goblue12
    goblue12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 453

Big East Expansion rumors

- Army, Navy under consideration as football-only members.
    - Villanova being re-examined to get to 12.

Big East: Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Villanova, West Virginia
    C-USA 2.0: Army, Cincinnati, Louisville, Navy, South Florida, TCU

CCG in New York

RPP
    RPP's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

I hope that isn't how it happens. My 'Cats cant really compete with TCU.

wookieehumper
    wookieehumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

So the big east will still be irrelevant and undeserving of an automatic bcs bid for the conference winner...

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Army and Navy make sense because the Big East already has an overcrowded field in their hoops conference. 'Nova would also add a team to the football conference while not adding a team to the hoops conference, since they are already there. I see no problems for Army, but for Navy, who always plays Notre Dame and Air Force, their non-con schedule would be limited. Still, this is the best way for the Big East to expand . The only two other options would be Central Florida, a natural rival for South Florida, and East Carolina. Both would require adding more teams to the log jam in the big East's hoops conference.
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 05-28-11 at 10:13 PM.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!

TCU to the Big East just doesn't make any sense to me. My view is the Big 12 should have gone all out to get TCU and maybe even consider SMU or Houston to fill the losses. Shocker maybe with SMU but with the Dallas market and a school who is fighting back....just seems like a good fit to me. Heck, before long, Texas A&M and Oklahoma are going to be in the SEC anyway.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Not if the Big East expands to 12 teams. TCU was never a candidate to join the Big 12, nor is SMU, Houston, or ANY other Team from Texas as of now, because Texas insists on this. They will not allow any Texas team into the Big 12. Because of this, the Big 12 cannot expand. Who are they going to take? Tulsa, with their 30,000 seat stadium? New Mexico? The Big 12 is stuck at 10 teams, for now.

This is where the Big East come into play. The BCS is ruled by four conferences now. They are the ACC, Big 10, Pac 12, and SEC. Those are the 12 team conferences. The Big East is a 9 team conference, and has nothing in the way of star power. Even the Big 12-2 has it's two star teams, in Texas and Oklahoma. The Big East is also looking to sign a new TV contract. If they want to get anything out of that contract, they MUST expand to 12 teams. No network will pay any decent money to televise a 9 team Big East. On top of all of this, if the Big 12-2 folds, which is certainly possible, the Big 4 may decide to expand to 16 teams. The Big East cannot survive a raid by the ACC and Big 10. The Pac 12, who is now the leader in these things, will grab 4 Big 12 teams. The SEC will grab at least one, and potentially three teams from the ACC. The ACC will then be forced to raid the Big East, as will the Big 10. If the Big East expands, and I think they must, it will be a lot harder for the Big 10 and the ACC to raid them. They will get a decent T.V. contract. If the Big East expands before the Big 12 folds, the Big 12 could well be forced to add two teams to become the 5th 12 team conference, or face elimination. That would force Texas's hand.
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 05-29-11 at 08:38 AM.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good food to chew on partner.

Hell, seems like you have been doing some homework.

The whole college football scene is getting crazy. Guess I'm getting old...I liked it when we had the Southwest Conference, Real Big 10, SEC etc.....................its all about $$$$ now.

RPP
    RPP's Avatar Become A Pro!

I really like the where the Big East is going. People will be surprised in 5 years.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

RPP. Just where is the Big East going? That is the question. They seem totally lost and confused. They keep saying that they are in a good position to sign a T.V. deal because they added TCU. That is incorrect. They may be in a position to sign a better T.V. deal than they have presently beccause of the TCU addition, but they are nowheres close to being in a good position to sign a T.V. deal that is anything close to the ones that the other 5 BCS Conferences have. The fact of the matter is that the Big East is a terrible Football Conference. They have been since the Big Three (Miami, Va. Tech, and Boston College) left the Conference. They are going to have to depend on their hoops program to get any kind of decent T.V. deal, and the fact is that no one gives a caca about hoops. They are hoping that NBC/Comcast gets involved in the bigging so someone will offer them some decent money. If they do not expand, that is NOT going to happen. They cannot sell the fact that they would have the biggest T.V. market in New York City because New York City does NOT have a team in the Big East. No one in New York City gives a crap about College Football. All they care about is the Giants and Jets.

You say that people will be surprised in 5 years. Give me one piece of evidence that this will be the case. 5 years is way too long to wait anyways. Right now, the MWC is a much better football conference than the Big East. Next season, the Big East gets what's left of TCU. They will NOT be the team that they were in 2010.
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 05-29-11 at 08:52 AM.

john2153
    john2153's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8329

No chance Army or Navy joins a conference.

