bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

ACC breakdown

it's still a little too early to make any solid predictions. heres a nice write i found today on the ACC.

off the surface though, i do like Southern Miss.

The complexion of the ACC has certainly taken on a whole new look since the inclusion of Boston College, Miami Florida and Virginia Tech from the BIG EAST. Without steroids, the conference has more muscle and is deeper than ever.

Here is my take on the ACC for 2006.

BOSTON COLLEGE

The Eagles were certainly one of our favorite teams in 2005 as they earned their keep the old fashioned way when they outgained all but one opponent en route to a 9-3 campaign (8-4 ATS). As a result Tom O’Brien’s troops have now won seven or more games seven straight seasons. He’s also the only coach in the nation to win a bowl game each of the last six years. Best of all these accomplishments came at the expense of the ACC as Boston College’s debut into the conference was a smashing success. The Eagles will field a Junior- dominated team in 2006, guided by returning starting quarterback Matt Ryan. They should soar again.

PLAY ON: as dog vs. Florida State (10/21)

CLEMSON

In football zoology, the Tigers appear loaded for bear as Clemson returns its entire offensive line in 2006. That’s notable given the fact the previous four teams Clemson teams that did so were a combine 39-9, including the 12-0 1981 National Championship squad. In addition, Tommy Bowden welcomes seven starters back on defense, including his best two players (DE Gaines Adams and LB Anthony Waters), who decided to spurn the NFL draft in hopes of leading the Tigers to the promised land in 2006. Considering each and every team in the past that Bowden has coached in his nine-year career has been bowl-eligible, we’ll look renewed for life in Death Valley in ’06.

PLAY ON: vs. Wake Forest (10/7)

DUKE

The way we figure it, the roof is about to blow off at Duke. On the heels of their 6th winless season in conference play the last ten years, with a youthful offensive line that returns just one starter, head coach Phil Roof is hoping to nail down a lot of bad memories. Forced to play 14 true freshmen last season, the Devils bottomed out as usual (now 3-33 SU in final six games of the season this decade). Perhaps no loss was harder to digest than the season-ender at North Carolina where Duke lead 21-0 at the half before succumbing, 24-21. Taking on nine winning teams this year won’t help matters.

PASS

FLORIDA STATE

The numbers say it all – the most wins of any Division 1-A team since 1997 (88), 24 consecutive bowl games, the all-time winningest coach in Division 1-A history, only school to finish in AP Top Five for 14 for consecutive seasons… and on and on an on. When you say Bobby Bowden you’re talking benchmark. Lost, perhaps, in all the glitz is the fact FSU ended the 2005 season on a 3-5 note, after starting the year at 5-0. In fact, it’s worth noting the Seminoles are only 11-9 SU in their final four games of the regular season the last five years. Like we say, sometimes the numbers say it all.

PLAY AGAINST: vs. Miami Florida (9/4)

GEORGIA TECH

The Yellow Jackets were busy bees at 7-2 entering November last season when the honey makers lost their buzz down the stretch for the fifth straight season, ending the year at 7-5. Despite going bowling for the ninth straight season (one of only six teams in the nation to do so), it was a year of disappointment for Chan Gailey and his colony. They ended the spell with seven victories for the 4th straight year, while dipping to 5-10 in their final three games of the season since 2001. The upside is the Techsters open the 2006 campaign with five home games in their first six contests. The rest we’ve come to figure out.

PLAY ON: vs. Troy (9/16)

MARYLAND

We love the positive spin an athletic department can put on things. To quote, “This group of Terps is in much better shape than one would think of a team coming off a pair of seasons without a bowl game.” In SID-talk that means they suffered back-to-back losing years. Always the Big Man On Campus (for obvious reasons), head coach Ralph Friedgen returns a bevy of starters from last year’s squad. Included is Sam Hollenbach, his gun slinging quarterback. Joining him in the backfield will be lance Ball and Josh Allen, an exceptional tandem. Also back is everyone of last year’s starting defensive linemen. The cupboard’s full and, like McDonald’s, the Fridge is lovin’ it.

PLAY ON: as dog vs. Clemson (11/4)

MIAMI FLORIDA

How alarming is it for a team of this pedigree to lose three games back-to-back years? SIX new assistant coaches says it all. Included in the list of newcomers are two former college head coaches, a former NFL assistant head coach and a former NFL defensive coordinator. It appears Larry Coker is taking his job serious these days. Through it all the Hurricanes remain the winningest team this decade in Division 1-A football. That’s why they’ve resided in the AP Top 25 poll 104 consecutive weeks, the longest in the nation. They are also 148-0 in games in which they score more than 30 points. Batten down the shutters – Hurricane Larry is on the loose.

