ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

What would happen if Georgia beats LSU?

Georgia Would go to the Sugar automatically,

then does lsu go to the national championship still?

and bama is out of the bcs? and is playing in the toliet bowl ?

or what?

talk about massive chaos if that were to happen.

i doubt it does, unless georgia get some super home cooking

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

A few weeks ago, I said that there should not be an LSU/Bama rematch because I didn't feel a team that didn't win its own conference should play for a national championship. Now, it looks like it will happen as long as Alabama beats Auburn tomorrow. The ULTIMATE irony though would be if Georgia then beats LSU, because we would then have TWO teams that did not win their conference playing for the national championship, since Georgia would be the official SEC champs.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

...here's hoping Georgia does it.

BCS is a bunch of crap, we need a playoff system.

LT Profits

To answer the OP's question, yes, LSU is already in the NCG. If they lose to Ga, they won't drop to lower than #2, so they'll still be in.

ebbearsfb1

agreed lt

but then bama would have to be out of the national championship right?

unless they make exceptions when the conference has a team in the championship game?

bcs is a joke but could get really wild if that happened

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by ebbearsfb1 View Post
    agreed lt

but then bama would have to be out of the national championship right?

unless they make exceptions when the conference has a team in the championship game?

bcs is a joke but could get really wild if that happened
    HUH? Assuming Alabama wins tomorrow, they will be #1 if LSU loses to Ga. If Alabama wins tomorrow, it would guarantee LSU/Bama rematch.

ShawNee922
    A fool thinks himself to be wise ..
    ShawNee922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 817

It doesn't matter ... Alabama will beat whoever they play for the National Championship ...

LSU was outplayed once already and will be again ...

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

this particular scenario is the only one that allows three teams from one conference in the bcs

it's amazing someone had the foresight to think of this scenario but they did....and unfortunately it's another win for the bcs

ebbearsfb1

Thanks drink. For clarifying that

LT Profits

On the one hand, if the ultimate goal of the BCS is to have the REAL two best teams in the country playing for the national championship, then they have succeeded because there is no denying that LSU and Alabama are easily the two best teams in the land. BUT, as I have said umpteen times, the problem I have with the system is that I don't think that a team that didn't win its own conference should play for a national championship, and here, it is possible that two teams that didn't win their conference are playing for all the marbles if Georgia beats LSU. If college football wants to keep the BCS in tact, they should change the rule so that the top two ranked CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS in the final BCS Standings would play in the NCG instead of just the top two teams as it reads now.

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

if LSU loses to Georgia there is a chance that Ok St can jump them, but that depends on how those games go.

and of course if Georgia wins, and you want the champion caveat, the national championship game could be VaTech and Oklahoma??
    Last edited by gryfyn1; 11-27-11 at 08:22 AM.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by gryfyn1 View Post
    if LSU loses to Georgia there is a chance that Ok St can jump them, but that depends on how those games go.
    Not really because losing the SEC Championship Game isn't as bad as losing to Iowa State. You have to look at the full body of work, not just the last game when splitting teams with equal amount of losses. Well, you should do that all the time anyway, but it's not always the case. As far as the computers go, LSU is locked in to a top two spot, so the humans would need to bump Okie State up.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    On the one hand, if the ultimate goal of the BCS is to have the REAL two best teams in the country playing for the national championship, then they have succeeded because there is no denying that LSU and Alabama are easily the two best teams in the land. BUT, as I have said umpteen times, the problem I have with the system is that I don't think that a team that didn't win its own conference should play for a national championship, and here, it is possible that two teams that didn't win their conference are playing for all the marbles if Georgia beats LSU. If college football wants to keep the BCS in tact, they should change the rule so that the top two ranked CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS in the final BCS Standings would play in the NCG instead of just the top two teams as it reads now.
    So do you have an issue with the nfl? Not only did the packers not win their division last year but look at the giants in 2007. They lost the last game of reg season to the pats, didn't win their division, but had a chance to play them again in the super bowl even though the pats were undefeated and obviously won. what's the difference?

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    So do you have an issue with the nfl? Not only did the packers not win their division last year but look at the giants in 2007. They lost the last game of reg season to the pats, didn't win their division, but had a chance to play them again in the super bowl even though the pats were undefeated and obviously won. what's the difference?
    BIG difference, because the NFL has a PLAYOFF system so teams earn the right to go to the Super Bowl. There is nothing wrong with a wild card becoming a conference champion because it had to win three playoff games to do it. The analogy to pro sports that I would looks at is when the two best teams in the entire league come out of the same conference. Only one of them could go to the Super Bowl or championship series in other sports, yet here you have two SEC teams playing each other.

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

Would Boise State benefit more from an increased strength of schedule that a GA. win would produce?

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by gryfyn1 View Post

and of course if Georgia wins, and you want the champion caveat, the national championship game could be VaTech and Oklahoma??
    If the conference champions rule was in place now, then LSU would kill Georgia because they would have something to play for. Also, if that rule was in place, then a Georgia win would carry a lot more weight and they could skyrocket up the human polls.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Meh

If there was an 8 team playoff it'd end up the same way even if they met in the semifinals. LSU and Bama would be playing for the de facto championship if it wasn't the final game anyway. Just like the old 49er/cowboy games in the 90s.

It's not like they're haphazardly in the championship game together. These are CLEARLY the two best teams. If anyone else had a case I'd see your angle.

Albert Pujols
    Albert Pujols's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 80

Go ahead and print the T-shirts. Bama vs LSU for the National Title. SEC Title game is an exhibition game.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    Meh

If there was an 8 team playoff it'd end up the same way even if they met in the semifinals. LSU and Bama would be playing for the de facto championship if it wasn't the final game anyway. Just like the old 49er/cowboy games in the 90s.

It's not like they're haphazardly in the championship game together. These are CLEARLY the two best teams. If anyone else had a case I'd see your angle.
    Oh, nobody is arguing that they aren't the two best teams, I have already said as much. I just don't think they should be placed in the NCG for the reasons I stated. A playoff system could work, and they could even set it up where they can meet in the NCG like college basketball, where teams from same conference can meet. An all SEC final earned by winning a couple of playoff games is preferable to them just being placed in the game, especially if Georgia beats LSU, which is now plausible from a motivation standpoint.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 408

I agree that they are the two best teams, but I don't like them playing for a different reason. It would be one thing if LSU beat Alabama in Baton Rouge because they would have had home field, and then we would see if Alabama could do it on a neutral field. The thing is, the victory happened in Tuscaloosa. Alabama is essentially being rewarded with a rematch even though they couldn't hold serve on their own field. Even if Alabama wins the BCS Championship, I still see LSU as the better team because of where they won their game at.

ZBOIZ
    ZBOIZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9739

If Oklahoma State beat Oklahoma handily I wouldn't be suprise to Oklahoma St jumping Bama

P.F.Kasooff
    P.F.Kasooff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by ZBOIZ View Post

If Oklahoma State beat Oklahoma handily I wouldn't be suprise to Oklahoma St jumping Bama

Ok St is 5th in Coaches Poll - cant jump that many spots - waiting on Harris poll

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by ZBOIZ View Post
    No way in hell Ok State can jump Bama. Only LSU is minor jeopardy if they lose, but I think the rematch is already a done deal.