And contrary to what people believe, the Big East is not gonna lose BCS automatic status. If anything, the MWC will get a 7th automatic bid...and that is a stretch. Teams like New Mexico, Wyoming, UNLV, Colorado St drag down the overall strength of the conference.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I am not too sure of that. Remember, TCU is basically, the working girl of the NCAA. They have changed conferences 4 times in 11 years. If the MWC were given AQ status, watch how quick TCU would beg to be taken back by the MWC. The Big East is by far, the worst AQ conference. With only 9 teams, they would be the target of every AQ conference who wanted to expand.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

UCF is the 2nd biggest University in the country right now. I work at UCF and hear Big East expansion talk all the time. The Big East would be dumb to reject UCF. I think the only thing they lack is a stadium requirement.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    UCF is the 2nd biggest University in the country right now. I work at UCF and hear Big East expansion talk all the time. The Big East would be dumb to reject UCF. I think the only thing they lack is a stadium requirement.
    Square milage of campus space is not a good measure of the size of the university.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

...and if you are talking about number of students, SDSU has over 30,000 and it is STILL just a community college.

xyzky
    xyzky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    ANY other Team from Texas as of now, because Texas insists on this. They will not allow any Texas team into the Big 12. Because of this, the Big 12 cannot expand.
    And this will lead to their own downfall...

bornselling
    bornselling's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 196

Big East: Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Villanova, West Virginia

gafl
    gafl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 706

Big East was started as a basketball conference. Wouldn't be surprised to see them split, with the football schools forming another conference. Basketball is getting too big, with old rivals playing one game against each other per season.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Xyzky, that is exactly what people are waiting to see. Will Texas refusal to allow any other Texas Schools into the Conference lead to the downfall of the Conference? Texas A&M would love nothing more than to have an excuse to jump to the SEC, and they would be welcomed with open arms. With the real possibility that the MWC becomes the 7th "AQ" BCS Conference in 2012, all eyes will be trained on the Big 12-2 to see what they do. The MWC will lose TCU in 2012, but gains Fresno State, Hawaii, and Nevada. That will make them a 10 team Conference, the same number as the Big 12-2, and one team more than the Big East. If the MWC is granted "AQ" status, it is certainly not a reach to see teams like Houston and SMU, currently snubbed by the Big 12-2, jumping to the MWC, so they can be eligable to play in a BCS game.

Gafl, you said the exact same thing that Jim Calhoon said recently.

Dane, one would think that UCF would be a natural for the Big East, with built in rival USF already in the fold. Their staduim is plenty big enough for the Big East, seating over 45,000, which is larger than both UConn and Cincinnati's stadiums. The problem is what to do with that ridiculous hoops conference. My guess is that the Big East would add UCF immediately if they could figure out that problem. Next season they will have a 9 team conference, an odd number. With UCF, East Carolina, Army, Navy, and Vandy all being considered, one would think that they would have no problem adding three teams to the conference, but we are talking the Big East here.

gafl
    gafl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 706

Funny that you mentioned Calhoun, because UConn and Syracuse would lose the most with a football conference. Their rivalries with St. John's and Georgetown especially go back a long way. Don't know if Army and Navy would fit in the Big East. Due to their high admission standards and obligations as undergraduates, it would put them at a big disadvantage. The other schools mentioned would be good fits. What about Temple? Would the Big East be tempted again? They have turned their program around and could definitely play with half the Big East, which is the weakest conference in the BCS. Good thread, have been a Big East fan since the beginning.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I find it very odd that Temple is the one school not being talked about. You would think that they would be the #1 school talked about. How can they talk about 'Nova and not Temple?

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Didn't Temple get kicked out of the Big East? There's probably some bad blood there.

I don't think Vandy will jump ship from the SEC. Those people are smarter than that.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Didn't Temple get kicked out of the Big East? There's probably some bad blood there.

I don't think Vandy will jump ship from the SEC. Those people are smarter than that.
    Vandy? When was Vandy ever mentioned? I think you are getting Vandy mixed up with Villanova.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Vandy? When was Vandy ever mentioned? I think you are getting Vandy mixed up with Villanova.
    post #18. I think you made a simple typo

POISON
    POISON's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12889

What a crappy conference, they shouldn't receive any BCS consideration.......

