P.F.Kasooff
    P.F.Kasooff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

No way Oregon jumps Alabama now if Bama wins next 2

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9752

what if arkansas beats lsu? but lsu beat oregon? who then

this is why we need a playoff even if its not a set playoff. They have all of december to have playoffs setup.

How about 8 games, then on new years, the 4 major bowl games with the remaining 8 teams. It only extends the season for 2 teams pretty much since national title game is not even on new years

P.F.Kasooff

No way LSU can like this No team wants a rematch with a team they have beaten

Scoobdog24
    Scoobdog24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3765

I agree, Alabama is in. LSU would still be in if they lost to Arkansas.

P.F.Kasooff

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobdog24 View Post

I agree, Alabama is in.
    Slam-Dunk

Both Oregon & Bama have 1 loss but Bama's loss is to LSU in OT

LSU would still be in if they lost to Arkansas.

Dunno...

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Has anyone figured out the answer to what the two sec teams are to get in if arky beat LSU? Bcs rank wouldn't be a factor because they'd all be within five rankings of each other. Sec commish picks the two reps or something like that?

P.F.Kasooff

Someone in-the-know has to step up because there is the SEC Championship Gm to figure in if Ark beats LSU

Side Note- Dont count out Auburn beating Bama! Strange series that is

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

ROLL TIDE!!!!!

We're Baaaaaaaaack!

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by P.F.Kasooff View Post
    Someone in-the-know has to step up because there is the SEC Championship Gm to figure in if Ark beats LSU

Side Note- Dont count out Auburn beating Bama! Strange series that is

I remember hearing one of the BCS experts mention emphatically last week that although it's weird to have a non champion from a conference chosen for one of the top 2 spots in the BCS game.....it's not a rule at the end of the day as we sit......so now it's plausible that Bama could play Oregon or Oklahoma still if Arkansas beats LSU AND Georgia in Dec.....gotta love the system......PLAYOFFS need to be brought in I still say.

P.F.Kasooff

Quote Originally Posted by itchypickle View Post

ROLL TIDE!!!!!

We're Baaaaaaaaack!

The SEC haters are soooooooooooo pissed

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by itchypickle View Post

I remember hearing one of the BCS experts mention emphatically last week that although it's weird to have a non champion from a conference chosen for one of the top 2 spots in the BCS game.....it's not a rule at the end of the day as we sit......so now it's plausible that Bama could play Oregon or Oklahoma still if Arkansas beats LSU AND Georgia in Dec.....gotta love the system......PLAYOFFS need to be brought in I still say.
    Oklahoma lost a while back in the b12 championship to kansas st and still made the natl championship game where they proceeded to get trounced by USC. A little different but they were less deserving than Bama IMO.

I wanna see a rematch but for all of us who want a playoff we need to root for arky. How ridiculous would it be if there were 8 teams with one loss?

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

The SEC haters are soooooooooooo pissed

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    Oklahoma lost a while back in the b12 championship to kansas st and still made the natl championship game where they proceeded to get trounced by USC. A little different but they were less deserving than Bama IMO.

I wanna see a rematch but for all of us who want a playoff we need to root for arky. How ridiculous would it be if there were 8 teams with one loss?
    Yeah it's simply insane how much better the SEC West is compared to the next tier out there this season....some grown ass men in this league this year Whats odd is I think Arkansas is better than what they are playing this year...that WR corps has underperformed and they are STILL where they are.

Wait til Sunday night and we hear the calls for Houston to jump up into the chute vs LSU/Bama.....madness

RonPaul2008
    Update your status
    RonPaul2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243569

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    what if arkansas beats lsu? but lsu beat oregon? who then

this is why we need a playoff even if its not a set playoff. They have all of december to have playoffs setup.

