Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

Do you think University is a scam/not worth it?

Specifically interested in hearing thoughts of either graduates who believe it was unbeneficial, or people who did not go who feel they made a mistake not going.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have multiple friends that Graduated from 4 years.

The only ones that have jobs for what they went to school for are the teachers. Half of them have BS jobs while they are sitting back looking at their student loans of 60K, wondering how the fukk they'll ever pay that down.

Quite a few friends went into Union work instead of going to college. They are doing fine, laid off from time to time, but they don't have huge school loans to pay off, and make a decent buck doing their trade, so they can live fine if they are off for a month or so (which normally just do side jobs)

If you work hard enough, I'm sure school will pay off, if you're trying to get into the right kind of work.

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

It's worth going, since most good to high paying jobs require a college degree. Is it necessary? well that's the question. Most 4 year degrees can be completed in 2 years if they eliminate the unnecessary classes. A good amount of people also end up getting jobs unrelated to their college degree.

TobiasFunke
    Never Nude
    TobiasFunke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 46

It certainly depends on the field of study, but in this economy, and the way student loans are handed out like candy, I would argue that a college degree for many students is -EV

rsnnh12
    rsnnh12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

Depends on your major. Accounting, anything medical, etc, yes it is worth it. English, art, literature, not so much.

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

The next bubble to burst...

We don't produce anything, what could they possibly teach you that would help???

Pete0
    --------------------
    Pete0's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Universities are overpriced. $ is the huge issue. If you're paying full price you're due to lose your shirt eventually.
    And think twice before raking up a 100k loan in an elite school and partying every other night.

Try and get as much Scholarship $, take honor classes (special scholarships ) - Talk to financial advisors for other possibilities to save $.

Also,
    Depends on what your major / interests are.

For example - you can take all kinds of music/art classes in hopes of becoming a musician/artist one day and graduate but you'd still have to come up with your own shit in the real world and compete.

So with the right choices it can definitely enrich your life and Bottomline you WILL have fun in college Good luck.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

try finding a decent paying job without a college degree, well i guess someone has to dig ditches

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

My undergrad at a 4 year university was paid in full through my scholarship and I still say it was the biggest crock of shit ever. Don't get me wrong, some fields such as accountants, laywers, doctors, etc. have to attend university but for most its a waste of time IMO. Since I already had my undergrad and had a lot of free time playing in the minors, I decided to obtain my MBA, which wasn't free and I'll be paying it back for years to come; haven't determined if that was a bad move yet, only time will tell. If I wouldn't have went for the undergrad obviously I wouldn't have gone ahead with the MBA but like I said, I had a lot of free time in the minors.

If you aren't in one of the fields I mentioned above or one that essentially needs a 4 year degree, I would advise to just start working. The economy sucks and has shown no signs that it is rebounding so why bury yourself in student loan debt when the guarantee of a position is not there with schooling. Its a fkn crap shoot IMO, either way who knows in this economy, best of luck in what you decide.

Thunder Gulch
    Thunder Gulch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Go look at the stats for lifetime earnings of a college grad vs that of a HS grad. Its a bargain.

That said, unless you are in some professional services (law, accounting, med) you probably won't have a job in the exact same field you study. However, its still worth it.

And besides, making new friends, hanging with girls, going to games....no question about it.

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

Of course it is worth it as long as you get a useful degree in engineering, nursing/medicine, accounting, etc.

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3703

Like everyone else said... it depends on your field of study. I always liked this quote from the movie Goodwill Hunting:

"You dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a fukkin education you coulda got for a dollah fifty in late chahges at the public library."

daneault23
    daneault23's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4955

Currently getting BS in Mathematics-Emphasis in Statistics. Hoping to work for a sports team doing stats for them or for the city where I live, but really only interested in sports stats. First year of college, didn't bother with financial aid and then got it for 3 straight years and probably not getting it this year. If I paid every year for college, I would be pissed because honestly we have to take a bunch of BS classes that no one gives a flying fukk about. Hopefully by the time I graduate (1-2 more years) I can find a good job, but yeah I feel college is kinda shitty. We have less days of school cuz of furloughs, however we pay more each fuckn semester and administrators at the schools get more money

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

I went to college for a specific purpose and have a job in that field. Couldn't have gotten my job, or one comparable without college. It worked in my case, and I have very little student loan obligations.

Paid for my own education.

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

It all depends on YOU. It depends on what you study, what your grades are, how much effort you put into it. You got to study something worth while, a college degree in something like gender studies, english, or sociologically is going to be tough to find a job. Only have a bare minimal 2.0 GPA when your major is Finance and Accounting its going to be tough to find a job although you will still find one, but it will be a low paying job in a small-small business.

College is great but not everyone needs to go to college, college isn't for everyone. Everyone could go to college if they wanted to put in the work, but some people are just not that eager to improve themselves.

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

University is a MUST.

You'll have amazing sex experiences!

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

How smart and motivated are you? If you are both, you can do well without a degree.

If you are as dumb as some of the clowns that hang out in the "Think" Tank, you'll need a degree to get ahead. Shoot for a degree in some sort of info technology area. If you can't hack the math, then point at sales, as you don't really need a degree for that (MBAs are a joke)

When picking a school, go for the cheapest that will get you a diploma. That means a state school, i.e. no private schools.

