Gamblin'Machi
    Gamblin'Machi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1256

Arkansas -13

I'm a homer and love the hogs. I went big on them last week against Tennessee and won. I really like them again this week against Mississippi State, who turned out to be the most overrated SEC school this year. However, Mississippi State is better than Tennessee.

What do you all think about this one? I'm trying to put my bias aside and really determine if Arkansas is another big play this week.

Stompin_Tom
    Stompin_Tom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4140

laid it down on arky already. miss st should put up a better fight than tennessee. but theyre offense cannot keep up

jakeloftin2186
    jakeloftin2186's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1188

arky is terrible on the road compared to being at home

+Even
    +Even's Avatar Become A Pro!

I originally liked Arkansas in this game as well. But after realizing that they've got LSU 6 days after this game I'm on Mississippi St. This is a perfect spot for the trap/look-ahead game. I think this game is settled by 7 points or less and Arkansas should be weary of the upset.

DerekMadden
    DerekMadden's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Quote Originally Posted by jakeloftin2186 View Post
    arky is terrible on the road compared to being at home
    It is a home game.

brahmabull117
    brahmabull117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Quote Originally Posted by +Even View Post
    I originally liked Arkansas in this game as well. But after realizing that they've got LSU 6 days after this game I'm on Mississippi St. This is a perfect spot for the trap/look-ahead game. I think this game is settled by 7 points or less and Arkansas should be weary of the upset.

"the look ahead/trap" angle is sports betting to me is mainly BS. There is very little proof that teams who face superior competition in the next week of a ballgame tend to play down to their level of competition

If you want to look for an angle to take MSU - I would tell you it's Arkansas' mediocre run defense but Arkansas gave up a ton of rush yards against Auburn and still won by 24

+Even

Quote Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
    "the look ahead/trap" angle is sports betting to me is mainly BS. There is very little proof that teams who face superior competition in the next week of a ballgame tend to play down to their level of competition

If you want to look for an angle to take MSU - I would tell you it's Arkansas' mediocre run defense but Arkansas gave up a ton of rush yards against Auburn and still won by 24
    there's very little "proof" of any angle that works in sports betting. If there were then the books would all go out of business. I don't use the look ahead angle as an automatic, but I do like it here in this particular situation.

brahmabull117

there's very little "proof" of any angle that works in sports betting. If there were then the books would all go out of business. I don't use the look ahead angle as an automatic, but I do like it here in this particular situation.

I Just don't see too many examples where it's even remotely legitimate as a betting angle - I can show you tons of examples of the matchup angle (where 1 team's weakness is another team's strength) making a huge difference but not the "trap" angle

Look at the 2 biggest games of the year so far - Oregon - Stanford and Alabama - LSU

Stanford before Oregon game - won by 25 @ Oregon St
    Alabama before LSU game - won by 31 vs Bama
    Oregon before Stanford game - won by 17 @ Washington
    LSU Before Alabama game - won by 35 vs Auburn

there's your 4 teams playing the game before the 2 most hyped games so far of the college football season and all 4 teams went 4-0 ATS

With the BCS system nowadays, teams like Arkansas realize that any loss to any team will kill their BCS bowl hopes so everybody prepares hard every week. I just don't see any reason why a team like Arkansas would take a conference home game opponent "easily"

Elysee26
    Elysee26's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 646

Arkansas is a really good team. They will roll this weekend and probably beat LSU.

tokio
    tokio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2886

Hognation . Rooting for them to beat Miss St. and LSU

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Elysee26 View Post
    Arkansas is a really good team. They will roll this weekend and probably beat LSU.
    what do u think the spread will be for Arkansas @LSU?

I like Arkansas here. I am just concerned about their run defense. They were very poor tacklers against Ole Miss and Vandy. Miss State defense played well vs Alabama but Arkansas probably has a better passing attack than Bama.

Duke Fan
    Duke Fan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9801

I think LSU will be a little over a TD favorite,7.5-8 in my opinion. Saw that LSU D in person against Bama and they will give Arkansas's O fits. If LSU gets the running game going it could get ugly.
    Last edited by Duke Fan; 11-15-11 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Fan View Post
    I think LSU will be a little over a TD favorite,7.5-8 in my opinion. Saw that LSU D in person against Bama and they will give Arkansas's O fits. If LSU gets the running game going it could get ugly.

Arkansas was + 11 @ Bama and lost by 24

I think it will be LSU favored by 10-11 points in this game as well

Duke Fan

[er QUOTE=Big Bear;12367941]what do u think the spread will be for Arkansas @LSU?

I like Arkansas here. I am just concerned about their run defense. They were very poor tacklers against Ole Miss and Vandy. Miss State defense played well vs Alabama but Arkansas probably has a better passing attack than Bama.[/QUOTE]
    And yes, no doubt Arkansas has a better passing attack and that is from a Bama fan.

Before anyone asks Duke Fan why I say Bama Fan. Long story short, grew up in Carolinas and have been Duke fan all my life, but graduated from Bama after family transfer.

