WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Tennessee

First, I'm just trying to gain some knowledge about what's going on with this team. As an Alabama guy, I'm not trying to start an argument or war with anyone who loves the Vols.

What in the world is going on at quarterback for the Vols? Tyler Bray was the second coming of Peyton Manning to some of my dear friends who are Tennessee fans. During the T-Game on Saturday, this guy went 5 of 30 passing. How in heck can a supposed savior, leader of Tennessee football, go 5 of 30 passing. Sims the second team guy and a freshman (forgot his name, but he looked good) both clearly out played Bray.

I know UTMoody and others have a better feel of what's going on in Knoxville than an outsider like me does. Help us out guys.........that was one ugly performance by the lead guy.

utmoody10
    utmoody10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 725

Bray had an attrocious orange and white game but has performed fairly well during other team scrimmages. He has a tendency to get a little carried away with deep balls and forgo a check down. There is no QB controversy, Bray will be the guy. Spring games are fun in the fact that they are a first taste of football in quite some time but I wont let a bad performance on a cold, wet, windy field with half of his first team decide that he isnt the guy. Simms is a decent back up option and Worley could possibly red shirt. The key to UT this year will have to be an improved O-line and Defense, the passing game will be fine. 6 wins is expected, 7 would be nice and 8 will be quite the acheivement for this team. Depth is improved over last year but it is still an issue

WorkHorse

UT, for Tennessee to have success in the SEC this season, they will have to play tough defense. Offense may keep them in games, but against the Bulldogs, Tide, Gators etc....Defense is bottom line for a good season. I've read you enough to trust you know that.

I played QB in HS and College and so QB is always an interest to me. Seeing Bray play Saturday was like watching a rookie. Simms clearly showed more poise and was the better quarterback. That freshman kid impressed me with his setup and delivery. Yeah, he's raw but showed me something. I had to go back and look him up to see where he came from.

I like Dooley, just hope you Tennessee folks will give him a chance to be successful.

RPP
    RPP's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bray is the real deal. They could be strong this year.

WorkHorse

RPP, please explain your position on how Tennessee will be strong this season. Rather than a short statement.....offer some explaination that will offer some light on how the Vols will be better.

Thanks Bud................

bornselling
    bornselling's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 196

that was one ugly performance by the lead guy.

WorkHorse

OK Bornselling....tell this old gang how Tennessee had some problems during their spring game. If you can't, we ole Muleriders will drop your ass from our $500 opening week contest.

Ok? (short & sweet) the way you like it.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

When you talk about the Tennessee QB situation, you are talking about two decent QB's who MAY have some potential. This is the time of year when everyone is going to be a Heisman Candidate. It is also the time of the year when decent prospects look good, and good prospects look great. Every team has 3-4 players that have the potential to be great in someone's eyes. Things are all blown out of porportion. You cannot let the Spring Hype weigh too much in your handicapping for the fall. The fact is that Tennessee still has to face Georgia, LSU, at Alabama, and South Carolina in a 4 week span, and also has games at Florida and at Arkansas. Those games will tell us the real story about Bray and Sims.

utmoody10

WorkHorse, I'll give you a position by position breakdown. Starting with the offense.

First QB - Bray is the guy, the last 5 or 6 games of last year showed a much higher ceiling than Simms could ever reach. Simms was notorious for staring down receivers and holding the ball too long. With a young O-Line that was a disaster. Bray as stated before has a gunslinger mentality, that along with the fact that he is 19 years old will cause him to struggle at times. He has a great arm and a quick release, the next step for him is mental as teams will begin to gameplan for him further. Simms will be there as a back up, hes a tough kid and could possibly be used sparingly if Bray has an off game. Freshman Justin Worley was the Gatorade Player of the Year and I believe he will be a good fit in time running Jim Cheneys offense.

Running Back- Tauren Poole returns after logging a 1000 yd rushing last season. He is a tough back who lacks break away speed and sometimes doesnt see the hole quick enough. Once again he was a victim of a young O-Line who really never gelled as run blockers. Expect Sophomore Rajion Neal to see many carries this year as he has been impressive in the early goings of spring. He is quicker than Poole and is deceptively fast recently clocking a sub 4.4 40. Freshman Marlin Lane and Tony Williams look to throw their hats in the ring for carries but both are recovering from knee injuries. FB will be Channing Fugate who took over starting duties midway through last season.

Wide Receiver - Two of the most coveted WR recruits a year ago will highlight the Vols receiving group. Sophomores Justin Hunter and Da'Rick Rogers will be the go to guys and both have glimpses of their big play capability during last season. Zach Rogers is the elder of the group and will be battling incoming Freshmen DeAnthony Arnett and Vincent Dallas for the spot in the slot.

Tight End - Luke Stocker's departure will be felt this year as there isnt anyone at the TE spot that gets me excited. Mychal Rivera has a hold of top spot for now without much competition. Rivera originally was an Oregon signee who instead went the JUCO route before landing with the Vols. He saw a few passes come his way last year but TE will be the weak spot on offense for the Vols.

O-Line - Where the Vols will see the most improvement mainly because there is nowhere to go but up. Last year the Vols had many struggles with the running game and keeping the QB upright. All five starters will have game experience heading into 2011. Juwan James could possibly make the move from RT to LT as he appears to be the most talented of the group. Alex Bullard (Notre Dame transfer) along with an impressive early entree freshman Marcus Jackson improve the depth on the line. This area should show great strides in improvement this year. Coach Harry Heistand is a coach with a great resume of developing talent. While he was at Illinois every senior starting offensive linemen in Hiestand's first seven years with the Illini was signed to an NFL contract.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Ut. Tennessee has a very oded schedule. They play 6 games that should be easy winners. They get Montana, Cincinnati, Buffalo, and Middle Tennessee, all at home. That is your basic Cream Puff non-con schedule. They also get Vandy at home, and go to Kentucky, a team that they beat every year. So you can figure Tennessee for at least 6 wins. The other six games are a bit different. Home games against Georgia, LSU and South Carolina are certainly loseable. Away games at Alabama, Florida and Arkansas are even more loseable. It will be interesting to see on which side of .500 Tennessee lands on. I think 7-5 would be acceptable, and 8-4 would be a good season. 6-6 or worse would be a poor season. I think this is a very imnportant season for Tennessee. The future schedules are not going to get any easier than this.
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 04-21-11 at 09:39 AM.

WorkHorse

Good summaries UT. As you mentioned above, a huge plus for the Vols offense will be having some offensive lineman back who have played. The O-line is one of hardest positions to play for a true freshman coming in and it takes time time to learn techniques and gain the strength and conditioning necessary to compete against SEC defenses. I'm sure QB Bray will be fine once the season starts.

utmoody10

Hence why it was such a struggle to run the football for the Vols last season. At the end of the season true freshmen had taken over 3 of the 5 strarting spots on the line. The majority of the contributors on both offense and defense will be sophomores and freshmen this year, which is not necessarily a recipe for success in the SEC but reason for hope in the near future for Vols fans.

WorkHorse

Attention UTMoody.

Is there anyway you can take the offense summaries you posted above and transfer them to the Notebook. The reason I ask is this thread will fade and I have ole friends in Tampa and Dallas who will read the College Football Notebook through and through looking for information from knowledgeable posters as the football season nears.

Thanks if you can..............much appreciated. I don't know how other than copy and retype.