How about 8 games, then on new years, the 4 major bowl games with the remaining 8 teams. It only extends the season for 2 teams pretty much since national title game is not even on new years
    LSU is going to destroy Arkansas and whoever they play in the championship. They are by far the beat team.

sportfan
    sportfan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4425

you must be dumb , nobody want to see those 2 rematch , bored as fukk

P.F.Kasooff

Quote Originally Posted by sportfan View Post

you must be dumb , nobody want to see those 2 rematch , bored as fukk

Perhaps I'm a dummy But explain how it wont happen if both lsu & bama win their next 2 gms

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Will be such a fucken boring game AGAIN

P.F.Kasooff

Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post

will be such a fucken boring game again

o/u 19 1/2

Dkid
    Play to win.
    Dkid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 614

I agree, Alabama is in. LSU would still be in if they lost to Arkansas.
    you realize what you just said is impossible right?
    both lsu and bama cant be in the bcs if lsu loses a game.

eleuropeano
    eleuropeano's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1924

Slam-Dunk

Both Oregon & Bama have 1 loss but Bama's loss is to LSU in OT
    But Alabama's loss is AT HOME, while Oregon was at a neutral field (Dallas, which is much closer to LSU than Oregon) and it was first game, a team has much more time to improve over the entire season.

And now you are going to say Bama only lost by e field goal and Oregon was routed.

It is one of those arguements that can only be closed by a playoff.

I really hope Arkansas wins against LSU and exposes the fallacies of this whole system.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

All I can say definitively is Oklahoma should not make title game even if they run the table. They had a brutal loss at home to a team coached by Tommy freaking Tubberville. The final score doesn't even remotely indicate how badly they were beaten.

Even if Oregon runs table they lose to Bama and LSU. Too much time for them to prepare for Oregon's offense.

As awful as it seems VTech could be a sleeper team if they run table.

KnowingNothing
    KnowingNothing's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 746

Anyones game over the next two weeks.

LSU and Oregon would be a good rematch.

fud007
    fud007's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Quote Originally Posted by eleuropeano View Post
    But Alabama's loss is AT HOME, while Oregon was at a neutral field (Dallas, which is much closer to LSU than Oregon) and it was first game, a team has much more time to improve over the entire season.

And now you are going to say Bama only lost by e field goal and Oregon was routed.

It is one of those arguements that can only be closed by a playoff.

I really hope Arkansas wins against LSU and exposes the fallacies of this whole system.
    100% agree with everything you said

BiffTFinancial
    BiffTFinancial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5368

no idea how anyone can use the current state of affairs to argue in favor of a playoff. if we had 3 or 4 unbeaten teams you'd have a much better argument. CFB is the only sport that has a meaningful regular season, playoff games every weekend. fools who want a 16-team playoff don't realize that they're arguing in favor of ruining the sport. if you want a sport with a meaningless regular season, you only have to wait one day - shitty NFL is tomorrow. quick - what was the best NFL regular season game from the past five seasons?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Dutch

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTFinancial View Post
    no idea how anyone can use the current state of affairs to argue in favor of a playoff. if we had 3 or 4 unbeaten teams you'd have a much better argument. CFB is the only sport that has a meaningful regular season, playoff games every weekend. fools who want a 16-team playoff don't realize that they're arguing in favor of ruining the sport. if you want a sport with a meaningless regular season, you only have to wait one day - shitty NFL is tomorrow. quick - what was the best NFL regular season game from the past five seasons?
    This is terrible logic

First of all if LSU loses to arky, you'd have four one loss teams who all lost to each other. You're going to pick two of them and definitively tell me that they're the two best of the group? You can't

Second, if the regular season is everything then why would there even be a bcs championship if LSU is undefeated and they play a one loss team? Particularly one that theyve already beaten.

Arguing that college will become the nfl is stupid too...they're completely different products. The nfl is built for parity. College is not. Power teams are less likely to be upset in college so when they play each other it's still a big deal. If you want to find the problem here you can talk about non conference scheduling in cfb. Oregon will never schedule a tough non conference game again after they miss out on the bcs championship game. Playoff system wouldn't penalize them the same way.

