LINE-crush-ER
    LINE-crush-ER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 157

You will never get your play off

I see so many blogs about "I would like to see a playoff ", some even go on to say 16 team play off , I am assuming they mean on television , You know why bama and sec fans come out of the woodwork to voice their opinions , because it actually matters to them , They are busy making plans , waiting to go to what ever the GAME may be .
    So if your a tv fan of one of the teams that have to pay seat fillers , your opinion doesnt really matter
    It will always be about the teams that sell more tickets , why do you think VA TECH got in this year , BCS wants their vote again and will get it ,
    Once the Large Teams get pissed off , then and only then will you ever see something different . than a system like the BCS selection process .
    Had Alabama Won to LSU and Lost to Vanderbilt and went on to win the SEC championship - Alabama fans are smart enough to know how devastating of a loss that was and wouldn't feel shimed in the least as a 1 loss team out of the title game .
    don't forget the SEC started the division playoff -

LINE-crush-ER
    LINE-crush-ER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 157

I could be wrong here , The team that Beat Alabama went on to the NC title Game and the team that beat OSU went on to play Rutgers in the Palm Olive Bowl
    and the Smaller schools begging for a playoff with difficulty traveling would only make their chances greater for being left out - 2 to 3 extra games would be a minimum of $10,000 a fan - I for one , it would have me begging not to have a repeat Great year

BiffTFinancial
    BiffTFinancial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5368

my message to people who want a 16-team playoff: just watch the NFL. if you want a meaningless regular season full of forgettable games (so forgettable that fantasy football is now the NFL's life's blood) followed by a month of excitement, just be patient - Sunday is never more than a few days away. i could understand an optional plus-one system (utilized in some seasons, like this one; not utilized in most, like last year or the Texas-Bama final), but anything beyond that simply dilutes the product and allows in teams that have no business playing for a national title.

my favorite stupid argument in favor of a playoff: "let's give someone else a chance." as if the national title game is some sort of dumbass lifetime achievement award.

in closing, fk Boise and their whiny coach. wanna play in a BCS game every season, Chris? go coach at a real school. actually, just recruiting a kicker would be a start.

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30330

Just do a plus one game, takes nothing away from Regular Season but still gives top 4 teams chance at title.

BiffTFinancial

Quote Originally Posted by letsgo View Post
    Just do a plus one game, takes nothing away from Regular Season but still gives top 4 teams chance at title.
    right, doesn't even affect the bowl structure. play #1/#4 and #2/#3 on New Years Day, then NCG 10 days later. biggest concerns are: (1) what about seasons like last year or 2009 when two teams clearly were better than the rest (such that allowing 2 more teams in serves little purpose, and then there's exhausting debate over who is #4 rather than who is #2), and (2) travel (will fans travel to two neutral site games in 10 days - may seriously impact the first round; NCAA does not want empty seats in its biggest games, but there's also an obvious downside to having the plus-one round played at teams' home fields). that said, most of the reasons that i hate the idea of a larger playoff would not apply to a plus-one.

all that said, there is little sentiment at the top of the NCAA for even a plus-one, as they view it as a slippery slope to an 8-team/16-team playoff, which would be an abomination (mostly because of the travel reasons or inequity of HFA in a playoff).

saratoga1927
    saratoga1927's Avatar Become A Pro!

they have a 16 team playoff in the other divisions.... how does a playoff dilute the reg season. does march madness dilute reg season in ncaa bb? gimme a break. if the top 16 played with the higher rated teams playing at home it would fill the stands. when you get to the final eight you could begin to place them in the bigger bowl games (or just keep the higher rated at home until the finals) .... the way it currently stands the only reason that we don't have a tourney (like the other divisions) is because there are a certain few that are high up in the food chain who are filling there pockets with cash. it's too much like our government - filled with greedy goldman sachs rooster suckers. once they're revealed in some sorted scandal we may have a tourney like ALL the other divisions in ALL the other sports. case closed!

