wal66
    wal66's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wal's 2011 College Football Thread

I do this every year for all listed games each week in college football. Sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn’t but I see no reason to not continue offering it to the boards.

I don’t use this information the first couple of weeks of the season because the teams need to establish themselves before true power ranking can take hold.

Listed below are the games and the adjusted line for each. When I personally start using this I have an additional factor that goes into the equation and require at least a 3-point edge to qualify.

North Texas
    Florida International -6

Wake Forrest -2
    Syracuse

Mississippi State -21
    Memphis

UNLV
    Wisconsin -22

Bowling Green
    Idaho -1

Kentucky -21
    Western Kentucky

TCU -20
    Baylor

Northwestern
    Boston College -6.5

Miami Ohio
    Missouri -22

Akron
    Ohio State -38

Middle Tenn St
    Purdue -6.5

Kent St
    Alabama -34

Minnesota
    USC -19

LA Monroe
    FSU -28

South Florida
    Notre Dame -2.5

Western Michigan
    Michigan -9.5

Troy
    Clemson -10.5

UCLA -3.5
    Houston

BYU -4
    Ole Miss

San Jose St
    Stanford -29

Colorado St -3.5
    New Mexico

Buffalo
    Pittsburgh -24

Fresno St
    California -10.5

Florida Atlantic
    Florida -32

Ball St
    Indiana -5.5

LA Lafayette
    Oklahoma St -27

Rice
    Texas -24

Army
    Northern Illinois -7.5

East Carolina
    South Carolina -10.5

Boise St -8
    Georgia

Oregon -2
    LSU

Ohio -11
    New Mexico St

Tulsa
    Oklahoma -16.5

LA Tech
    Southern Miss -5

Colorado
    Hawaii -1

Marshall
    West Virginia -18.5

SMU
    Texas A&M -12.5

Miami -5
    Maryland

accuscoresucks
    accuscoresucks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

nice info

gshock1
    gshock1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 750

I likes your thread last year and am glad this is back!

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0
    HoldEmHook!!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

Wal my friend, How have you been, How ya been hitting them

wal66

Quote Originally Posted by HoldEmHook!! View Post
    Wal my friend, How have you been, How ya been hitting them
    Sup. Holdem.

Man my game is so up and down right now it's scary. I am playing 2/3 of a round like I did before my knees got so bad but still struggling about 1/3 really bad.

Looking forward to some college football though. Not as stoked as in years past but maybe that is a good thing betting wise.

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0

Quote Originally Posted by wal66 View Post
    Sup. Holdem.

Man my game is so up and down right now it's scary. I am playing 2/3 of a round like I did before my knees got so bad but still struggling about 1/3 really bad.

Looking forward to some college football though. Not as stoked as in years past but maybe that is a good thing betting wise.
    Seems that in years past when I am anxious about betting football I dont do as well. but when all is calm it seems I fair the best

xyzky
    xyzky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Wal66:

These numbers strictly off of PR's?

wal66

These are the rest of the opening weekend games with lines. Again these are adjusted lines and while they are partially from my program no games are full program adjusted lines until week #3.

Murray St
    Louisville -29

Villanova -5.5
    Temple

South Carolina St
    Central Michigan -12.5

New Hampshire -4
    Toledo

Fordham
    UConn -30.5

Western Carolina
    Georgia Tech -30

North Carolina Central
    Rutgers -42

Montana St
    Utah -24

UC Davis
    Arizona St -25

Youngstown St
    Michigan St -23.5

Indiana St
    Penn St -39.5

Appalachian St
    Virginia Tech -18

South Dakota
    Air Force -27.5

James Maddison
    North Carolina -28.5

Chattanooga
    Nebraska -28.5

Arkansas St
    Illinois -13

Delaware
    Navy -8

Southeastern Louisiana
    Tulane -10.5

Sacramento St
    Oregon St -25.5

San Jose St
    Stanford -29

Idaho St
    Washington -22

Liberty
    NC State -21

William & Marry
    Virginia -2.5

Montana
    Tennessee -11.5

Missouri St
    Arkansas -31.5

Richmond
    Duke EVEN

LA Lafayette
    Oklahoma St -27

Eastern Washington
    Washington -9.5

Charleston Southern
    South Florida -32

Howard
    Eastern Michigan -24

Mcneese St
    Kansas -13.5

Eastern Kentucky
    Kansas St -21.5

Elon
    Vanderbilt -4.5

Cal Poly
    San Diego St -12.5

wal66

Quote Originally Posted by xyzky View Post
    Wal66:

These numbers strictly off of PR's?
    These number are. I use PR's as a base for my program and then I have some other factors to mix in but I need some games to be played and preferably conference play before I add my mix.