As for the best reg season nfl game I'll go packers/steelers from two years ago. No idea how that's relevant though.

BiffTFinancial
    BiffTFinancial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5368

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    This is terrible logic First of all if LSU loses to arky, you'd have four one loss teams who all lost to each other. You're going to pick two of them and definitively tell me that they're the two best of the group? You can't Second, if the regular season is everything then why would there even be a bcs championship if LSU is undefeated and they play a one loss team? Particularly one that theyve already beaten. Arguing that college will become the nfl is stupid too...they're completely different products. The nfl is built for parity. College is not. Power teams are less likely to be upset in college so when they play each other it's still a big deal. If you want to find the problem here you can talk about non conference scheduling in cfb. Oregon will never schedule a tough non conference game again after they miss out on the bcs championship game. Playoff system wouldn't penalize them the same way. As for the best reg season nfl game I'll go packers/steelers from two years ago. No idea how that's relevant though.
    heh. guess i have to waste my time winning this argument again this year. it's like a rite of November. let me see if i can go find last year's so that it will waste less time.

1. i will note that you begin your entire discussion on a "if/then" premise - if LSU loses to Arky, then the space-time continuum is disrupted and we all die. one thing i never understand with you CFB playoffophiles is why every argument begins with a hypothetical. it's the same as the mongoloids on ESPN wringing their hands the past few weeks over "what oh what will the BCS do to sort this out, bwah?" the games sort themselves out every year. i'm not saying it's flawless, it's simply better than some big playoff that dilutes the entire product. the ESPN guys worrying about BCS rankings in early October remind me of the people who complained that the Wire was too hard to follow. fine, go watch something that's spoonfed to you like Law & Order (or the NFL). the answer is: tune in at 330 pm Friday to watch LSU-Arky (hint: that's the reason that there will never be a large playoff, because the guys in charge of this feel the same way). other than Auburn in 2004, when was the last time that there was any argument that BCS did not correctly put the two best teams against one another? not saying that the BCS is perfect, but the point is to put #1 vs #2 and it does a good job of that.

2. the only playoff system that makes sense is a springing (optional) plus-one. some years, it may make sense (this year might be one). others (like Bama-Texas, Oregon-Auburn) it makes no sense and would only hurt the product. there is no way to know before the season how the season will play out. i will concede that this season or 2004 might present an argument in favor of a 4-team playoff. we'll get to the difficulty of properly constructing the trigger in a minute.

3. no one yet has ever presented a decent reason as to why a 8-team playoff is necessary, much less 16 teams. i trust that you would concede that the likes of Boise, South Carolina, Georgia, Michigan State don't belong in the NC discussion, because that's who populates 9-16 in the rankings? frankly, i don't see how Clemson, Va Tech, Stanford belong in the discussion either, and those would be the teams getting in via 8-team playoff. Clemson shat the bed and lost at Georgia Tech. Stanford got run off of the field at home by Oregon in their biggest game of the year. college football is about perfection, or being as close as you can get. of course there will be years in which there are not only undefeated teams at the end, and the only time that a team has an argument that they are being unfairly excluded is when they're undefeated in a major conference. each of the teams above had their chance and blew it. i don't see how allowing them back into the NC discussion does anything but dilute the quality of said NC race, but i'm sure that you'll help me with my logic on that one. will you concede that letting all teams with one or two losses back into the NC discussion dilutes the quality of the regular season?

4. the real point is that, if you want to ensure that you have only the best teams competing for the NC, you'd draw the line a different place each year. with Bama-Texas, there were clearly the two teams that deserved to play; same with Oregon-Auburn. the core issue is this, because it's the only way to solve it: how do you put together an objective system that will always have the right number of teams playing for the NC? even if i concede that we need to consider a larger playoff (i unequivocally do not), where do you draw the line there? we now spend the three days after Selection Sunday in March listening to ESPN's mongoloids wring their hands over the last 2 teams who didn't get in (i.e., the 40th or so best team in the nation, at best). if CFB has a playoff, it will simply shift the debate from the 2nd-6th best teams to the 7th-10th or 15th-18th (none of whom have any right to play for the NC - again, they blew their chance).