Duke Fan

I think LSU will be a little over a TD favorite,7.5-8 in my opinion. Saw that LSU D in person against Byama and they will give Arkansas's O fits. If LSU gets the running game going it could get ugly.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

on paper LSU matches up well against Arkansas but since it is a Rivalry game they tend to be pretty close games

IBGPN
    IBGPN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1264

this game is in little rock. homer here but i loaded up on arkansas last week and will again this week. i don't like betting on them but this is a low line that arkansas should cover easily. i think about 48-24.

weatherhawg
    weatherhawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 470

I got on Arkansas early (being a huge Hogs fan I follow them very close...) but the more I think about it, the more I regret betting them here. Over the past decade State has shown up a bit flat and uninspired to play the Hogs...especially in away games. That wasn't the case last season though: State used it's running game and a weak Hogs run defense to control the clock and the game. They were poised to take a two-score lead in the third quarter before an untimely fumble by their quarterback and a quick ~70 yard touchdown pass turned the entire game around. Still a tight game from that point on and the Hogs needed overtime and another lucky bounce to win it in the end.

I think State will employ a similar strategy...taking advantage of a suspect Hogs rush defense to keep the game close. Not sure motivation will be a huge factor here: the Hogs are playing for a 'back-door' national title opportunity while the Bulldogs are coming off a loss to a rival and fighting for bowl eligibility... still I see a dangerous and capable 5-loss Mississippi State team coming in to Little Rock and making this a good game.... I hope the Hogs cover...but a spread of 7-10 points may be more realistic....
    Points Awarded:

luckyutah gave weatherhawg 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

CBASS
    BUCK FAMA
    CBASS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 815

Quote Originally Posted by IBGPN View Post
    this game is in little rock. homer here but i loaded up on arkansas last week and will again this week. i don't like betting on them but this is a low line that arkansas should cover easily. i think about 48-24.

The game is in Baton Rouge.

peterrr
    peterrr's Avatar Become A Pro!

MISS QB is listed as Questionable (Concussion) = Limited practice
    MISS DB Out for the season

Ark's looking good this weekend

DerekMadden

Quote Originally Posted by CBASS View Post
    The game is in Baton Rouge.
    this thread is about Miss State @ Arkansas

+Even

Quote Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
    I Just don't see too many examples where it's even remotely legitimate as a betting angle - I can show you tons of examples of the matchup angle (where 1 team's weakness is another team's strength) making a huge difference but not the "trap" angle

Look at the 2 biggest games of the year so far - Oregon - Stanford and Alabama - LSU

Stanford before Oregon game - won by 25 @ Oregon St
    Alabama before LSU game - won by 31 vs Bama
    Oregon before Stanford game - won by 17 @ Washington
    LSU Before Alabama game - won by 35 vs Auburn

there's your 4 teams playing the game before the 2 most hyped games so far of the college football season and all 4 teams went 4-0 ATS

With the BCS system nowadays, teams like Arkansas realize that any loss to any team will kill their BCS bowl hopes so everybody prepares hard every week. I just don't see any reason why a team like Arkansas would take a conference home game opponent "easily"

Dude you're Bama and LSU examples arent even comparable. Both of those teams had bye weeks before they played eachother. Arkansas goes to play LSU SIX DAYS after this game, on a Friday. Completely different scenarios. If you don't think they are looking ahead, then we disagree.....but your examples are useless

DerekMadden

Dude you're Bama and LSU examples arent even comparable. Both of those teams had bye weeks before they played eachother. Arkansas goes to play LSU SIX DAYS after this game, on a Friday. Completely different scenarios. If you don't think they are looking ahead, then we disagree.....but your examples are useless
    Very good possibility for them to look ahead, but at the same time 16 Seniors are from Little Rock.
    This game is going to be "Senior Night 2.0"

Holdin Aces
    Holdin Aces's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

Been on the Hogs big last 2 weeks don't see a reason to stop now.

d00d
    d00d's Avatar Become A Pro!

TN is complete and utter ineptitude. big difference in these opponents

Gamblin'Machi

I just don't see a let down happening here. If there is going to be a let down, it will be next week against LSU. And by let down, I mean them losing by 20+ at LSU.

Gamblin'Machi

I'm thinking the game is a little slow at the beginning but turns out to be a 37-20 game

weatherhawg
    weatherhawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 470

Gamblin I hope you're right. But...State has a decent defense and their secondary is comparable to Vandy. The Hogs only scored 24 offensive points in that one. On paper....this certainly looks more like a dog fight than a cake walk... Good thing the Hogs are at home...

Gamblin'Machi

This is senior night 2.0. Top Defensive senior Jake Bequette and Playmaker Joe Adams are from Little Rock. Look for them to have huge games. And with Oklahoma State losing, Arkansas becomes a dark horse and could slip through the back door to the SEC championship as long as they take care of business. Petrino has this team focused and they will jump on them from the beginning. This group of seniors are 7-0 at War Memorial Stadium and look for them to make it 8-0 in a big way. Hogs win by 24