RPP
    RPP's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Phil Steele's College 2011 Football Preview

Just picked mine up! Can't wait to read each and every team's page. If you don't have it yet, what are you waiting for? Any early thoughts on what this genius had to say?

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Phil is that you?

RPP

lol I wish, that guy makes bank. I'm a lowly college student.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Steele's rag is good for information, but his predictions are basically worthless.

NSN21
    NSN21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7886

This mag is what gets me through the summer, and is by far my #1 source of college football information. From an informational standpoint, you won't find anything close to it. I look forward to it every year.

redrum
    Update your status
    redrum's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

i like atlon better but i will check it out

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

It's awesome, but his braggadocios style in regards to picking previous years "surprise/most improved" teams is annoying.

The returning starters, spreads from previous years, and all of his numbers in general are awesome

RPP

I'm surprised he has USF taking the Big East.

Outhouse Tim
    Outhouse Tim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4454

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Steele's rag is good for information, but his predictions are basically worthless.

Absolutely agree. Wealth of information, but avoid the 'capping. Unfortunately, it looks like we might agree on a few things this year (So. Miss for example).

Outhouse Tim
    Outhouse Tim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4454

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell77 View Post
    It's awesome, but his braggadocios style in regards to picking previous years "surprise/most improved" teams is annoying.

The returning starters, spreads from previous years, and all of his numbers in general are awesome

Agree completely! Picking most improved is misleading, as the records are already so low. I can find lots of information in other places, and I have my own spread data for the past 32 years, but I can find some key comments in Steele's book about specific games that really add to my knowledge.

Other areas I like are the coaching staff paragraphs, the exact # of starts for various positions (OL, DB's), # of tackles in an easy format to review so I can see where teams are in this regard, sack information, much more valuable than it used to be due to the increase in pass importance to the college game, and turf/grass information.

The layout really works.

iwantcougars
    iwantcougars's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 679

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell77 View Post
    it's an awesome tool for the first half of the season games

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

I use Steele's publication; matter of fact I have every issue going back to 1993. Well worth the money especially if you are building a db.

A note of caution: every issue has numerous errors. Late coaching changes, for example, are not tracked in the issue but at his on-line site.

NSN21

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I use Steele's publication; matter of fact I have every issue going back to 1993. Well worth the money especially if you are building a db.

A note of caution: every issue has numerous errors. Late coaching changes, for example, are not tracked in the issue but at his on-line site.
    Very true, along with the numerous players that get injured or suspended for being boneheads over the summer. His website keeps track of that so you can make the notes in your mag. Makes a great resource to use throughout the year.

Lion4Life
    Lion4Life's Avatar Become A Pro!

Gotta go pick one up this afternoon.

RPP

I honestly think it is a great tool. Without it I wouldn't be nearly as informed.

NSN21

On a side note, has anybody seen Marc Lawrence's Playbook mag on newsstands anywhere yet? I think it is supposed to be out either very soon or just recently.

jwbama23
    LSUCKS
    jwbama23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

These magazines are pretty good for helping pass the time between now and Labor Day weekend. Other than that I wouldnt put a ton of stock into a lot of the stuff written

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

stupid to spend money on info you can get for free later on

chunk
    chunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19168

Yeah, I'm $8.95 in the hole before the season even starts.Take out an installment loan and get the magazine.

Wrecktangle

Quote Originally Posted by TPowell View Post
    stupid to spend money on info you can get for free later on
    Well, having it in one place organized by year is not worth the price? Or do you count your time as free?

BTW, a publication I find I cannot do without is The USA Today College Football Encyclopedia by Boyles and Guido.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

If you are worried about spending $20-30 a year on publications, you really should not be wagering at all. I received my Lawrence Playbook just before the 4th. It is a good source for technical information and a very easy way to keep track of all the NFL and NCAA FBS teams, but like Steele's magazine, beware of their predictions.

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

Steele's magazine is the best.

If you like to handicap games, his website is the very best out there. He has tons of information, great injury reports, historical data, and every bit of statistical information you can ask for if you are a handicapping geek like me.

I also suscribe to his Powersweep for weekly injury updates.

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

guys, no offense but I'm not buying SHIT that I can find for free. Steele has been an absolute joke the past few years anyway

hankcream
    hankcream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5458

Even though he tends to spend too much time on info from 2-3 years in the past in his team pages, the magazine is the best thing out there for pure information and it contains alot more than his website. He also does a great job on ESPN radio with Eric Kuselias on Saturday mornings during the season.

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

That's just it. Steele's website has free info. I like it because it pretty has every bit of info you need to handicap in one site. I do not play his picks because he uses angles too much when he makes his powersweep selections----

BetThemDogs
    BetThemDogs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Late to the party here, but--- Steele has a bunch of good stuff. After you wade through what the team did in 1922. Much too much space wasted on 3, and 4 year old stats. But, quite a bit very useful. Written in May, so not up to date, but good to take to the beach or pool.

Also, a must have is the Blue Ribbon football mag. You probably have to pick it up at the Gamblers Bookstore in Vegas, or online at www.blueribbononline.com. Good, in depth writeups-- akin to the Blue Ribbon BB book. Overly optimistic on teams, but good info.

Wrecktangle

Quote Originally Posted by BetThemDogs View Post
    Late to the party here, but--- Steele has a bunch of good stuff. After you wade through what the team did in 1922. Much too much space wasted on 3, and 4 year old stats. But, quite a bit very useful. Written in May, so not up to date, but good to take to the beach or pool.

Also, a must have is the Blue Ribbon football mag. You probably have to pick it up at the Gamblers Bookstore in Vegas, or online at www.blueribbononline.com. Good, in depth writeups-- akin to the Blue Ribbon BB book. Overly optimistic on teams, but good info.
    This is a dead link. Are these guys out of business?

Tony G
    Tony G's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 662

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    This is a dead link. Are these guys out of business?
    Try this http://www.blueribbonyearbookonline....otball-edition

Wrecktangle

Quote Originally Posted by BetThemDogs View Post

OK, these guys cost at least twice what the rest of the annuals cost, and it gets more like 3 time when you add in postage. It's not on the newsstand. There are no example pages to show what all the "extra" information is so it can easily be just another yappy Lindy's or Sports Illustrated, etc, etc. AND, they don't maintain their links. Aside from some testimonials from a group of talking heads, damn little to get me to spend money.