PLAY ON: vs. Georgia Tech (10/28)

NORTH CAROLINA

You have to like John Bunting. He’s a player’s coach who puts his all into everything for the program. “ I have to fight back the tears every time. But that’s the way I am. I love this place. I couldn’t be happier being back here after all these years,” says the Tar Heels head coach and former alum. Last year’s effort fell one game short of becoming bowl-eligible despite an improvement of nearly 100 yards on the defensive end. Hopefully new QB Joe Dailey (former Nebraska starter) will spark the offense. That and some Blood, Sweat and Tears should do the trick.

PLAY ON: as dog vs. Virginia Tech (9/9)

N.C. State's Chuck Amato could be on the hot seat this year. (AP Images)

NORTH CAROLINA STATE It’s understandable that head coach-Chuck is a ‘motto’ man. When he took over this program in 2000 his motto was FINISH. Every year there after it became a new maxim. From 2001-05 it was, FULL SPEED AHEAD, STEP UP, CUT IT LOOSE, DISCIPLINE and TRUST. We’re guessing 2006 it will be CASH, an acronym meaning Chuck Amato Saved His ass last year. A 2-4 start, coupled with a 1-4 finish in 2004, had the boo-birds chanting loudly demanding his resignation at mid-season last year. A 5-1 finish was like CASH to the motto-man. A schedule that finds only two losing teams on the menu this year may find him at the ATM machine.

PLAY AGAINST: as favorite vs. Southern Mississippi (9/16)

VIRGINIA

Three new coordinators, plus the loss of 10 starters, has Virginia feeling less than cavalier about their prospects in 2006. “We have a significant rebuilding job in front of us. We’ve had some pretty huge losses in four areas,” cries head coach Al Groh. The biggest loss of all was All-American OL D’Brickashaw Ferguson, a 1st round pick in this year’s NFL draft. Also departing are QB Marques Hagans, a two-year starter, and RB Wali Lundy, the ACC’s all-time touchdown leader. The good news is they open the season against only one bowl team in their first eight games. The bummer is four straight bowlers to conclude the year, one of them in a very nasty mood.

PLAY AGAINST: vs. Florida State - *KEY - (11/4)

VIRGINIA TECH

Sure, they lost three offensive linemen (and a former starter from the same unit) and new QB coach Mike O’Cain is in quest of a new signal-caller, but don’t shed a tear for the Hokies. They are one of only four teams to have made it to 13 straight bowl games and they’re commandeered by the ACC’s Coach of the Year the past two seasons. Twice as many home games (8) as road outs practically insures a 14th consecutive post-season performance. Of particular interest will be the Hokies visit to South Beach, where they’ll look to avenge their only loss of the season last year. We’ll be there, and so should you.

PLAY ON: as dog vs. Miami Florida (11/4)

WAKE FOREST

Normally when a team is scheduled to square off against five foes who have each won a bowl game the previous year a coach would cringe. That won’t be the case this year, at least as far as Jim Grobe is concerned. That’s because he is ecstatic having 48 lettermen back, including 18 starters – plus two reserves with starting experience. A hideously easy opening schedule finds their first five games against losing teams with a combined W-L record of 11-46 last year. The remaining seven games are all against foes who won five or more games last season. It’s like they like to say in the southern hills - get on ‘em, early.

PLAY ON: vs. Connecticut (9/16)

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4627

Florida State will reclaim the ACC.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker
    Florida State will reclaim the ACC.

god knows they're talent level has declined looker. although, i think this conference is alot tougher than years past.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    i think this conference is alot tougher than years past.
    Of coarse it is. With the addition of the Big East schools (Miami, Boston College and Virginia Tech). It is alway getting tougher and Florida State wont cruse through the conference like it once use to.

bigboydan

i was just took a look at there offensive squad they have comming back this year. there offensive talent recruiting has really been bad these past few seasons.

i'm not really convinced that there going to be a dominating factor this comming year, in this new ACC.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    i was just took a look at there offensive squad they have comming back this year. there offensive talent recruiting has really been bad these past few seasons.

i'm not really convinced that there going to be a dominating factor this comming year, in this new ACC.
    I assume your still talking about Florida State. If so, they havent been dominating the ACC the past few seasons. That regin is over for Florida State, but they will still be in the chase for the championship each more often then not.