VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

West Virginia Headed To The Big 12

All but final. Big East loses another and is down to 5 football schools now. Right move for WVU, better to make the move now and just get out of the way

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Louisville better be next, Tom Jurich better be on the phones... don't wanna be last man out....

VegasInsider
    Update your status

I'm not sure there's any more room for Louisville in the Big 12. I think the Big Ten should expand and add Louisville and Cincinnati. It makes sense logistically, but then they'd be leaving UConn and South Florida to fend for themselves. South Florida and UConn could always join the ACC, which makes the most sense.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

all of this is being done for the sake of football, what about basketball?? The Big East was about #1 there for a long time

Jimmy0607
    Jimmy0607's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 285

Football is where the money is at

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Louisville generates a ton of $, sell out both sports every game... they'd be third in revenue in the big 12 right now, and the rumor was wvu and ville to b12 when it all began

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Basketball just follows suit of football. Wait until UConn joins the ACC (eventually) and makes that the best conference in college hoops. It probably will be anyways with the additions of Syracuse and Pitt.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Big east is toast, no one worth a shit is left

spurginobili
    Llano Estacado
    spurginobili's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20493

I think it's a good fit.

I expect Missouri to be in the cellar every year in the SEC.

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

Horrible move for WVU on the hoops side.
    As watered down as the Big12 is now...its not even that good of a move on the foots side.

WVU got screwed!

Regul8er
    Wordd

This is horrendous news for Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, Providence!

Not having D-IA programs will hurt these schools badly.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29054

great news for us!!!! going to be adjustment going from big east to big 12 in football, but will be well worth it cause big east wont even keep bcs bid when contracts are up soon..and for basketball, wvu will be fine...the big east is a sinking ship

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

I feel bad for Big East basketball. It was a great basketball conference.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    Horrible move for WVU on the hoops side.
    As watered down as the Big12 is now...its not even that good of a move on the foots side.

WVU got screwed!
    This isn't a horrible move at all. Financially, they're going to make a ton more money thru the Big 12 Network contract and access to more higher end bowl games. WVU will expand their recruiting into a territory that is dominated by Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Baylor, etc.

In terms of hoops, they don't care. Basketball isn't where the money is and WVU can still sell out home games, get good road crowds and make the tournament...all while contending for a Big 12 title.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by MUHerd37 View Post
    It sure was. I'm very disappointed that the Big East, as we know it, is pretty much done. WVU to the Big 12, Syracuse and Pitt to the ACC and I'll make the prediction that UConn will be an ACC member in the next 3-5 years. It certainly makes sense for football for UConn, seeing as the Big East is done and they can slide right in and have a territorial Rivalry with Boston College.

priskilla22
    priskilla22's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm so tired of all this nonsense. Every day there is a different story.

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

Won't work, Texas has a minimum tooth limit.

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

It was the right move for West Virginia - they had no choice. I think Louisville will eventually follow us into the Big 12 when the Big East implodes in a few days. Then I see UConn to the ACC, Rutgers to the Big 10 or ACC, and Cincinnati and USF in big trouble, back to Conf USA.

I also believe that Notre Dame will be joining the Big 12 in all sports except football, but will transition into the league over the next 5 years with an agreement to play a predominately Big 12 schedule in football, perhaps 6 games.

Regul8er
    Wordd

It just sucks that WVU is stuck in the Conference that geographically makes no sense. They will lose all rivalries, and will have to travel like dogs. WVU fans that are happy about this are kidding themselves. I'm a WVU fan, and this is just a horrible move. It's really going to hurt going from the top basketball conference to about the 6th or 7th best.

And mtneer......NO Notre Dame will not be entering the Big 12......it will never happen, so dont get excited.

jakeloftin2186
    jakeloftin2186's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1188

Welcome to the longhorn conference WV you'll be sucking deloss Dodds Wang daily...what deloss wants he gets

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30330

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    It just sucks that WVU is stuck in the Conference that geographically makes no sense. They will lose all rivalries, and will have to travel like dogs. WVU fans that are happy about this are kidding themselves. I'm a WVU fan, and this is just a horrible move. It's really going to hurt going from the top basketball conference to about the 6th or 7th best.

