John Ryan
    John Ryan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3250

No. 19 Nebraska at No. 12 Penn State with John Ryan

Either Monday or Tuesday I take a break form the study of this week's card and take a quick glance at the week ahead. Last week, I saw this game as a fantastic one to handicap and now it has taken on a completely different tone. The impact of the heinous actions by former Penn State defensive coordinator may be minimal since these horrific actions occurred years ago and that Sandusky has been out of the program since 1999. My hope is that the players, the school, and the community realize that Happy Valley is still a great community, where hard work is still the norm. That the actions of one very sick individual will not drag down the community and the University character that Happy Valley has represented for decades.

Are you surprised that Nebraska opened as a 2 1/2 point favorite?

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

I like Joe Pa. He is a great coach and even better person but I think Penn State loses their next 3 games.

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

They saw him in action in 2002 in the shower and did NOTHING about it! I hope they all take the fall including the old man.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

what happened in the shower ?

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

The freak was rapeing some kid....a graduate assistant saw it and reported it to Paterno the next day who in turn did NOTHING. Bottom line....80ish old men shouldn't be running programs in charge of hundreds of people. More often than not...they don't know what the hell is going on and their decision making process has rotted away with age.
    Last edited by Mr Handicapable; 11-07-11 at 09:14 AM.

John Ryan

The Wall Street Journal has a link to the Grand Jury documents adn believe they are sickening. Yes, this could be a setup by a disgruntled troubled boy, but it appears that is NOT the case here. Sandusky used his Second Mile charity to exploit these trouble youths. and had access to hundreds of them.. I caution you before hand that the grand jury document is highly graphic. I stopped readig after the first page!

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

I'd say the line reflects something heavy's going to go down this week at PSU.

Nittany Lions should be -2.5 here -- not +2.5. Wait and see what happens with Paterno before you place this bet.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

gshock1
    gshock1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 750

Take Nebraska. This game reminds me of the Miami - Maryland game early this year. Too much adversity around a program. Coaches will be busy addressing media buzz vs. gameplanning.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

I middled out of this game. I had Nebraska -1 on a future, and took Penn State +3 yesterday. Let's face it. The Big 10 is really flakey this season. Penn State is still undefeated in the Big 10. Granted the Big 10 is a terrible Conference, but that still says something. Nebraska lost to Northwestern at home. A Northwestern team that had a 3-5 record going into that game. A Northwestern team that was a 17 point dog. Nebraska now has two conference losses, to go along with Michigan and Iowa in the Legends Division. Michigan State has 1 conference loss, that being to, you guessed it, Nebraska. In the mean time, Penn State has a two game lead on Ohio State and Wisconsin, no conference losses, and is the only 1 loss team left in the Big 10. Unfortunately, Penn State finishes at Ohio State and at Wisconsin. It is going to be a long bowl season for the Big 10.

therookie300
    therookie300's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Handicapable View Post
    The freak was rapeing some kid....a graduate assistant saw it and reported it to Paterno the next day who in turn did NOTHING. Bottom line....80ish old men shouldn't be running programs in charge of hundreds of people. More often than not...they don't know what the hell is going on and their decision making process has rotted away with age.
    Paterno reported to the AD Curley. He reported what he was told to the person who was in charge of athletics. Curley is the cover up artist here. You could say that Joe didn't do enough. I will give you that. It doesn't matter anyway, the whole house will get cleaned after this.

I have already made my bet on Nebraska. I think the media hooplah is really going to be a detriment to PSU on Saturday.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

I really like Nebraska in this spot.

flocko76
    flocko76's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3316

Not that nebraska is as talented as oklahoma, but psu has been sneaking along like kansas state all season (since the alabama game.) I think they get exposed here. (nebraska was probably caught looking ahead last week against northwestern just like Ohio state will be caught looking ahead this week against purdue.)

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

In betting it is very important to look at motivation. Ohio State had a let down week last Saturday vs Indiana, they were coming off an emotional prime time national telivision win over highly ranked Wisconsin and then they come back and play a noon game against Indiana and they didn't cover the spread b/c they didn't get up for that game.

Wisconsin on the other hand last week dissapointed after 2 last second hailmary road losses came back an opened a can of whoop ass on Purdue.

Ohio State will not over look Purdue this week, that much I can guarantee to you. I think Ohio State wins but I don't feel confident in them covering the 8 points on the road.

