WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Worst Team in NCAA Football History

My vote goes to NEW MEXICO STATE. The Aggies have had just FOUR winning seasons since 1967. Last season NMS was 2-10.

Idaho and Utah State are also pretty bad. All three of these teams come from the WAC. Boise State was 3-0 before starting the season every year playing these teams.

There are others, like Vanderbilt but at least they play good competition....who would you nominate?

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

Columbia lost every game they played for five consecutive years in the 80's.

End of thread.

WorkHorse

I meant to say Division I teams.

Start thread again....................

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Somewhere I have the Elo ratings of all 120 Div I teams for the last 10-12 years calced. But I would not be surprised if one of the three you mentioned WH, winds up on the absolute bottom for that period.

crjohnson32
    crjohnson32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 237

2010 Michigan defense made me want to jump in front of a speeding truck several times every game.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Temple. They were so bad that they left the Big East. From 2001 until 2006 they won 11 games, while losing 56.

iwantcougars
    iwantcougars's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 679

both new mexico teams

mlb
    mlb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12779

new Mexicos got to be somewhere. .. They can't cover spreads even getting 50+

fishmonger
    Very sharp square
    fishmonger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

Eastern Michigan, Duke, UL u pick'em, Army, Buffalo. There is a lot of worst teams. But I would go with Buffalo. They won the MAC a couple years ago because of James Starks and Drew Wiley. But after they left they have been horrible and were horrible before them too. I remember fading them in high school when they went to D1 and the spreads were like 35 to other MAC teams.

JNic
    JNic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 290

new mexico for sure

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I trhink they are talking about all of NCAA history, not just the past few years. Army won a Bowl game last season. How does that qualify them as one of the "worst" teams of all time?

WorkHorse

Temple statistically is one of the worst teams to ever play college football (387-506-22) but have rebounded of late.

Indiana has one of the worst records (431-590-44) and has only played in 8 bowl games.

Vanderbilt is 1-1-1 in bowl games in its 117 year existence. The Doars are good in basketball and baseball, but do not belong in the SEC in football.

Northwestern holds the record for Division 1-A losing streak at 34 games.

New Mexico State has been a loser since the 60's and I'll stick with them as the worst program in NCAA football.

(Wonder how Vanderbilt would fair in the WAC???)

fishmonger
    Very sharp square
    fishmonger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    I trhink they are talking about all of NCAA history, not just the past few years. Army won a Bowl game last season. How does that qualify them as one of the "worst" teams of all time?
    If you are going with that argument then would you consider Princeton one of the best college football programs of all time? You would have too, because they have 28 national championships which is more than twice the national championships than Alabama. You can't have it both ways.

Enkhbat
    Enkhbat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26307

I think Vanderbilt is a decent program, they would be a contender in the WAC for sure

pacers101
    pacers101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

I vote IU they load their non conference schedule with fbs schools and still can't get enough wins to be bowl eligible. and throughout history I think they average about 1 winning season per decade. although I think the new coach they hired will make them somewhat respectable in a few years.

RPP
    RPP's Avatar Become A Pro!

Any SEC team would compete in the WAC.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by RPP View Post
    Any SEC team would compete in the WAC.
    By compete you mean the 5th best Wac team staying withing 31 points of the 5th best SEC team, then yes, you are right.

stevenash

^
    oops, my bad, I misunderstood your post initially.
    Sorry

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

Portland St and New mexico st. come to mind. Duke is pretty bad and so is Temple as some others have suggested. buffalo and Akron always seem to suck too. There are a lot of bad teams, but some teams don't look as bad as others because they play soft schedules. Vanderbilt isn't a bad team, they just play against the best competition. I mean they aren't really good either, but they aren't terrible.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
    If you are going with that argument then would you consider Princeton one of the best college football programs of all time? You would have too, because they have 28 national championships which is more than twice the national championships than Alabama. You can't have it both ways.
    The post specifically said "In NCAA History". Temple has that honor, statistically speaking. This thread has nothing to do with the "Best" team in NCAA History.