BiffTFinancial

Quote Originally Posted by saratoga1927 View Post
    they have a 16 team playoff in the other divisions.... how does a playoff dilute the reg season. does march madness dilute reg season in ncaa bb? gimme a break. if the top 16 played with the higher rated teams playing at home it would fill the stands. when you get to the final eight you could begin to place them in the bigger bowl games (or just keep the higher rated at home until the finals) .... the way it currently stands the only reason that we don't have a tourney (like the other divisions) is because there are a certain few that are high up in the food chain who are filling there pockets with cash. it's too much like our government - filled with greedy goldman sachs rooster suckers. once they're revealed in some sorted scandal we may have a tourney like ALL the other divisions in ALL the other sports. case closed!
    not even going to waste my time with this, as i've already won this argument decisively multiple times this fall. the reason for no 16-team playoff? have you seen attendance numbers at the lower division games? the NCAA doesn't want to play playoff games in front of 20,000 people (now that would feel like a Boise game).

ncaa tourney totally dilutes CBB regular season. that's why most people (other than die-hard college hoops fans) don't pay attention until march. wait, i said i wouldn't waste time with arguments of this pathetic ilk. back to work. i have some "sordid" scandals to which to attend. NBA starts soon, you'll have plenty of meaningless regular season games to keep you occupied.

saratoga1927
    saratoga1927's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTFinancial View Post
    not even going to waste my time with this, as i've already won this argument decisively multiple times this fall. the reason for no 16-team playoff? have you seen attendance numbers at the lower division games? the NCAA doesn't want to play playoff games in front of 20,000 people (now that would feel like a Boise game).

ncaa tourney totally dilutes CBB regular season. that's why most people (other than die-hard college hoops fans) don't pay attention until march. wait, i said i wouldn't waste time with arguments of this pathetic ilk. back to work. i have some "sordid" scandals to which to attend. NBA starts soon, you'll have plenty of meaningless regular season games to keep you occupied.
    who have you won this argument with in the past ? yourself?
    how many fans does a regular season div2 game get - you think they get 20k? right.
    how many fans does a div 1 game bring for reg season ? they'll get the same or more for a playoff game at home.
    oh yeah and how about those meaningless ncaa bb games there are to be played.
    go in the washroom and win another argument to convince yourself your not just masterbating once again.

sandman0713
    sandman0713's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 679

Quote Originally Posted by LINE-crush-ER View Post
    I see so many blogs about "I would like to see a playoff ", some even go on to say 16 team play off , I am assuming they mean on television , You know why bama and sec fans come out of the woodwork to voice their opinions , because it actually matters to them , They are busy making plans , waiting to go to what ever the GAME may be .
    So if your a tv fan of one of the teams that have to pay seat fillers , your opinion doesnt really matter
    It will always be about the teams that sell more tickets , why do you think VA TECH got in this year , BCS wants their vote again and will get it ,
    Once the Large Teams get pissed off , then and only then will you ever see something different . than a system like the BCS selection process .
    Had Alabama Won to LSU and Lost to Vanderbilt and went on to win the SEC championship - Alabama fans are smart enough to know how devastating of a loss that was and wouldn't feel shimed in the least as a 1 loss team out of the title game .
    don't forget the SEC started the division playoff -
    ok...you had me til right there...lol.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

12 team playoff with a few of the teams getting byes would work the best

the 5 power conference winners Pac 12, Big 10 , SEC, ACC, Big 12 ( Sorry Big East you guys are a basketball conference)

and 7 at large bids.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

I don't want to see a play off. I want to see a playoff.

sandman0713

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    I don't want to see a play off. I want to see a playoff.
    i know man...i thought he was talking about someone about to get a delay of game call...lol.
    Last edited by sandman0713; 12-06-11 at 05:39 PM.

sandman0713

removed
    Last edited by sandman0713; 12-06-11 at 05:39 PM.