Nebraska last week I think just had an off week. I don't know if they over looked Northwestern but maybe they underestimated them. Northwestern is a pretty impressive offensive football team.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Penn State has an impressive resume so far this season but I doubt they will continue to pull off these 10-7 type wins.

I'm calling it right now, Penn State is about to go on a 3 game losing streak.

j_to_the
    j_to_the's Avatar Become A Pro!

John,

Curious if you are going to be offering research on this game as well as a prediction?

I think Nebraska bounces back and defeats a VERY unfocused Penn State squad.

HR Paperstacks
    HR Paperstacks's Avatar Become A Pro!

Blowout City with or without the scandal. Take the skers!

John Ryan

All I can say at this present time is why has the Board of Trustees announced a 10:00 PM press conference tonight? Is it the obvious decision? strange time to say the least, but the announcement must be a monumental one.

I do want to emphasize that my 5* plays of PSU plus the points and 'over' the posted is based solely on the game and has nothing to do with his incredible numbing event.

I am wondering if this is rumore or fact as well. I was watching ESPN just 10 minutes ago and that is what they announced during the half time of the Temple game.
    Last edited by John Ryan; 11-09-11 at 09:07 PM.

John Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    I'd say the line reflects something heavy's going to go down this week at PSU.

Nittany Lions should be -2.5 here -- not +2.5. Wait and see what happens with Paterno before you place this bet.
    Yes, I agree, PSU ought to be favored. especially on Senior Day.

Time is Money
    Time is Money's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6389

Quote Originally Posted by John Ryan View Post
    Yes, I agree, PSU ought to be favored. especially on Senior Day.
    Can you really expect PSU players heads to be in the game after this scandal?

spike1519
    spike1519's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

the line moved on this news immediatly I'm not sure if people have some moral objection to betting penn st or it's just that they think neb. is a better team I to was surprised at the line and thought that penn st. shoulda been favored right off the bat however now with the firing of paterno effective immediatly (That's what I read tonight) I think it affect's this play. I'm not really sure how much actual game time decisions he was involved with as he was in the booth and has been absent from the sidelines. I really think that nebraska is a tough club and wins here straight up especially now that paterno is gone. If he was involved in all play calls then definetly nebraska would have a tough time if he had it set up so after so many years as head coach the other offensive coaches called most of the plays ( which i suspect, he is slower and older) then it might even be a motivation for the lions to let the paterno ERA'S end on a winning note. Personally I think the players are probably at the VERY LEAST DISTRACTED by all this how could they have possibly had a normal week of practice with all this swirling around them. I like nebraska here........spike........
    Last edited by spike1519; 11-09-11 at 11:14 PM.

John Ryan

Keep in mind that paternity did very little hands on with practices and game plans. Yes the players are distracted but the coaches have the normal time to prepare. Actually coming off the bye week. This is senior day as well. I think PSU is the better team and getting the points is a great opportunity. It is hard for me to morally play this game. However. I want the players to rise and overcome this crap on both teams.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: spike1519

John Ryan

I am very torn over how to play the game or not play the game. How can I actually try to play this game knowing that we have such a big time unknown. That we simply do not know how the players will respond. The sim - as with any intangible such as a scandal - has no clue that this is going on. It does have the history of games that did have overhangs attached to them.. But, morally, is this the right thing for us to do? i am not prudish by any stretch, but I am beginning to feel that Nebraska wins this by 30 points or PSU wins this by 30.. and I just don't see anything in between.

GChild
    GChild's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1398

I am very torn over how to play the game or not play the game. How can I actually try to play this game knowing that we have such a big time unknown. That we simply do not know how the players will respond. The sim - as with any intangible such as a scandal - has no clue that this is going on. It does have the history of games that did have overhangs attached to them.. But, morally, is this the right thing for us to do? i am not prudish by any stretch, but I am beginning to feel that Nebraska wins this by 30 points or PSU wins this by 30.. and I just don't see anything in between.
    John,

You sound like you have been doing this along time...so this is a ame you just don't bet!!!

Who knows who will show up for this one???
    g/l

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11139

Keep in mind that paternity did very little hands on with practices and game plans. Yes the players are distracted but the coaches have the normal time to prepare. Actually coming off the bye week. This is senior day as well. I think PSU is the better team and getting the points is a great opportunity. It is hard for me to morally play this game. However. I want the players to rise and overcome this crap on both teams.
    What the hell does the actions of a pedophile have to do with betting on a football game? Mentioning not betting and morality in the same sentence is rather loose IMO.

