FEAR THE 407
    FEAR THE 407's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 396

College football... rigged?

Before you ask, yes, I bet on West Virginia and Rutgers like the majority of the public.

No, I am not super angry I lost and making stupid threads as a result.

However, as I was watching the Rutgers game, how can the kicker who is supposed to be very good pull two easy field goals but bang the extra point which were basically the same distance.

A high-dollar bookie could call up his family knowing they have financial issues and ask them to tell their son to blow the field goals, and could guarantee $100,000 on their doorstep regardless of the outcome, and he could not tell anyone on his team and no one would know. Of course, this could be the case with any game, which is why no game is able to be 100%.

But these two games tonight make you really wonder.

ephi408
    ephi408's Avatar Become A Pro!

We never landed on the moon, either.

balls2wall
    balls2wall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6601

Didn't take long for the weekly "x game was rigged" thread when someone lost their bet!

CBBPhenom
    CBBPhenom's Avatar Become A Pro!

I tend to think line makers are that good. I believe line started at +2, meaning they were right on

rochestertitans
    betpoints ARE MY ONLY BANKROLL
    rochestertitans's Avatar Become A Pro!

just stop

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

Nope...not rigged!

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

The kicker has some control on a game, but not entire control. $100K is a lot for a bookie to guarantee, when his team could get 6 in the Red Zone every time. Missing multiple extra points would then be fishy!

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

it was an intimidating atmosphere in louisville and people miss 2 fgs all the time. definitely not an excuse for shanking those chip-shots but maybe a reason.

plus the coach probably made him extra nervous how that guy was acting.

numismatist
    Le roi est mort, vive le roi...
    numismatist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1369

Sure feels that way sometimes but....nope. I think shaving occurs but its extremely rare.

LovetoSpooge
    LovetoSpooge's Avatar Become A Pro!

The sad truth is there is a shady underbelly to alot of sports. Cricket it is just becoming uncovered, I have no doubt it has happened before in other sports and have no doubt it will happen again, there's just too much money involved for it it not to. Whether it happened tonight or not... probably not I know the refs in the WVU game were horrible but that's not really indicative of a fix.

That's why I like taking games of highly ranked teams competing for the BCS championship game or games like stanford where luck is going to be busting his ass to get the best performances possible for a future NFL career. when there's something bigger at stake than the books IMO could offer the result is usually the expected one.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Quote Originally Posted by numismatist View Post
    I think shaving occurs but its extremely rare.
    Occurs more than you think.

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

not saying it was rigged....but people are insane if they dont think it happens..........

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

very hard to identify but it happens

Elysee26
    Elysee26's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 646

If there is suspicion on the kicker what about the pass dropped on that last drive? He was only WIDE open. My ten year-old cousin could have caught that pass. My question is - and I'm serious - do they practice at Rutgers?

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

You have to remember you are dealing with kids, roughly 17-22, when betting on college. There are so many variables you could factor in but the list would be too long. Here are a few: classes, partying, girlfriend issues, road games on week night (out of norm), big heads, and a dozen other things that could affect their play.

Being a former D1 athlete, even though my sport (ice hockey) wasn't on the betting board until postseason play, I was close with the football team and from my knowledge college foots is not fixed.

Urbanwildlife
    Urbanwildlife's Avatar Become A Pro!

Has anyone heard of "having a bad game". No different than any of us on our job, when some days are better than others.

Coachep
    Coachep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1249

Quote Originally Posted by Elysee26 View Post
    If there is suspicion on the kicker what about the pass dropped on that last drive? He was only WIDE open. My ten year-old cousin could have caught that pass. My question is - and I'm serious - do they practice at Rutgers?
    Yeah, the receiver that dropped that pass is on the Biletnikoff watch list. Surely someone who could make that list could catch a ball that hits his hands in perfect stride...

dfish
    Sea Pines
    dfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 181

Quote Originally Posted by Elysee26 View Post
    That was the ballgame right there my friend.
    Well said.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Call me nuts if you want, do not care, I think some defenders tell the receivers stuff on the line of scrimmage.

Just saying.