sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper
    sweetpete57@'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Sweetpete's Picks 10/18

Things have turned south for me these past few weeks so I imagine nobody's even reading this right now. But, because I enjoy having a thread, I will continue making my selections and am expecting a big turnaround these next few weeks. Before the picks, I (like everyone) have some advice for the BCS folks this year

• Penn St. has no right to play in the Title game even if they end up undefeated. Weak Conference, weak non-conference schedule
    • The Big Ten and Pac-10 can't have a team in the championsip game unless they have a conference championship game
    • There should always be a non-major conference team in a BCS game if they have 1 loss or less
    • Keith Jackson must come out of retirement to announce every BCS bowl game. Whoa' Nellie!

PICK #1
    OLE MISS +13 @ Alabama
    I don't think the Florida game was a fluke for Ole Miss. They have a lot of talent and will not be intimidated. The Rebels were able to defeat Florida by Forcing TOs but may have trouble doing so vs. a 'Bama team that turned it over 8 times in 6 games. SO, Ole Miss will HAVE to stop the run. Plain and simple. They held Florida's ground game in check and I think they'll be able to vs. 'Bama. Plus, the last 3 games in this series have been very close 'Bama 21-16

PICK #2
    MISSISSIPPI ST. +7.5 @ Tennessee
    After the loss to UCLA, I predicted on this forum that Tenn. would not make a bowl game, and I've found little reason to think that prognosis has change. LY, Miss St. won 3 road games and they now have some confidence after defeating Vandy. Tenn. is headed nowhere this year and the fan base probably won't be too enthusiastic this saturday. Coach Croom rebounded LY after a thrashing by LSU in the opener, and had some big wins. He'll pick up his second straight big win @ Tenn. this week MISS ST. 13-10

PICK #3
    LSU -2.5 (-120) @ S. Carolina
    S.C. has gained respect again by winning @ Ole Miss and @ Kentucky in back to back weeks. But, they played these at the perfect times. Miss. was due for a letdown after the big Florida win. UK was beat up after the 'Bama game. LSU is the superior team and I think Miles will have his team rebounded and ready to go. LSU can still make the championship game if they run the table so I don't think they'll let one game destroy their confidence. LSU 28-21

more picks to come.....

Dbldown11
    Dbldown11's Avatar Become A Pro!

The only game I'm playing out of these three is the BAMA game, I am on the otherside. I think that the extra weeks rest will have them ready, and I think they dominate in this one.

As for your other two picks I was leaning that way on both, but ended up making no play.

Mississippi is VERY suspect on the road, so it scared me away, however they have a very good defense and tennessee kinda blows, so good luck with that one.

I liked the LSU play a lot as well, but it seems like S. Carolina has been playing much better as of late, and their win @Kentucky last week makes me stay away, it seems like these two teams are headed in opposite directions possibly.

But like I said if I was going to bet either of those games I would be on the sides you are on. So good luck this week man.

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper

I'm just not sold on 'Bama. Other than Georgia, they schedule has been weak. Clemson is much worse than everyone thought. They struggled vs. Tulane and Kentucky despite winning, and beat up on 2 terrible teams (Ark. and WKU). I'm with you in that ON PAPER 'Bama should dominate, but I think Ole Miss will hang tough given the experience of the Florida game.

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper

PICK #4
    WAKE FOREST -2 @ Maryland
    WF is better on both sides of the ball and is clearly the choice here. Wake Forest has the ACC's #1 passing offense whereas Maryland is #11 in the ACC on pass defense. WFs defense has shut down Florida St. and Baylor on the road this year, so home advantage won't play into this equation. Maryland has gained attention by beating a jetlagged Cal team and a CLemson team in turmoil. The reality is, MAryland is mediocre at best and they have not faced a potent defense like WF this year. Wake rolls. WAKE FOREST 24-3

PICK #5
    UTAH -21.5 vs. Colorado St.
    CSU's competitive performance vs. TCU sets up line value here. CSU isn't any good and they play a UTAH team that can light up the score board. SO far the most potent offense CSU has faced was Cal, a game which they lost 42-7. Utah realizes that they must impress every week, symbolized by their 40-7 win @ Wyoming LW. The home advantage for Utah should push this game towards the blowout category.
    UTAH 38-10

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper

PICK #6
    MEMPHIS +8 @ E. CAROLINA
    It's hard to think that ECU will be able to cover an 8-pt spread against anybody these days. ECU's season collapsed when they lost to NC State, and their unrealistic BCS chances shattered. Memphis can move the ball, and ECUs defense has been less than stellar lately, allowing 41 pts. to Houston and 35 to Virginia. ECU needs to win this game if they plan on salvaging something after being knocked out of the BCS hunt. Memphis has enough weapons to stay close, if not win. MEMPHIS 31-27

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper

PICK #7
    BUFFALO -11.5 vs. Army
    Buffalo is much better than their 2-4 record would indicate. All four losses were against superior teams, and they hung around in all four games, including a decent performance at Missouri. Army appeared to be among the worst teams in the FBS, but wins vs. Tulane and E. Michigan have given them confidence. Buffalo has had problems on defense TY, but Army has a fairly inept offense, so that won't necessarily come into play. Buffalo has a strong pass attack and Army has struggled pressuring QBs. As long as Buffalo isn't too heartbroken over the W. Mich. loss, they are in position to dominate this game. BUFFALO 34-14

GL everyone!

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper

PICK #8
    OHIO ST. -3 @ Michigan St.

Ohio St.'s defense has been solid after the loss to USC, and is the best defense Mich. St. has faced yet. Last week's Mich St. win was misleading, as NW had a huge yard advantage. Assuming Ohio St. is able to keep RB Ringer in check, Mich St will have to win this game through the air, and area they have not excelled in this year. OSU is the better team, and will find a way to win on the road.
    OHIO ST. 20-13

PICK #9
    PITT -2.5 @ Navy
    Pitt seems to improve every game and I'm surprised they're such a small favorite in this one. Navy's is a one-dimensional and they are facing a defense in the top 1/4 of all FBS teams. McCoy could be the best running back Navy has seen thus far, and it's hard to believe their shaky defense will be up for the task. Revenge factor on Pitt's side as well. PITT 34-17

sicky123
    sicky123's Avatar Become A Pro!

good luck tomorrow ! take a look at the buffs