe not as smooth in the option game runs it with miles better athletic talent... Martinez and Burkhead will make big chunks if SC is not disciplined and strong with the front 7

3. Is South Carolina good and inconsistent or above average and fortunate with their schedule... They should have lost to UGA as they were significantly outgained (despite Lattimore's best efforts) but made up for it with 3 defensive/special teams scores. SC also only looked good in the Clemson game.. they were fortunate that Clemson superstar frosh WR was only about 50% for the game... When they took on Arkansas they were throttled and they lost at home to a very bad Auburn team and played close games against Tenn and Florida who both were well below their norm from season's past... In fact outside of the UGA fluke and the quality win over Clemson, you would have to say that their best win was against Vanderbilt, who in my eyes was actually the third best team in the SEC East.
    UGA game was not a fluke.....they forced big plays on defense because they have playmakers......the game was back and forth anyway.....

This is a 10-2 team here, you act like they're 6-6

Boxer300
    Boxer300's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 221

You obviously haven't watched SC play this year. A lot of misinformed posts in this thread

bartman

Ive watched every game and believe me, Coach Spurrier and myself as a Gamecock Alumni, fan, etc are REALLY happy because we are 10-2.......... We could have easily lost to fairly good teams like GA but look at all the AWFUL teams that we barely beat? So we could have been 8-4, or 7-5........... Im staying away from this game because my heart is with the Gamecocks............... Shaw is indeed a "mobile QB" and a student of the game.......... believe me, he is studying NB with coaches big time (his dad is a HS coach)............Go cocks, but thiws bettor is staying on the side lines

Boxer300
    Boxer300's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 221

bartman I will agree with you on one thing, I will not be betting this game. I think there are much better bowl match ups to put money on. Plenty of teams win ugly and I think Spurrier has done his best coaching job since he has been at SC this year. Also I think SC will be much better in their bowl this year since they got rid of that screw up Garcia.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer300 View Post
    bartman I will agree with you on one thing, I will not be betting this game. I think there are much better bowl match ups to put money on. Plenty of teams win ugly and I think Spurrier has done his best coaching job since he has been at SC this year. Also I think SC will be much better in their bowl this year since they got rid of that screw up Garcia.

SC riding high on momentum right now.....in past years they haven't been on such good winning streaks going into the bowl games

It's always a great year when South Carolina beats Georgia, Clemson, Tennessee, and Florida in the same year no matter who's down or whatever.....Who gives a shit who's considered down anyway, SC is now the team to beat for the future in the SEC EAST (With UGA)

The DiB
    The DiB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 125

USC D is good but not great......... how many good offenses did they face this year? GA scored 40 something points, should have won, ECU shredded the secondary, ARK was the best offenes they faced and looked what happened to their "D" there. So all those great Defensive "numbers" were put up against pretty weak offenses. Granted, the whole team did indeed show up against Clemson........

Just wanted to address the bolded part.

Yes UGA, ECU, and Arkansas shredded the defense. No denying that. But all three of those teams have something in common... A good passing attack. This is South Carolina's weakness. Taylor Martinez won't be able to take advantage of this weakness. Should be an interesting match-up as Nebraska's offensive strength plays right into South Carolina's strength on defense.

On the other side, it seems like Nebraska has a tough time stopping scrambling quarterbacks. Shaw will run a lot this game. Nebraska is going to have to improve in that area if they are going to win.

Nebraska has an advantage in the return game. They have been very good (#6 in the country in KO returns), while South Carolina's special team coverage is pretty bad (60th in punt defense, 73rd in KO).

Not sure who is going to win, but it should be one of the better bowl games this year.

The DiB
    The DiB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 125

Also, Marcus Lattimore's injury 2 months ago has no impact on this game. South Carolina has moved on without him. Connor Shaw and Brandon Wilds have picked up the slack in the run game.

Hotlanta Steam
    3 days till my Christmas
    Hotlanta Steam's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer300 View Post
    You obviously haven't watched SC play this year. A lot of misinformed posts in this thread
    I think it is funny that you say that yet you never refuted anything? Even a SC alum agreed that they had a season that could have gone either way... also notice that all my points were about SC and not Nebraska... meaning that I think SC is the clear favorite and the game depends on them not Nebraska... Nebraska will run for some decent yards, catch a play action long play once or twice and make tons of mistakes on the blitz... outside of that.. this totally is about South Carolina who will dictate this game because they have more overall talent...

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

This is one of these games that will be decided by errors. Fumbles, Int's, and most importantly, which Nebraska and South Carolina Teams show up. Both of these teams have the ability to give a game away. It will be fun watching Pelini and Spurrier going off on the sidelines. That will probably be the best part of this game. This game is on at the same time Michigan State-Georgia and Ohio State-Florida is being played. Will anyone bother watching this game? I will not. I will be watching Michigan State vs Georgia. This game finishes 3rd out of the three games in Florida being played at the same time, as far as ratings go.

skers11

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    This is one of these games that will be decided by errors. Fumbles, Int's, and most importantly, which Nebraska and South Carolina Teams show up. Both of these teams have the ability to give a game away. It will be fun watching Pelini and Spurrier going off on the sidelines. That will probably be the best part of this game. This game is on at the same time Michigan State-Georgia and Ohio State-Florida is being played. Will anyone bother watching this game? I will not. I will be watching Michigan State vs Georgia. This game finishes 3rd out of the three games in Florida being played at the same time, as far as ratings go.
    Who gives a **** what football game you are going to watch? This is a handicapping forum, who you got???

Care to make a wager on whether this game finishes 3rd in ratings?
    Last edited by skers11; 12-12-11 at 12:28 PM. Reason: had to change a letter

12 Last