brahmabull117
    brahmabull117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Why Is Notre Dame Favored by 9 Points???

I don't get it

I'm looking at what seems to be a near even matchup (maybe 3 points given to notre dame because of homefield advantage) and USC is getting 9 points in this game???

wtf???

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

What makes you think they are "even"? I will actually try and debate a game with you.

Arizona State rolled USC by 20+, and Arizona put up 41 on USC. Notre Dame's 2 losses can be explained pretty easily---turnovers. They dominated Michigan for 45 minutes before imploding, and they beat down Michigan State, crushed a Purdue team that lost 23-18 to Penn State, and they destroyed Air Force.

No one has stopped ND----except for themselves.

USC will be without Mark Tyler, and Dillon Baxter has taken a leave. USC is down to a 5'7 170 lb running back, whose own coach questioned whether he could actually finish a game.

USC is painfully thin on their OL-----and you can criticize ND for a lot of things this year---but they are physical. They beat up Michigan State.

Add to the fact, that ND has had 2 weeks to prepare----it is the first night game at ND since 1990-----

I think ND could very well win this game by 14-17 points. That wouldn't surprise me at all. The only reason I hesitate to play it is because the number is right in that "back door" neighborhood-----ND leading by 14 late----USC gets the ball with 2-3 mins left, and scores within the final minute to get the cover.

The number opened at 7.5---and is now at 8.5/9. Something is up.

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBlank View Post
    What makes you think they are "even"? I will actually try and debate a game with you. Arizona State rolled USC by 20+, and Arizona put up 41 on USC. Notre Dame's 2 losses can be explained pretty easily---turnovers. They dominated Michigan for 45 minutes before imploding, and they beat down Michigan State, crushed a Purdue team that lost 23-18 to Penn State, and they destroyed Air Force. No one has stopped ND----except for themselves. USC will be without Mark Tyler, and Dillon Baxter has taken a leave. USC is down to a 5'7 170 lb running back, whose own coach questioned whether he could actually finish a game. USC is painfully thin on their OL-----and you can criticize ND for a lot of things this year---but they are physical. They beat up Michigan State. Add to the fact, that ND has had 2 weeks to prepare----it is the first night game at ND since 1990----- I think ND could very well win this game by 14-17 points. That wouldn't surprise me at all. The only reason I hesitate to play it is because the number is right in that "back door" neighborhood-----ND leading by 14 late----USC gets the ball with 2-3 mins left, and scores within the final minute to get the cover. The number opened at 7.5---and is now at 8.5/9. Something is up.

1)Notre Dame has played a close game or lost SU to 3 of it's 4 decent opponents that it has played this year (USF, Pitt, Michigan, Mich St)

2)Notre Dame hasn't beaten USC by more than 7 points since about 1930. This is usually a tough close Rivalry game

3)USC's blowout against ASU was a bit of an anamoly - USC has only lost 3 games heading back to last season by more than 10 points

4)The running game is irrelevant because USC wins games by throwing the ball a bunch anyways

MartinBlank

Quote Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
    1)Notre Dame has played a close game or lost SU to 3 of it's 4 decent opponents that it has played this year (USF, Pitt, Michigan, Mich St)

2)Notre Dame hasn't beaten USC by more than 7 points since about 1930. This is usually a tough close Rivalry game

3)USC's blowout against ASU was a bit of an anamoly - USC has only lost 3 games heading back to last season by more than 10 points

4)The running game is irrelevant because USC wins games by throwing the ball a bunch anyways
    This is what drives me insane about your posts/threads. When you lock into a thought, you are incapable of seeing or understanding the other side.

You tell me that ND had 4 close games--but you have decided to ignore the fact that USC struggled against two awful teams----Minnesota and Arizona.

I have no idea why you would bet money on Lane Kiffin. This is not Pete Carroll's USC teams---

Kelly outcoached Kiffin so badly last year it wasn't even funny----he took a freshman QB in Rees and went into the LA Coliseum and beat USC-----and Kelly did it with a team that was missing 5 starters.