And mtneer......NO Notre Dame will not be entering the Big 12......it will never happen, so dont get excited.
    Nobody cares about Basketball, it is only about Football, and the Big 12 is much better than the Big East.

Also, Big 12 basketball may end up being better than the Big East here soon if the Big East keeps losing everyone.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

wow, press conference canceled today! Guys in Louisville are saying we are stealing that spot... I know we bring the $$$...

msutter
    msutter's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 368

The Big 12 should grab Louisville & Boise St as well

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29054

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    wow, press conference canceled today! Guys in Louisville are saying we are stealing that spot... I know we bring the $$$...
    lmao the ville is the 3rd choice, they arent even the backup at this point

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

looks like the move is on hold for now

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ld-source-says

The Big 12 is waiting on Missouri formally to withdraw from the conference and that there has been some late "hard lobbying" by Louisville for Big 12 inclusion, the source told Schad.

West Virginia had been told that the Big 12 was willing to announce it would be adding the Mountaineers regardless of the timing of the departure announcement of Missouri, but for now at least, that has changed, the source said

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Quote Originally Posted by 5mike5 View Post
    lmao the ville is the 3rd choice, they arent even the backup at this point

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

First, Missouri has to announce that they are leaving the Big 12-3+1 and they may not do that unless they can get assurances from the SEC that they will be the 14th schools added to the conference. IF Missouri leaves the Big 12, then it makes sense for the Big 12 to take Louisville, West Virginia, and Cincinnati, IN THAT ORDER. Louisville has a stadium that holds 55,000, which is the same size or larger than 4 current Big 12 member's stadiums are. They are a lot closer geographically. They have a good hoops program. The football program needs work, but so do a lot of Big 12 schools. Bottom line. Where would you rather visit? Louisville or Morgantown?

If the Big 12-3+1 decides to stay at 10 (a huge mistake), then Louisville will be the 10th team. The problem with that is that there will be no Conference Championship game. I ask you, if you are a BCS Voter, and there are 3 undefeated 12-0 teams in the regular season, and then two of those teams jump to 13-0 by winning Conference Championship Games, who gets left out? One of the 13-0 teams or the odd man out, the 12-0 team?
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 10-26-11 at 04:44 PM.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    First, Missouri has to announce that they are leaving the Big 12-3+1 and they may not do that unless they can get assurances from the SEC that they will be the 14th schools added to the conference. IF Missouri leaves the Big 12, then it makes sense for the Big 12 to take Louisville, West Virginia, and Cincinnati, IN THAT ORDER. Louisville has a stadium that holds 55,000, which is the same size or larger than 4 current Big 12 member's stadiums are. They are a lot closer geographically. They have a good hoops program. The football program needs work, but so do a lot of Big 12 schools. Bottom line. Where would you rather visit? Louisville or Morgantown?

If the Big 12-3+1 decides to stay at 10 (a huge mistake), then Loisville will be the 10th team. The problem with that is that there will be no Conference Championship game. I ask you, if you are a BCS Voter, and there are 3 undefeated 12-0 teams in the regular season, and then two of those teams jump to 13-0 by winning Conference Championship Games, who gets left out? One of the 13-0 teams or the odd man out, the 12-0 team?
    good post, also if louisville joined big 12 right now, they'd be highest preseason ranked team in ncaa hoops this year as well as 3rd in revenue ... fit right in...

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

I also think that West Virginia's terrible academic ranking really hurts them. The ACC and SEC turned them down because of that.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

louisville had something like 21/25 sports teams make the postseason, they compete in all sports

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

It is all about money, and it is all about football. Nothing more, nothing less. Academics, basketball, whatever else - it is all irrelevant.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Very good post BigDaddy...you make great points and are exactly right. Since it's all about football money, Louisville is the logically choice to be the 10th member of the Big 12, if Mizzou leaves.

BigDan
    BigDan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by MUHerd37 View Post

big east tourny has been so good to me....always one of my fav events to watch as well..kinda sad..