Strictly a parameter this early in the season because those rankings have no real validity to them.

You will see my program plays start off a little slow and then really pick up in week's 4-9 then start to slow down again due to injuries and such.

xyzky
    xyzky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

I think I remeber from last year. Good stuff and good luck this year.

wal66

The countdown is in the final phase and we are just a couple days away from getting to what many of us love watching as much or even more than wagering on. I have 5 games on tap for this opening week. I am not betting them heavy or even a full unit because until teams have some games under their belt no-one has anything more than speculation and expectations for these squads.

Week #1 Plays:

Kentucky -19.5
    South Florida +10
    Indiana -7
    Boise State -3
    LSU +2

Just playing these for $30 each just to get my toes wet.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

GL. Not real sure about the LSU wager. A pass for me.

wal66

QH, to be honest with you all 5 of these plays are worthy of being unsure of. Who knows what anyone is truly capable of the first week.

Take the Boise/Georgia game. Boise is always one of the best prepared teams in the country and often overlooked because of where they are from and basically the caliber of players they get there. Georgia enters the season with really high expectations and no question they have serious athletes but how well prepared are they, how cohesive a unit will they be?

The Oregon/LSU game has those components as well as the suspension of notable players. Lee will fill in at Qurterback and with that I think the Tigers are actually more of a threat. I'm not sold on LSU living up to the hype over the course of the season but kind of like them in the opening game.

I don't ever try to sell anyone on any of my plays and I am more than honest when I say I don't ever ask anyone to follow me and that goes especially the first 2 to 3 weeks of the season.

wal66

A little reasoning for the plays.

I have no real reasoning to support the Indiana play it just kind of stood out.

Kentucky while still a Kentucky team should be a little improved on defense and still athletic on offense and getting an opportunity to run up some points will probably do just that to set the tone for the crowd.

South Florida is as athletic of a team as any in the country. The depth is not that of some schools and they do make some mental mistakes that have hurt their cause but with the talent they have if they can play under control and DISCIPLINED assignment football they will be a force. There is a lot of hype and expectation surrounding Notre Dame and they may infact be better but I see USF hanging with them and causing them some problems on both sides of the ball. Notre Dame may win this game but I wouldn't be shocked if Holtz and the Bulls pulled off the upset. I feel comfortable with the points available.

Plenty of talk about how Georgia will be playing to save the coaches job. Maybe there is something to that maybe there isn't. There is no denying they are loaded with potential talent. Everyone says Boise doesn't play anyone, they don't play in a real conference blah blah blah. All that may be true but one thing is for sure, when Boise does play they are prepared for their opponent. They also have some very real and often under appreciated talent on their roster and that roster runs deep with depth. You give me a spot with a quality opponent on tap and an even more quality opponent on deck like South Carolina next week and I'll take my chances for a look ahead spot even in week 1.

Both Oregon and LSU have off the field issues that will result in on the field suspensions for the opening game. I don't think this hurts the Tigers and in fact may very well be a blessing in disguise as Lee is a much better passer and maybe a more controlled player than Jefferson. Oregon is fast no doubt but fast in the their conference and fast in the SEC is a little different regardless if you are an SEC fan or not. LSU has a better defense than did Auburn and that will be as big a difference maker than anything in this game from where I sit. The 2 points won't be an issue cause LSU wins straight up.

jwbama23
    LSUCKS
    jwbama23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

Wal, good luck buddy. Definitley one of the more stand up posters here

wal66

Much appreciated Bama. Let's have a great season and since I doubt my Gator's will meet your Tide in the SEC Championship I hope you won't hold my South Carolina future against me.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Good luck Wall. You are one of the best college football cappers here.

AdaBarber
    Guess who's back......
    AdaBarber's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 137

What's up Wal? Let's be disciplined and make some dough. I finished on the plus side last year. And Green Bay bailed me out in the NFL. Best of luck to you my brother.

Mississippi St-28.5
    W. Michigan+14
    Colorado+7

wal66

Week #1 Plays:

Kentucky -19.5 LOSER
    South Florida +10 WINNER
    Indiana -7 LOSER
    Boise State -3 WINNER
    LSU +2 WINNER

Just playing these for $30 each just to get my toes wet.
    Mixed emotions. I mean it's a winning opening card but without sounding like a complete asshole I'm not happy with anything less than 4-1 any given week. There was heavy reverse line movement in both the Kentucky and Indiana game that told us before kickoff that these were most likely losers.

