grind4moneyz
    grind4moneyz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 993

Thoughts on Cincinnati vs. Tennessee

Cincinnati vs. Tennessee game. Let's get a discussion going on this game.

What's your thoughts and predictions for this game?

utmoody10
    utmoody10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 725

Big Tennessee fan here. This game has me a little worried because it is the type of game the Vols have lost in previous seasons (see UCLA games in 2008 & 2009). This has the potential to be a high scoring affair with 2 above average offense facing some questionable D's. Tennessee usually struggles with mobile QBs and Collaros has the ability to escape the pocket. Tyler Bray looked very sharp albeit against Montana. The running game is going to take some time to gel since 4 starting offensive lineman are Soph.

Justin Hunter and Da'Rick Rogers will prove to be a matchup nightmare for DBs as far as size differential all year and I look for the UT offense to put up 30 points. The D is green in areas in which they start 2 true freshman outside linebackers and a true freshman cornerback. With the total sitting at 53, this has a possibility to go over.

grind4moneyz

I did mean to put the Total 53 in the OP.

Tennessee also plays at Florida the week following this game. Any chance they over look a very solid Cincy team here?

As far as the D goes, I think both teams strengths is on the D-Line. Tennesee starts 3 so, but they already have a lot of experience and plenty of talent.
    Last edited by grind4moneyz; 09-06-11 at 09:15 AM.

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

UT isn't good enough to overlook anybody. This game should sail over the total.

grind4moneyz

I agree UT isn't good enough that they should overlook anybody, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. With a trip to Florida next week they may not take this Cincy team as serious as they should. Cincy should contend for the Big East title, whatever that might mean .

I like the over also with these 2 teams also, but wanted to get some thoughts on the spread.

jarvol

I wouldn't lay points with UT against anybody not named Kentucky or Vandy.

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

In what world does TENN have an above average Offense? Because they have some returning? They haven't shown anything.

I have TENN -6.5 as it was on the verge of going 7, and

-SEC @ home vs. a Big East team that was 1-4 ATS on the road last year and 4-8 SU overall. Show the country you're not the same team by covering 6.5 in Rocky Top. Go for it
    -TENN returns 7 on D including entire secondary to combat Cincy's pass prone Offense that returns SR QB Collaros and SR WR Woods
    -TENN returns 7 on O including SR QB Simms, SR RB Poole, and 4/5 OL. Tenn wont blaze them with a 75th Total O against 11 returning on D for Cincy, but should do enough to control game and secure a comfortable win with superior talent.

utmoody10
    utmoody10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 725

Tennessee's entire secondary doesnt return. Janzen Jackson was kicked off the team a few weeks ago and was their best player in the secondary. Also Matt Simms does return but he wont see the field unless Tyler Bray gets hurt or the game is in hand in the 4th quarter.

Cincy struggled against the pass last year ranking 88th in pass D while UT ranked 30th in passing offense. If Tennessee is able to control the line of scrimmage I can see them winning by a few scores but I think both offenses will be pass heavy leading to a higher total.

jarvol

Quote Originally Posted by Sunde91 View Post
    In what world does TENN have an above average Offense? Because they have some returning? They haven't shown anything.

I have TENN -6.5 as it was on the verge of going 7, and

-SEC @ home vs. a Big East team that was 1-4 ATS on the road last year and 4-8 SU overall. Show the country you're not the same team by covering 6.5 in Rocky Top. Go for it
    -TENN returns 7 on D including entire secondary to combat Cincy's pass prone Offense that returns SR QB Collaros and SR WR Woods
    -TENN returns 7 on O including SR QB Simms, SR RB Poole, and 4/5 OL. Tenn wont blaze them with a 75th Total O against 11 returning on D for Cincy, but should do enough to control game and secure a comfortable win with superior talent.
    Nice writeup......completely untrue but nice.

grind4moneyz

I do expect Cincy's pass D to be much improved this year.

They get Dominique Battle back this year after being injured in the first few games last year. They return all their Secondary Players. They also added a Juco Safety(Murray) that should help improve the secondary.

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

Big East has looked very good so far. UT is in shambles right now but Butch Jones is a joke. Collaros and Co. will still pile the points on though IMO

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

dropped to 6 after moving 7, making me the goat

TENN has no business being content with anyone and hopefully shows up. Cincy still hasnt shown anything to be considered "solid"

grind4moneyz

Quote Originally Posted by Sunde91 View Post
    dropped to 6 after moving 7, making me the goat

TENN has no business being content with anyone and hopefully shows up. Cincy still hasnt shown anything to be considered "solid"
    This time of year your almost always going off predictions.

Cincy returns plenty of talent on Offense including Collaros, Woods, Pead, etc... They gained a lot of experience on D and return 10 starters. There weakness was their secondary last year but Battle was injured early. Having him back, plus the experience should make this unit much improved.

I think they are "solid".

They should be one of the better teams in the Big East this year.