Machine Choice
    Machine Choice's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2736

I tried to talk myself out of Toledo, but I can't find a way

NIU gave up 48 points to CMU. CMU. They gave up 30 to Buffalo, which is one of the worst offensive teams in the country FCS or FBS!

This will definitely be the worst defense Toledo has seen all year.

And Toledo has the 27th ranked rush defense against solid competiton, and NIU relies on the rush. Mismatch.

I guess the line is still in single digits because of last year's matchup, but people don't realize that Toledo only had 5 returning starters on defense last year. This year it's 9. NIU had 15 returning starters last year, and this year 10 with only 2 on defense.

And now Toledo is 20th in total offense. Toledo is 3-1 ATS at home this year, NIU is 0-3 ATS on the road.

Whatever. I think Toledo is going to get some revenge for last year's blowout. Clear weather tonight, no critical injuries. No letdown spot.

TOLEDO 52
    NIU 26

TOLEDO -8.5
    Points Awarded:

MTek gave Machine Choice 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

That seems to be the obvious play.

jds07v
    jds07v's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 388

I like Toledo here, but what do you think about this?

Toledo -6 / Over Parlay (pays 2.2 to 1)
    Toledo Team Total Over 38

frankzig
    frankzig's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3622

the parlay looks good

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

No way toledo loses this game.
    I am taking NIU

Veets
    Veets's Avatar Become A Pro!

Toledo is at -10 at my book...glad I got it at 8.5 Machine let's get this

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

The only concern this play presents is that Toledo is a bit weak in their secondary and NIU does have a capable QB that receives excellent protection from the OL. If NIU decides to pass a lot early, Toledo could have a tougher matchup on their hands than it would appear on the surface.

TheCommish
    TheCommish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

I like it, too. The numbers certainly support it.

SoS rank
    NIU: 112
    Toledo: 49

Toledo's Offense Ranks 69 points better then NIU's Defense. Given the huge SoS differential, Toledo looks good here.

DerekMadden
    DerekMadden's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

I agree!

I got a teaser with

Toledo -2.5 and Over 61

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

Its great you got it at 8.5----it is 9.5/10 in some places now.

Toledo certainly seems to be rolling everyone. The only team to slow them down has been Boise. Everyone else, they have scored on.

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

Quote Originally Posted by cant call it View Post
    No way toledo loses this game.
    I am taking NIU
    this exactly how you handicap a game. good luck!

jakeloftin2186
    jakeloftin2186's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1188

Damn not looking good

shooms79
    shooms79's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2198

thats why a game is 4q. case in point: mnf sd/kc

jakeloftin2186

Toledo defense is worse then I thought and Toledo changed qbs after the starter lead two drives

CADILLACII
    CADILLACII's Avatar Become A Pro!

need a big 2nd half!!! time to step up home team!!

riffraff24
    ...and out come the wolves
    riffraff24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Lets get this!! Cmon Toledo!

jakeloftin2186

How r both defenses so terrible

riffraff24
    ...and out come the wolves
    riffraff24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Absolutely no defense on either side. looks like the safe pick was the over.

fecgp40
    fecgp40's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5185

How did Toledo not use their timeouts on defense when the clock was down to a minute and the other team was about to score? I know they wouldn't have covered the 8.5 anyway, but still. Doesn't it seem like there's some wierd stuff going on with Toledo football this year? I.E. the Syracuse game...

GimpedMaster
    Go Cards!
    GimpedMaster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 408

Machine, I'm usually in agreement with ya and I often follow you but this game it just seemed too unpredictable from the get go, made a nice chunk of change on the NIU Moneyline and live-betting the money line at +400 during the game...

Toledo may have been the correct choice from a research perspective but as you said yourself when you took your little time out from capping, there's alot more to it than that, and one of the big factors you just can't account for is luck. I think this game was decided on the moneyline simply by who had the last possession and in this case it was NIU.

megamillionslose
    megamillionslose's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3740

Toledo head coach is the cfb MORON of the week!

Only needed Toledo to win by one to win my teaser.Allowed N IL to run the clock down under 30 seconds in four down territory when Toledo had all three timeouts left.WTF!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fecgp40 View Post
    How did Toledo not use their timeouts on defense when the clock was down to a minute and the other team was about to score? I know they wouldn't have covered the 8.5 anyway, but still. Doesn't it seem like there's some wierd stuff going on with Toledo football this year? I.E. the Syracuse game...

Veets
    Veets's Avatar Become A Pro!