5. NFL isn't about parity. it's about fantasy football and shilling a bunch of shitty products and angry fans who get as shitfaced as possible to get in fights on a sunday. it's flag football now to inflate stats for fantasy dorks. you're right that they're completely different sports, thank goodness. a playoff system completely undercuts the do or die nature of a game like Oregon-Stanford last week. it completely dilutes the importance of Iowa State's win last night. in an 8-team playoff, Okie State still gets in. i like Okie State, but fuk 'em. they lost to Iowa State with the NCG in the balance. doesn't sound like a champion to me. an 8-team playoff would be entertaining, of course, but it would not be as likely to match the two best teams. in the NFL, teams now regularly win the SB as wildcards, which kills the regular season. Green Bay wasn't the best team last year, and the Stillers weren't when they won it. they were both the best team in their respective playoffs, to be sure. i hope the CFB never becomes that watered down. fortunately, the university presidents agree with me. their greatest fear is what has happened to college hoops, where the public now really only tunes in in March. hardcore CBB fans like me will always watch, but make no mistake, the increased value of March Madness has actually hurt CBB regular season.

6. the point, obviously, is that no one remembers NFL regular season games because they're meaningless. i remember Boise-Va Tech, 2010 Bama-Auburn, the last few Wisconsin-Ohio State games as if they were yesterday because they meant something. i don't even remember the Packers-Stillers game you mention. who won?

7. completely reject the premise of your statement about Oregon not scheduling tough non-conf teams after this season. if that were the case, they'd have stopped after their loss to Boise. if that were true, we'd have seen teams diluting their non-conf schedule since the inception of the BCS, and that has not been true.

8. bottom-line, i concede (a) that the BCS is not perfect, and (b) that if Arkansas beats LSU, this season would starkly underscore its imperfection. that said, i'm not sure how any playoff larger than 4 teams would help determine which of the top 4 deserves the NC - and you would have to concede that a four-team playoff only increases the likelihood of a rematch between LSU-Oregon or LSU-Bama (in fact, it would guarantee it), which you say you don't want to see. i'm open to a springing plus-one, and it wouldn't even affect the bowl structure much, but how do you put together an objective system that will work in all cases? very difficult.

thank you in advance for your next lesson in logic.
    Last edited by BiffTFinancial; 11-19-11 at 09:00 AM.

Shafted69
    Green Shoots 2021
    Shafted69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1693

Please dear god don't let any rematches occur. Especially don't let the Alabama rednecks get back to the title game, yawn !

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Dkid View Post
    you realize what you just said is impossible right?
    both lsu and bama cant be in the bcs if lsu loses a game.
    Technically yes they can....LSU has % cushion in the BCS standings already...they could lose to a top # Arkansas or...once they add to their power rankings with a win over Arkansas, then lose close to a Georgia.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I do not think TV wants lsu/Bama
    not great ratings game

P.F.Kasooff

Oregon needs for Bama to struggle against Ga Southern and for them to win BIG tonight against USC

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

i'm the only one that wants to see bama and lsu again. i fukkin love it. defense.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTFinancial View Post

Agree. College opens up with a playoff game, Week 1 LSU-Oregon.

It takes the NFL a good 13 weeks before games become must win.

P.F.Kasooff

Oregon needs for Bama to struggle against Ga Southern

Check! Ga Southern aint quitting

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I do not think TV wants lsu/Bama
    not great ratings game

If TV wants ratings...give us a playoff watch it go through the roof.

Otherwise I think its better to have the huge SEC market watch an entire game time rather than more people watch the blowout in the first half of another team at their hands then change it to watch reality TV shows.

12 Last