If you can't do any of these things, then try flipping burgers and work your way up.

On the other hand, the three biggest job categories here in Tijuana Norte (San Diego) are drug dealing, hauling illegals across the boarder, and robbing banks. Posting at SBR has set you up admirably to do well in any of these high paying areas.

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5614

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    University is a MUST.

You'll have amazing sex experiences!
    I think that about sums it up.

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

if you're going for something in the medical field, might wanna try to shoot high

Anything job nursing or lower is a very competitive. Bodies are shipped in from India and the Philippines that are willing to work any shifts with long hours and shit pay. It's not about patient care anyplace you go. Churn and charge.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm a grad from the University of British Columbia in engineering. Between completing a degree that increased my earning power, playing varsity sports, and joining The Greek system, I feel like I got the most out of my time at school and don't regret the choice for a second. (Not to mention, university is where I picked up the stats and data management skills that I use daily for handicapping)

However, on the flip side, it's obvious when you look around any classroom at any school that a good number of the people there don't have a gameplan, are too immature to really appreciate the opportunity they have, and would almost definitely be better off either working for a few years before attending or not going to school at all.

"University Education" is a very broad term.

ouman101
    ouman101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 749

I graduated from a 4 year college and got my Bachelor's. It has definitely paid off for me and I had little loans once I got out of college because I worked to pay them down while I was going through school. Its hard to say whether it will pay off for you or not. I got lucky and got a good job straight after graduating. On the other hand, I had plenty of friends who graduated and it still took them up to a year after graduating to find a job. So I think every persons situation is going to be different. Plus, it depends what field you are looking to go into.

ouman101
    ouman101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 749

Plus, the social aspect of College is worth the price of tuition in and of itself. Its the people that can find a balance between the social perks and actually making it to class that get the most out of it.

mwgriffin
    mwgriffin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

I have my BS business degree - and that is what it is. My recommendation - go to school for a specialized degree, learn how to fix medical equipment, xray tech, etc. or start a business and work for yourself. Do not get a general degree. Get a degree like engineering, teaching, social work, etc. The students loans are not worth it and a 4 year degree is too common. There are plenty of business degree holders in unemployment. At least if you have a business, you will get beneficial experience. I knew how to pass a test out of college - not much else. Take a few accounting classes when starting your business so you understand the basics and money management. I would have learned more that way. You need to experience to relate to. I would have learned a lot more if I ran a business for 5 years then went to college. You need something to relate to.

Also, it does not matter what business you go into. Join a civic organization like Rotary, volunteer, meet and greet the locals, attend chamber of commerce functions, and stay in the public eye for growing your customer base.

Good luck.

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

everyone has a degree nowadays

its the norm so not having one sets you behind everyone else

but sounds like you have your mind already made up, asking to here specifically from people that have had a bad experience

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

You do not learn much but if you are not going to be your own boss financially well worth it.

Vegas_bond
    Vegas_bond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10099

The most fascinating career -Gambling- demands Computer and Mathematical skills from you, which only can be learned in Campus.

MarlinsFan2212
    MarlinsFan2212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Unless you have a specific skill or trade you have mastered, most companies wont even give you the time of day without a degree.

Plus if you go to college is a great opportunity to expand your social circle, and meet hundreds to thousands of beautiful women.

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273617

easily worth it if you go to your state university (work part time through college and pay of it or most of it) and then a good grad school being paid with a stipend to go..dont go to some overprices small special liberal arts school...dont get loans for college pay for it.

jcubs55
    Jon Bones Jones -185
    jcubs55's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 126

forloveofthegame
    forloveofthegame's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 595

yes but it all depends on the school. If you cant get into a top school with majors like art english etc. or get into a pretty good school for more worthy degrees engineering medical etc.. then dont bother going! an english degree from a cheap state school is just a joke its so worthless.

toga toga
    toga toga's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8347

I work in finance and could never hire someone without a degree. I have never had a manager or subordinate without a degree. As someone said - no degree puts you at a disadvantage in most fields.
    Go to school - most people with degrees get paid slot more than those without. You might not see the difference in pay right away but in ten years you will.

Salmon Steak
    Salmon Steak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 613

f*** school, go do something that makes a lot of money. Go be an actor, rock star or athlete. College was a huge pain in the a**, although I did get a decent job I have no passion for. Live the dream man, go for it. All college will get you is a halfway decent job (if you even make it through) and maybe a STD.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Yea its worth it.....unless you wanna be a union worker or something which isnt bad

I have some student loans (Not bad, had a half scholarship) but the job I have now, and the path I'm on would never happen if not for college

The memories I had going to games, playing all the intramural sports, the girls, living in the student apartment complexes, the crazy shit that went on and friends I made at South Carolina are priceless and I wouldn't take it back for anything

Go to a fun college with good sports that is pretty good with academics and you wont regret it

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas_bond View Post
    The most fascinating career -Gambling- demands Computer and Mathematical skills from you, which only can be learned in Campus.
    Gonna have to disagree with you there. But different strokes [you know the rest]

I used to be a teacher's assistant, for a few programming courses. You dont need to go to college to learn how to program.Much less to learn how to program, with respect to sports betting and related topics

Extra Innings
    Extra Innings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

Depends if what you want to do requires a degree. If it does, get at least a 4 year degree in something relevant. Carefully consider the cost vs. benefit of further education.

12 Last