All good, just another play. Get after it the next game

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

Quote Originally Posted by megamillionslose View Post
    Only needed Toledo to win by one to win my teaser.Allowed N IL to run the clock down under 30 seconds in four down territory when Toledo had all three timeouts left.WTF!!
    Why would they call a timeout and help NIU out? They were trying to make a stop and win the game.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7799

Quote Originally Posted by BernardMadoff View Post
    Why would they call a timeout and help NIU out? They were trying to make a stop and win the game.
    they hadn't made a stop all game and niu had enough time regardless to do what they wanted. whatever was going to happen would have happened with 1:45-1:30 left or the 19 seconds that were left when they did score. i was pretty surprised when they let almost 2 minutes run off the clock with goal to go. could have easily gotten into field goal range with the time they lost and we could still be watching this game now actually,

CHAZ
    5-2-1 (+2.37 units)
    CHAZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3180

Quote Originally Posted by GimpedMaster View Post
    Machine, I'm usually in agreement with ya and I often follow you but this game it just seemed too unpredictable from the get go, made a nice chunk of change on the NIU Moneyline and live-betting the money line at +400 during the game...

Toledo may have been the correct choice from a research perspective but as you said yourself when you took your little time out from capping, there's alot more to it than that, and one of the big factors you just can't account for is luck. I think this game was decided on the moneyline simply by who had the last possession and in this case it was NIU.
    Where was this before the game started....

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post
    they hadn't made a stop all game and niu had enough time regardless to do what they wanted. whatever was going to happen would have happened with 1:45-1:30 left or the 19 seconds that were left when they did score. i was pretty surprised when they let almost 2 minutes run off the clock with goal to go. could have easily gotten into field goal range with the time they lost and we could still be watching this game now actually,
    I understand but after the two false starts pushing them further back, I could kind of see their reasoning, sad neither team played much defense, pathetic DB's all across the board

DerekMadden

Quote Originally Posted by BernardMadoff View Post

I understand but after the two false starts pushing them further back, I could kind of see their reasoning, sad neither team played much defense, pathetic DB's all across the board
    the delay of game and false start penalty was a play by NIU
    I remember back in high school we had a similar play where our right tackle would "fall on his face"
    after the penalty the clock starts again...

it was just a way for NIU to run more time off the clock because they knew they could score

Machine Choice

My only question is: where was Toledo's defense?

NIU defense...about what I expected.

But how does Toledo allow NIU to score more on them than Boise State did?

Rhetorical question. There are no answers, only questions.

DerekMadden

Quote Originally Posted by Machine Choice View Post
    My only question is: where was Toledo's defense?

NIU defense...about what I expected.

But how does Toledo allow NIU to score more on them than Boise State did?

Rhetorical question. There are no answers, only questions.
    that kind of stuff, falls completely on coaching.

AdaBarber
    Guess who's back......
    AdaBarber's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 137

Tuesdays games are fixed. What I see is that don't ever go with the obvious choice on Tuesday. Remember UCF was a 14 point favorite and lost by 2?

skers11
    skers11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 596

I think when they select whose playin these mid week games they are just looking to screw the public

niu smashed them 65-30 last year, has the best qb in the conference and returns most of starters from that same team, so why is everyone so surprised?

Machine Choice

Quote Originally Posted by skers11 View Post
    and returns most of starters from that same team, so why is everyone so surprised?
    Only on offense, not on defense

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

This is just another perfect example of why you DO NOT play MAC games, especially on weekdays. The line climbs from 8 to 10, and one again, Joe Pub takes a bath. Did you really think that the books were not going to sucker Joe Pub into thinking that Toledo was the obvious play after the hits they have taken this season? Books depend on people who cannot watch a game without having action on it. If you guys fall into that catagory, you will never succeed in this business. Last night was a perfect examle of that.

ManBearPig
    ManBearPig's Avatar Become A Pro!

If I looked at the box score on this one and didn't have the teams or a final score attached I still would've picked the wrong team to win, not cover. Toledo's defense definitely shit the bed in this one and I can't imagine it just being that NIU has such a stellar offense and they're so much better than Toledo's defense.

NIU hasn't really played anybody while Toledo has played the likes of Ohio State and Boise, so they've seen more elite athletes. Not that Ohio St is considered an offensive power this year, they still have superior athletes on both sides of the ball and TOL only lost by 5. They were in the Boise game until the 2H and then they looked like last night.

I think this is just the case of two familiar teams that know each other well and NIU seems to have Toledos number right now as they've now won 4 of the last 7 match-ups by an avg of 22 pts in those wins.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
    If I looked at the box score on this one and didn't have the teams or a final score attached I still would've picked the wrong team to win, not cover. Toledo's defense definitely shit the bed in this one and I can't imagine it just being that NIU has such a stellar offense and they're so much better than Toledo's defense.

NIU hasn't really played anybody while Toledo has played the likes of Ohio State and Boise, so they've seen more elite athletes. Not that Ohio St is considered an offensive power this year, they still have superior athletes on both sides of the ball and TOL only lost by 5. They were in the Boise game until the 2H and then they looked like last night.

I think this is just the case of two familiar teams that know each other well and NIU seems to have Toledos number right now as they've now won 4 of the last 7 match-ups by an avg of 22 pts in those wins.
    I give a lot of the credit to Harnish. He moved the ball very effectively both on the ground and in the air and Toledo had no answer for him. He hit the gaps when he could but multiple times he powered right up the middle and fought for the extra 3-5 yards for the first down. Huge personal effort.

12 Last