My card will always be done early in the week but I may hold off till later in the week to post just to monitor line movement. It cost me several times last year as well.
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 07-15-15 at 04:05 PM. Reason: image does not exist

AdaBarber
    Guess who's back......

Look at the bright side. You profited. I had W. Kentucky with 17 points. I played USF. I wanted to take Boise and LSU but I didn't have the balls to go with those big games in the first week of the season. I went 4-2. Do you just play only 5 games a week? All my picks are based off of line movement, but I also figure in the percentages bet in the amount of tickets that were bet on that game on each team that causes that line movement.

AdaBarber
    Guess who's back......

And my plays are picked and posted by Tuesday. Sometimes I will add some more later because I do miss some games and sometimes there isn't a large amount of tickets betted on that game to help me justify the movement. If you need some info inbox me or post it in my thread.

AdaBarber
    Guess who's back......

If I were to take the A&M game I would take the points but the line is 15.5 and my cutoff is 16. To close for me to touch. Wish you well Wall!

wal66

Ada, the number of games vary. The first couple weeks of the season it's strictly old school capping then once the teams have a few games under their belt I have a program I have used for several years now and the number of games is based on the number of qualifiers.

Keeping with this theme I bet ultra light the first couple of weeks and then wager a little more once I am on the program but I ALWAYS wager equal amounts. I don't value one play more or less than another. I never understood that way of thinking. If I am going to risk money then I want to spread it around evenly. With the exception of Money Line dogs that is. I will bet them smaller since they obviously don't have the same edge as the points.

wal66

Wow!

Just ran the numbers for this weeks games and I don't feel good about what I am seeing. Looks like I will be favorite heavy and I never like it when I don't see some obvious dogs in some very good spots.

Michigan opening as a dog at home looks tasty but having a hard time deciding if it's not too easy looking. I watched the USF/Notre Dame game and the Irish moved the ball fairly easy just made really bad mistakes. I didn't see Michigan's game but I know they scored 2 touchdowns off turnovers so that doesn't tell me a lot about their offense.

I watched the majority of both South Carolina's game and Georgia's game and South Carolina cruised on offense once Garcia entered the game but the defense gave up more points than any backer should be comfortable with. Georgia was simply outplayed and out coached but they do have talented players on both sides of the ball.

Georgia and Notre Dame are 2 dog's I could make an argument for but the problem is my initial feeling even before this past week's results was they would both lose this week.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

gl this week wal. im leaning to the irish myself. nd had a 14 point swing go against them, a kicker who couldnt make chip shots, -5 to margin, doubled usf in yards, basically played as awful as humanly possible, almost caused a brian kelly heart attack. michigan on the other hand had a 14 point swing in their favor, let a pass happy offense go up and down the field on them in a bad weather game, and was even in yardage against western michigan, a worse team then usf. georgia on the other hand, im not sure if they were beaten by a better squad, poorly coached, underachieving, maybe all of the above. south carolina did give up boatloads of points last time out. probably a pass for me in that one.

wal66

We could argue the Boise being the better team from here to eternity. I'm not a bandwagoner for them nor am I even a fan but I do appreciate what that team, those players past and present and the coaching staff have done there. I am NOT a fan of the soft schedule they play but be that as it may in big games they come to play.

Maybe a portion of that especially against Oklahoma a couple years ago is underestimation but even if that is the case there is no denying those guys line up and punch you right in the throat.

Georgia has problems. They have talented players and have for years but they are constant underachiever and that blame has to fall on the shoulders of the coach. Sure the coach doesn't jump offside or fumble the ball or over-throw receivers or drop passes but he and his staff are in charged with preparation.

Feel's good to be talking football for a change. Damn I miss this. The entire baseball season I had nothing to talk about.

wal66

This should be the last week where I am playing games based on what I THINK I know about the sport. Hopefully next week I will be able to use my program to aide in eliminating certain games and targeting the best edge.

Central Michigan +12.5
    I didn’t watch a single highlight of Central Michigan but I watched just about all of the Kentucky game. There is some talent on the Kentucky team but they sure didn’t look together or prepared against Western Kentucky. Credit Western Kentucky for playing tough though. I’m not sure Kentucky should be a double digit favorite over many schools at this point. The potential is there but not sure it’s ready.

Stanford -21
    No need to try and explain anything here as if it doesn’t cover it only makes me look really bad.

TCU -2.5
    I know they lost their opener to Baylor but credit Baylor, they are a very good team with maybe one of the most dynamic quarterbacks we’ll see this season. TCU still has plenty of talent and they play hard. I expect them to get things clicking and still be a very good squad themselves. I don’t know enough about Air Force and I am a little puzzled by this line but gonna go with my gut and take TCU here.

