t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Northwestern +7.5

I see the Wildcats covering this number and having a really good shot at winning outright. A lot of people are down on them after losing to Army, but this is still a decent team in a Rivalry game. It's looking like quarterback Dan Persa will make his return in this game which would certainly be a huge boost for Northwestern. I have been pretty high on Illinois dating back to last year but I don't like them in this spot. This will be a close game all the way and getting 7.5 is easily the play.

gshock1
    gshock1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 750

Love the play. Persa should be back too.

t-wizzle

Sharps hitting Northwestern. Line is down to 6.5 already.

mstone897
    mstone897's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 534

I like Northwestern too. Persa being back is a big mental boost as well as talent wise. The military schools are tough to prepare for with only 1 week so I don't worry too much about the Army loss. (Look at USC-Navy)

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

was liking this too, but brock said he doesn't see illinois covering

t-wizzle

Looks like sharps are split on this one. Been moving back and forth from 6.5 to 7.5

tin8shusd
    tin8shusd's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is a game I'd prefer to watch but if my feet were held to the fire I'd take NW but only if the line is -7.5+

KittenMittens
    KittenMittens's Avatar Become A Pro!

My thoughts

Hey guys long time lurker, first time poster. Been having a great year picking college ball with the exception of week 2 so I thought id start posting.

I'm also a Chicago native, big ten alum, and I follow both teams closely. Here's my thoughts:

Northwestern hasn't been too great against the run. Illinois tore them apart last year on the ground, and they gave up almost 400 yards to army on the ground. Illinois is trying to run the ball a lot more in this new offense. However, they do get Jack Dinardo back at starting DT and a couple of second string guys. I'm not completely sold on the Illinois air attack, Scheelhaase takes good care of the ball and makes the plays he's gotta but he just doesn't go out there and take a game under control. Zook's also been playing both qb's, and last week had them rotating every other play, which was entirely ridiculous. I don't put too much faith in the Illini secondary, and really I believe the strength of their defense is the d-line. I think a healthy and mobile Persa could take that away and really cause some fits for that defense. Rivalry game or not, the crowd is never hostile in champaign so I wouldn't factor in home field advantage too much. I also would put a huge edge in coaching with Northwestern with Fitzgerald over Zook. I think NU will play tough after getting embarrassed last year at wrigley field, and with their leader back in Persa. I also think they'll play with a chip on their shoulder because of the loss last week, when the team really was looking to have a great year. I also don't think the Illini have looked really that good in any of their games, with the exception of beating an over ranked ASU team that had to travel across the country.

So if I were to take this game I'd pick Northwestern with the points.

BUT, the Illinois ground game scares me. I'm just not sold on NU's rush defense enough to bite on this game so it's a no play for me. (Might throw it in a 10pt teaser) Anyway, just my thoughts BOL to anyone who does play this one!!!!!!

t-wizzle

Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    Hey guys long time lurker, first time poster. Been having a great year picking college ball with the exception of week 2 so I thought id start posting. I'm also a Chicago native, big ten alum, and I follow both teams closely. Here's my thoughts: Northwestern hasn't been too great against the run. Illinois tore them apart last year on the ground, and they gave up almost 400 yards to army on the ground. Illinois is trying to run the ball a lot more in this new offense. However, they do get Jack Dinardo back at starting DT and a couple of second string guys. I'm not completely sold on the Illinois air attack, Scheelhaase takes good care of the ball and makes the plays he's gotta but he just doesn't go out there and take a game under control. Zook's also been playing both qb's, and last week had them rotating every other play, which was entirely ridiculous. I don't put too much faith in the Illini secondary, and really I believe the strength of their defense is the d-line. I think a healthy and mobile Persa could take that away and really cause some fits for that defense. Rivalry game or not, the crowd is never hostile in champaign so I wouldn't factor in home field advantage too much. I also would put a huge edge in coaching with Northwestern with Fitzgerald over Zook. I think NU will play tough after getting embarrassed last year at wrigley field, and with their leader back in Persa. I also think they'll play with a chip on their shoulder because of the loss last week, when the team really was looking to have a great year. I also don't think the Illini have looked really that good in any of their games, with the exception of beating an over ranked ASU team that had to travel across the country. So if I were to take this game I'd pick Northwestern with the points. BUT, the Illinois ground game scares me. I'm just not sold on NU's rush defense enough to bite on this game so it's a no play for me. (Might throw it in a 10pt teaser) Anyway, just my thoughts BOL to anyone who does play this one!!!!!!
    Thanks for the insight. Lot of good points.

I don't see how anyone can lay a td in this one. I think it comes down to the final minutes.

gshock1
    gshock1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 750

Line just moved to 8.5. Going to add another unit on NW

t-wizzle

This line is doing some really weird things but regardless, i like northwestern.

chiliv5
    chiliv5's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ill going to have too many horses in this one. N'western will have their 3 and out after run run incomplete pass. Ill escaped a good W. Mich team last week and lays the wood on the Wildcats.

I am on the Fighting Illini side saturday.... I don't play for much, so, if it is a loser good job to all of you on N'western.

GL

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    This line is doing some really weird things but regardless, i like northwestern.
    line is not doing weird things. it moves with the money.

Tanko
    Slow roll
    Tanko's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24738

Northwestern on this one.

t-wizzle

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    line is not doing weird things. it moves with the money.
    Thanks genius.

fastball00
    fastball00's Avatar Become A Pro!

One of the easier games I focused on this weekend to cap..

34-21 Illinois

t-wizzle

Looks like I made a bad bet here. Should have waited until the weekend but I thought the line would hold steady at 6.5 once it dropped. I still give Northwestern a good shot at pulling off the upset but this line moved to 10 for a reason.

t-wizzle

Northwestern in good shape. Persa looks really good in his return. I had a feeling this line movement didn't mean anything

t-wizzle

t-wizzle

Tough break here with Persa getting injured again.

t-wizzle

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS AWESOME!!!!!

No league/sport compares. Amazing

t-wizzle

Amazing. Illinois couldn't be stopped that second half. Northwestern scores what would be the winning td with a minute to go and the Illini go right down the field and win the game. I'll take the cover but really wanted that ML win