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Here is what the Big East is facing. This conference used to be compared to the ACC. Now they are compared to the MWC. The chances that the MWC get AQ status from the BCS in 2012 are greater than 50-50 now. If Boise State has a great year, and others have a good year, chances are that a 10 team MWC gets AQ status in 2012. That gets the Feds off the BCS's back. So you would have 7 AQ conferences for two years, until the next allignment. 4 of those conferences are absolute locks, being 12 team conferences. Those are the ACC, Big 10, Pac 12, and SEC. You would then have 2 conferences with 10 teams in them. The Big 12 (-2) and the MWC. Then you have the Big East at 9 teams. The more teams in your conference, the easier it is to qualify for AQ status in the BCS. Since Texas wants no part of any other University in Texas joining the Big 12, it is easily concieveable that Houston and SMU could join the MWC if the MWC becomes an AQ Conference, giving them 12 teams. The Big East would be facing a major problem then. The Big 12 (-2) has big name teams in Texas and OU, plus solid teams in A&M, Oklahoma State, and Missouri. The Big East has none of that. With only 9 teams in the conference, none of them with much national fan appeal, the Big East would have a difficult time keeping it's AQ status. To make life easier for the Big East, an expansion to 12 teams is in order. There are certainly plenty of candidates. You have Temple, 'Nova, Army, Navy, East Carolina, and Central Florida to name six. Even Memphis, with their 61,000 seat stadium has been mentioned as a long shot candidate. So if the Big East were smart (and no one is saying that they are), they get rid of that monstronsity of a hoops conference, and take care of the football conference.

iwantcougars
    iwantcougars's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 679

houston to the mwc, will make a stronger point to get into the bcs.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Houston will join the MWC if the MWC becomes a temporary AQ Conference, as rumored, next season. Next season, Fresno State, Hawaii, and Nevada join the MWC and TCU leaves, giving the MWC a 10 team conference. If they add Houston and, say SMU, that jumps them up to 12 teams, and they may not lose their AQ status in 2014.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Who would the Big 12 add? Houston? TCU would have been the most logical choice but now they've jumped ship. No one else really makes sense. Tulsa? Rice? Southern Miss?

goblue12
    goblue12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 453

Air Force and BYU would likely be 1 and 1a on the expansion list.

Problem is the Northern 4 (Iowa State, Kansas, K-State, Mizzou) will be hesitant to give up their annual home-and-home series with the Texas / Oklahoma schools, making expansion unlikely. Add in the fact that the current 4 Texas schools (plus two Oklahoma schools ... remember, only a 3 hour trip to Norman from Dallas) basically consist of all the available markets, and you see no real reason for them to add anyone in that state.

They will be at 10 for a very, very long time. Wouldn't be surprised to see the SEC go after the Big 4 (Texas, aTm, Oklahoma, Okie State).

One can only imagine...

SEC West
    Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State

SEC East
    Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, South Carolina
    Last edited by goblue12; 06-20-11 at 01:47 AM.

redrum
    Update your status
    redrum's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Ucf playing in the big east is great and the stadium req they can play their big games at the citrus bowl

chunk
    chunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19150

Quote Originally Posted by goblue12 View Post
    Air Force and BYU would likely be 1 and 1a on the expansion list.

Problem is the Northern 4 (Iowa State, Kansas, K-State, Mizzou) will be hesitant to give up their annual home-and-home series with the Texas / Oklahoma schools, making expansion unlikely. Add in the fact that the current 4 Texas schools (plus two Oklahoma schools ... remember, only a 3 hour trip to Norman from Dallas) basically consist of all the available markets, and you see no real reason for them to add anyone in that state.

They will be at 10 for a very, very long time. Wouldn't be surprised to see the SEC go after the Big 4 (Texas, aTm, Oklahoma, Okie State).

One can only imagine...

SEC West
    Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State

SEC East
    Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, South Carolina
    This type of scenario really wouldn't be all that surprising if you ask me. Maybe not in the near future, but I could see 4 major 16 team conferences someday.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

The Big 12-2 will NEVER add any Texas team, because the University of Texas will not allow it. That is why TCU foolishly joined the Big East. No Conference wants BYU. The Pac 10 opted for Colorado and Utah instead of BYU. The reality of the situation is that the Big 12-2 will NOT expand. There is more of a chance of the Conference breaking up than expanding.

Outhouse Tim
    Outhouse Tim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4454

TCU?

The Big 12-2 will NEVER add any Texas team, because the University of Texas will not allow it. That is why TCU foolishly joined the Big East. No Conference wants BYU. The Pac 10 opted for Colorado and Utah instead of BYU. The reality of the situation is that the Big 12-2 will NOT expand. There is more of a chance of the Conference breaking up than expanding.
    Was it foolish? They have been in about five conferences the past 15 or so years, looking for the right fit. I fully expect UCF to be added to the Big East in the next 1-2 years. That gives them 10, and a natural football rival for USF. Moving to 12 might be more localized (Villanova, etc.).

The MWC took a hit with BYU and Utah leaving, then TCU. I'd love to see them get AQ status but it remains less than 50-50 in my eyes with the bottom of the conference not pulling their weight, and SD St mostly underachieving.