California -6.5
    I am taking a leap of faith on this game. Colorado didn’t look very impressive against Hawaii but how much of that is because it was played in paradise and more than a few teams get caught up in where they are instead of who they are playing.

South Carolina -2.5
    Personally I have a lot on the line in this game. I predicted Georgia would start 0-2 and I’m halfway home after Boise did what I thought they would do this past Saturday. My problem is that South Carolina gave up a lot of points to East Carolina. Yes the Pirates can score in their conference but I thought South Carolina’s defense would be a little better than what I saw. The offense looked as good as expected once Garcia came into the game and look to see more of the same there.

It’s never easy to play on the road in the SEC and some places are tougher than others, between the hedges are one of those places. Spurrier really dislikes Georgia and hopefully that and a team loaded with talent will be enough to get this game and cover this line.

Vanderbilt +1
    No reason just a hunch.

Same as last week, just playing all these small at $30 each.

wal66

These aren’t plays just opinions. I may actually play some as the week progresses but for now they are just my opinion and will hopefully generate a little dialog.

Florida International +4
    Iowa -6.5
    Florida Atlantic +32
    Mississippi St -7
    North Carolina -10.5
    NC State -2.5
    Tennessee -7
    Hawaii +6.5
    Alabama -10
    Virginia -6.5
    Western Kentucky +9.5
    Utah +9
    Central Florida -7

miketp223
    miketp223's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm with you on FIU, WKU, and UCF. I think UCF will win the CUSA. In an ACC game I'm going with the home team. Wake Forest actually impressed me last week. I see them being optimistic about the Cuse loss and coming home for their opener and winning.

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0

Wal, I too am on FIU, BAMA, MISS ST, Hawaii, CAL, The best of luck to you my friend

wal66

Thanks guys but, the second list is merely opinions. My only official plays as of now are the writeup and bold plays.

Be that as it may here's to all of us having a great weekend.

22dsnyd22
    22dsnyd22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 817

Virginia -6.5 is a good one to pound

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by wal66 View Post
    This should be the last week where I am playing games based on what I THINK I know about the sport. Hopefully next week I will be able to use my program to aide in eliminating certain games and targeting the best edge.

Central Michigan +12.5
    I didn’t watch a single highlight of Central Michigan but I watched just about all of the Kentucky game. There is some talent on the Kentucky team but they sure didn’t look together or prepared against Western Kentucky. Credit Western Kentucky for playing tough though. I’m not sure Kentucky should be a double digit favorite over many schools at this point. The potential is there but not sure it’s ready.

Stanford -21
    No need to try and explain anything here as if it doesn’t cover it only makes me look really bad.

TCU -2.5
    I know they lost their opener to Baylor but credit Baylor, they are a very good team with maybe one of the most dynamic quarterbacks we’ll see this season. TCU still has plenty of talent and they play hard. I expect them to get things clicking and still be a very good squad themselves. I don’t know enough about Air Force and I am a little puzzled by this line but gonna go with my gut and take TCU here.

California -6.5
    I am taking a leap of faith on this game. Colorado didn’t look very impressive against Hawaii but how much of that is because it was played in paradise and more than a few teams get caught up in where they are instead of who they are playing.

South Carolina -2.5
    Personally I have a lot on the line in this game. I predicted Georgia would start 0-2 and I’m halfway home after Boise did what I thought they would do this past Saturday. My problem is that South Carolina gave up a lot of points to East Carolina. Yes the Pirates can score in their conference but I thought South Carolina’s defense would be a little better than what I saw. The offense looked as good as expected once Garcia came into the game and look to see more of the same there.

It’s never easy to play on the road in the SEC and some places are tougher than others, between the hedges are one of those places. Spurrier really dislikes Georgia and hopefully that and a team loaded with talent will be enough to get this game and cover this line.

Vanderbilt +1
    No reason just a hunch.

Same as last week, just playing all these small at $30 each.
    Good luck Wal! I used 4 of your picks on BTP. I'd would give you 50% of the points I win.

iwantcougars
    iwantcougars's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 679

hey wal, are you posting all your system lines for week 2??

wal66

Quote Originally Posted by iwantcougars View Post
    hey wal, are you posting all your system lines for week 2??
    IWant, the adjusted lines I posted in Week #1 were not my program lines they were straight from Sargin's. I didn't post that this week cause I don't want to 2 confused.

Week #3 is when I start using my program to generate lines and will post them late Sunday evening's or Monday mornings the rest of the season.

1234 Last