I really can't see USC winning this game, and I think they are going to struggle to keep it close.

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBlank View Post
    This is what drives me insane about your posts/threads. When you lock into a thought, you are incapable of seeing or understanding the other side. .

not true, I never said this was a stone cold lock. I'm still debating on what plays to make for the week actually

notre dame to me just doesn't seem like a team that can consistently blowout anybody. You say they beat themselves in the USF game, but they got outgained by 80 yards against MSU and only won by 17 because a lot of breaks went their way. They lost to michigan because of absolutely terrible secondary play and were lucky to win by 3 on the road against pittburg

the thing that scares me in this game is the defensive play for USC. Their secondary has been horrible recently. I think USC will score 20-30 points in this game but can they hold ND to less than 35 to lock up a close game at least. We'll see

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

ND is considered by bookmakers to be a top 15 team. USC is considered by them to be in the high 30s to low 40s.

turnovers are seemingly random so they are given little weight when looking at games as do records. it is possible that they get high enough it becomes a pattern. a turnover diff of -11 or so.

yards per play is a better predictor of points scored than actually points scored in a game.

antifoil
    Update your status

you also have to remove strength of schedule from the statistical data by normalizing the information. this allows you to see the information on a even playing field as if each team is playing an equal average opponent.

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by antifoil View Post
    ND is considered by bookmakers to be a top 15 team.

this is the part that baffles me

ND Hasn't played like a top 15 team in about a decade, why do they keep getting so much love from bookmakers??

antifoil
    Update your status

they are if you look at yard per play and yards per play allowed both offensively and defensively. again the score to previous games are not predictive to future scores because there are random factors in every game that can change the outcome. most of which is not predictable toward the future and not likely to occur in the future.

sandman0713
    sandman0713's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 679

usc and zona state was a really even matchup if you watched it...turnovers later in the game and it just kind of got away from usc. not saying they are the play here, but the zona state score is misleading imo if you didn't watch the entire game. that being said, no way would i bet against notre dame here...and no way i lay that many points in a game that always seems to be close. not even a consideration except maybe a total for me...and the total may be way low btw.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Brahma is a few thousand post in, and poster are still trying to talk handicapping with him?

I understand the randomness of TO's, and the importance of YPP... nevertheless the most important factor in this game is Lane Kiffin vs Brian Kelly. David and Goliath thinks this a mismatch of epic proportions.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

USC is not in any way, shape or form "even" with Notre Dame.

TroyGreen
    TroyGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Notre Dame fans which are everywhere will bet ND to cover on this one. 9 points is allot of points for a decent USC team with good speed. This is a game to take a look at IMO.

One poster brought up a good point about Tyler being out. The fact that Kiffin does not have a stable of backs in Los Angeles is a joke. Black Mamba did a smart thing by going to Oregon.

Demonata
    Demonata's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5354

Notre Dame is on a roll and after they beat Notre Dame they will be ranked in the top 25 again. No way this wont cover.

RED
    RED's Avatar Become A Pro!

this is the part that baffles me

ND Hasn't played like a top 15 team in about a decade, why do they keep getting so much love from bookmakers??
    Because they are a team that the public loves to play on

Ice House
    Ice House's Avatar Become A Pro!

I hate notre dame but i think they cover here.

MartinBlank

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Brahma is a few thousand post in, and poster are still trying to talk handicapping with him?

I understand the randomness of TO's, and the importance of YPP... nevertheless the most important factor in this game is Lane Kiffin vs Brian Kelly. David and Goliath thinks this a mismatch of epic proportions.
    This.

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

Lane Queefin is worth -9 points

MartinBlank

I need someone to explain to me how Kiffin got hired by Oakland, Tennessee, and USC.

And he's been horrible at all three places.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

Misinformation.

big0mar
    SINGLE-DECK BLACKJACK
    big0mar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3002

Brahma still doesn't understand market efficiency.

If someone is citing a historical SU or ATS spread record in their logic for taking a position, they most likely don't know what they are doing.