That said, PSU wins this game in an emotional low scoring game. PSU players can't wait to get the events of the past week behind them. They will win one for a living legend. Did you all forget about Lloyd Carr or Al Davis a few weeks ago? Times like this is when teams feel that it's us against the world. Either play PSU or no play

DJ Dana
    DJ Dana's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 241

morals aside, the smartest play on this game is the UNDER. Last I checked it was 42.5 and I don't see either team exceeding 20 pts individually.

Pennst8nut
    Pennst8nut's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mr Handicapable:

Next time before you go off talking about something you obviously do not know jack about, you should have your facts straight. A little fyi Joe Paterno did not do "NOTHING". He told his superior, the athletic director, Tim Curley the DAY THAT HE FOUND OUT. While I do agree that he should have called the police, and I think the actions are disgusting and despicable, AND i do think Joe deserved to be fired over it, you have no right to run your mouth about something you obviously have no information on and you are obviously bias about. You look like an ignorant tool honestly. Joe Paterno did more good than you will ever do in 50 lifetimes.

HR Paperstacks
    HR Paperstacks's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nebraska -3 and the under.

Huskers 24
    PSU 6

soonerstud7804
    Fade the FishStick
    soonerstud7804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

John sounds like your torn in this game i have decided too pass all together on this one. I just can't make any money on this one just dosen't feel right to me. I only play the games as a form or entertainment and don't pay my bills with my wagers so for me it just dosent make sense..

I am gonna look at osu looks like vegas has caught up with them historically they have had trouble in lubbock do you have any feeling either way on the osu tech game...alot of implications in the bcs if tech can knock down another top 3 team...

beerman2619
    beerman2619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

Christ some of you clowns make it sound like Paterno just died so Penn St will play hard for him in his honor. Oh wait he knew about a child getting raped in a shower and did nothing about it. Damn if i was on that team i would play hard in his honor. I'm sure all the Penn St players fired up and want to play well for the coaches that were fired because they let child raping going on at the campus

Smogs
    Smogs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 499

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    I like Joe Pa. He is a great coach and even better person but I think Penn State loses their next 3 games.
    Clearly NOT a better person, the old bastard should have done something about this - now his name is tarnished for the rest of his life, a shadow on the name that should have been great

pc2006mg
    pc2006mg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 302

What are John's plays for today??

hot cuisine
    hot cuisine's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 238

so what is your play here john?

spike1519
    spike1519's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

this is just one of the reason's your a good man John. This thread really show's how strongly this stuff affect's people. I'm posting this right after the game and nebraska was one of my early pick's so I could't take it back but My book already had it at 3.5 points so i ended up losing the bet. I think your one of the better capper's in the game as well as just a decent Human being. your remarks about vetrens day on the N.F.L thread were appreciated by many. Every week you show more and more why your worth trailing and learning from. I think this thread speaks volumes about how people are dealing with this all across the country. I feel for the kids on both of these teams who had to play this game. Alot of these guys are just teenagers themselves and I think both teams handled it as well as can be expected. Thanks as always John I hope after 18 years into this I'm half as good as you are at it...........spike.............

John Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by spike1519 View Post
    this is just one of the reason's your a good man John. This thread really show's how strongly this stuff affect's people. I'm posting this right after the game and nebraska was one of my early pick's so I could't take it back but My book already had it at 3.5 points so i ended up losing the bet. I think your one of the better capper's in the game as well as just a decent Human being. your remarks about vetrens day on the N.F.L thread were appreciated by many. Every week you show more and more why your worth trailing and learning from. I think this thread speaks volumes about how people are dealing with this all across the country. I feel for the kids on both of these teams who had to play this game. Alot of these guys are just teenagers themselves and I think both teams handled it as well as can be expected. Thanks as always John I hope after 18 years into this I'm half as good as you are at it...........spike.............
    I really appreciate the kind words Spike. I do try to get up everyday and do the right thing as so many people in this great nation of ours do. You know it comes to my mind that if we all tried to put someone else ahead of ourselves the nation would be an even better place for people to live, raise families, and just enjoy life. Pretty simple stuff really and I not trying to turn this into a Dr. Phil thread.. ha ha.. But thanks again. It means a lot to me Spike.

12 Last