WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

More Coaches Needed for Division I football?

Tennessee head football coach Derick Dooley thinks so. Dooley suggested yesterday that more assistant coaches are needed in Division I football. Speaking at the SEC meetings in Destin, Florida, Dooley offered the following:

"The point I raise is, 'Who said nine is the right number? Why are we assuming nine is the right number?' We don't have enough coaches to manage as many players and to be accountable for all their actions............

We've got a sport here that every department depends on financially. We've got a sport here that is the front porch of our marketing arm for our university. We've got a sport that is scrutinized, analyzed, covered more than any other sport out there. And yet we have less coaches who are mentoring, motivating, guiding our players than any other sport. All I'm asking is why?"

I guess one could take a side either way on Dooley's concerns but he does make some valid points on the need for additional coaches.............

What's your take on needing more coaches for college football?

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Nine assistant coaches and Dooley wants more? How ridiculous can you get. What happened to the days when teams had a head coach, an Offensive and Defensive Coordinator, and nothing more. The next thing Dooley will want is a private assistant coach for each player. Stupid idea.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

The worst thing to happen for football coaches was the elimination of athletic dorms by the NCAA. The coaches had the players under one roof and could monitor players when not on the practice field. Now the players are scattered all over the place and have more opportunity for trouble.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I agree Work. The elimination of the athletic dorms makes it impossible for the coaches and even the compliance committees to watch the players and monitor them.

bb_skoots
    bb_skoots's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 389

Dooley makes it sound like assistant coach = babysitter. So the schools have to spend more money watching a few losers 24/7.

fishmonger
    Very sharp square
    fishmonger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

I felt like we did crazier shit when I lived in the jock rock. It's like a frat when you put all the football players together. Things calmed down when they split all of us. I don't think getting rid of the athletic dorms was a bad thing now I look back at it. It sucked when it happened but I didn't do crazy shit around my suite mates. Which were engineering geeks and design nerds.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

The problem is that many of these players live off campus. That is where most of this caca happens.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHorse View Post
    The worst thing to happen for football coaches was the elimination of athletic dorms by the NCAA. The coaches had the players under one roof and could monitor players when not on the practice field. Now the players are scattered all over the place and have more opportunity for trouble.
    This is an absolutely spot-on comment. The coach's spys could keep everyone under observation. "Trouble" does not mean the crazy dorm shit we used to pull (good for team morale in my opinion), but keeping the alumni, etc. under surveillance for "cheating" under the modern-day plantation model the NCAA works under.

Not sure about more assistant coaches, perhaps we need more private investigators...

...check that, "assistant" coaches are much cheaper, need to run them thru a surveillance course or two tho...