bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

2006 Penn State Football Breakdown

this years penn st. team only returns 11 starters for the 2006 season, and a new starting QB in Anthony Morelli. this kid should fit very nicely into the penn state offensive system, although will struggle at times.

all world LB Paul Posluszny returns for another season at happy valley, and should provide enough leadership to maintain last years intensitity on that side of the ball.

Saturday, September 2 Akron Home
    Saturday, September 9 Notre Dame Away
    Saturday, September 16 Youngstown St. Home
    Saturday, September 23 Ohio State Away
    Saturday, September 30 Northwestern Home
    Saturday, October 7 Minnesota Away
    Saturday, October 14 Michigan Home (HC)2006
    Saturday, October 21 Illinois Home
    Saturday, October 28 Purdue Away
    Saturday, November 4 Wisconsin Away
    Saturday, November 11 Temple Home
    Saturday, November 18 Michigan St. Home
    my projection is they will go 9-3 this year.

stump
    stump's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

Penn State is in my neck of the woods, and I'd agree with your 9 - 3 call.
    Recruiting classes have been drastically improved the past 2 yrs, although the losses have been large, this should be a team that improves as the season goes on.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am leaning towards 8-4.

They will lose to Notre Dame and OSU. Both contests away and early in the season for a young team against powerhouse opponents. A likely loss to Michigan and one other offday performance against Minnesota, Purdue, or Wisconsin is going to yield 4 losses.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by isetcap
    I am leaning towards 8-4.

They will lose to Notre Dame and OSU. Both contests away and early in the season for a young team against powerhouse opponents. A likely loss to Michigan and one other offday performance against Minnesota, Purdue, or Wisconsin is going to yield 4 losses.
    That's a pretty good assessment, although I think their game against Michigan is more of a coin flip than a likely loss. I would say 8-4 as well.

bigboydan

this team was very tough for me to cap this year. they have 3 really tough games in osu,michigan (HC game), and ND.

i feel they will lose 2 out of the 3 of those games, and lose to wisky on the road.

bigboydan

According to the Associated Press, "Penn State sophomore receiver Mark Rubin has a broken right collarbone and will likely miss the rest of preseason camp." Rubin should miss about four weeks. The kid actually missed all of last season with an ankle injury, too, and may wind up switching to DB. Too early to dub him 'injury prone'

bigboydan

the Penn State secondary is definitely one of the team's larger question marks entering the season. "With more than two weeks to go until the season opener against Akron on Sept. 2, the secondary is a big unknown.

King is one of four new starters in the backfield... This year's unit does show potential, and might benefit from a year of watching last season's starting cornerbacks, Alan Zemaitis and Anwar Phillips." Potential is a dangerous thing, though. I don't know if these can live up to it or not.

bigboydan

according to a Penn State preview I just read, sophomores Deon Butler and Derrick Williams could mesh into one of the big ten’s top wide receiver duos. The 5-foot-10 Butler led the Nittany Lions with 37 receptions for 691 yards and nine TDs. Meanwhile, the 6-foot Williams added 22 receptions for 289 yards and a touchdown in seven games before missing the remainder of the season with a broken arm. Neither boasts scary size. But they can be scary good because of their big-play ability."

bigboydan

Joe Pa has released the official Penn State Nittany Lions starting lineup:

not sure if i like the sound of that "co-starters" at the QB position.

Offense
    WR Derrick Williams
    LT Levi Brown
    LG Gerald Cadogan
    C A.Q. Shipley
    RG Robert Price
    RT John Shaw
    WR Deon Butler
    QB Anthony Morelli
    TB Tony Hunt
    FB Matt Hahn
    TE Patrick Hall

Defense
    LE Josh Gaines
    LT Jay Alford
    RT Ed Johnson
    RE Jim Shaw
    OLB Paul Posluszny
    ILB Tim Shaw
    OLB Dan Connor
    CB Tony Davis
    FS Donnie Johnson
    SS Nolan McReady / Anthony Scirrotto (co-starters)
    CB Justin King