CapperGuy
    CapperGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 698

Interesting matchup in the MAC

Initially I was scratching my head and believed that Miami Ohio was a steal at 13 point underdogs. But the more I'm researching the more I'm beginning to lean towards Temple. I believed Temple has no business being favored by two touchdowns but if you break it down and analyze the styles of play the line is spot on. Usually when we get a low O/U and a large spread it equates to a one sided beatdown. The books believe Miami Ohio will have trouble scoring in this match tonight. Zac Dysert is good don't get me wrong but his stats are distorted because last two games they played a hapless Akron and Buff. Let's be serious the lack of running game for Miami Ohio leads me to believe that Dysert is going to have a hard time infiltrating that Temple defense tonight. With the more balanced offense in Temple and the terrible rushing D by Miami Ohio I believe even without Pierce, the 5'5 Matt Brown in the backfield is explosive and can very well create a nightmare for Miami Ohio's defense. Coyer being a dual threat qb looked impressive to me and almost resembles the same style of play as the NIU qb Harnish and you see the problems he has caused for defenses. Based on the line setup and the matchup problems here I'm really leaning towards taking the home favorite with the points despite everyone hyping up the road underdog in an unpredictable MAC showdown tonight. Any thoughts?

Jca6000
    Jca6000's Avatar Become A Pro!

Im planning on putting a decent size bet down on the over rushing yards for either Matt Brown or Chris Coyer (especially since Pierce is out). Who do you think gets more yards tonight?

CapperGuy

After Miami Ohio saw how successful and mobile Coyer was last week I believe they will have a permanent qb spy on him, aside from that he will have plenty of yardage with his legs tonight but not as much as Matt Brown. Brown will exploit the weak Rush D of the Miami Ohio and the only reason I believe he will have more yards is because he will get more touches, hence it means he will have more opportunities to accumulate a lot of yards through 4 quarters.

Jca6000

Thats where I was leaning, I imagine he will get 25+ touches tonight especially since the back up is a freshman who hasn't seen playing time. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is that Coyer destroyed a decent Ohio rush defense and I worry he will get the edge tonight in terms of being the go to guy. Any chance Coyer ends up getting more carries tonight than Brown?

Jca6000

Or that the team in general goes more pass heavy without Pierce? Coyer was pretty decent through the air last week.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by CapperGuy View Post
    Initially I was scratching my head and believed that Miami Ohio was a steal at 13 point underdogs. But the more I'm researching the more I'm beginning to lean towards Temple. I believed Temple has no business being favored by two touchdowns but if you break it down and analyze the styles of play the line is spot on. Usually when we get a low O/U and a large spread it equates to a one sided beatdown. The books believe Miami Ohio will have trouble scoring in this match tonight. Zac Dysert is good don't get me wrong but his stats are distorted because last two games they played a hapless Akron and Buff. Let's be serious the lack of running game for Miami Ohio leads me to believe that Dysert is going to have a hard time infiltrating that Temple defense tonight. With the more balanced offense in Temple and the terrible rushing D by Miami Ohio I believe even without Pierce, the 5'5 Matt Brown in the backfield is explosive and can very well create a nightmare for Miami Ohio's defense. Coyer being a dual threat qb looked impressive to me and almost resembles the same style of play as the NIU qb Harnish and you see the problems he has caused for defenses. Based on the line setup and the matchup problems here I'm really leaning towards taking the home favorite with the points despite everyone hyping up the road underdog in an unpredictable MAC showdown tonight. Any thoughts?
    Sharp post...................

Serbone
    Serbone's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by CapperGuy View Post
    Temple "D" looked pretty bad last week... and they have slipped the last 4-5 games, makes me think something is wrong that we do not understand. Look at last 5 games... none impressive, beat some weaklings, thats it, lost to Ohio, BG, Toledo, beat Buffalo and Ball St. Not that Miami has been impressive. But 13 pts!
    Temple's new QB Coyer looks like a possible huge upgrade, though, and that is what Temple needed, so the O might be OK even with Pierce out... but you cannot be sure, last week was Coyers first time with extensive playing time, and the Ohio D was not prepared for him, especially his running was not accounted for. I think.
    It was one game.
    Miami is competitive, gritty, and you get 13 pts with a good QB in a game that would NOT be a shocker if Miami wins outright. QB Dysert is smart, savvy and should go with a possession passing game, run the clock, keep their D off the field.
    AND there is alway a back door cover opportunity when you have that many pts and a good QB. Defense lets them score, up 17, late in the game.
    You asked for opinions, I say Miami + 13.

Jca6000

Im stuck on over 84 yards rushing for Coyer or over 82 yards rushing for Matt Brown. Im leaning Brown though.

startwinningtoda
    startwinningtoda's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 768

hey capper

Yeah i'm along the same lines here, totally thinking same thing with + being a steal at first...
    I also got miami ohio being notoriously slow starters, something like 6.5 points avg 1st half,
    so I'm going to roll temple -7 1st half thinking the same way just a little safer

CapperGuy

Interesting responses guys and I appreciate the feedback. The one dimensional style of offense for Miami Ohio reminds me of the Maryland/Temple matchup. Maryland lacked a rushing game and were dependent on offensive production through the air, look what Temple did to them. I'm seeing a very similar matchup here against Miami Ohio. Dysert is an absolute stud and there is definitely a chance for a backdoor cover don't get me wrong I just see a Temple team at home against a one dimensional offensive team on the road and I can't ignore the high spread low O/U because the books truly believe a DD win for Temple is in the making tonight. But then again it's a difficult game to cap because a lot of intangibles need to be taken into perspective before committing to either team here. Dysert forces a lot of throws and on the road he may get flustered knowing their rushing game is a non factor against Temple, might be asking too much for him and I won't be surprised if he throws 2 or more interceptions tonight. Coyer is most definitely an upgrade for Temple. Either way should be an interesting matchup and I could be completely off on this one tonight but I am going to wait until kickoff to see where the lines rest. BOL to all bettors

startwinningtoda
    startwinningtoda's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 768

hopefully

you ended up 1st half like we talked about or no play,
    would have been awesome to get on both sides and do temple 1st hlf and mi oh to cover?