BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Quote Originally Posted by Brady2Moss View Post
    w/e Guys, even if USC does bail me out and win this game, I think I will be calling it quits...

Numerous times after losing big chunks of money on games I told myself "I will never bet again, I will never risk that much, etc etc etc" but I always find myself coming back after a few weeks once the sting of the loss wears off...

I think that this is a disease and we are all suffering from it...

Honestly, could you guys quit gambling for 1 year? you may think that you can, but can you actually do it? I know for a fact that I COULD NOT do it, even if I wanted to...

What should I do?

Most likely you won't be calling it quits. You'll probably have a sleepless night tonight wishing you had just taken the points like you had probably considered but instead decided to take the "safe bet."

Everyone goes through such phases of gambling. You are basically an addict and a square/donkey anyway you look at it. You have to make a serious decision tonight. You either should stop gambling or learn how to become a better sports bettor. It's up to you what you want to do, but betting isn't the problem, it's your inability to be a successful gambler that is hurting you and will continue to hurt you in the future.

Listen to these 4 people at SBR: Ganch, Justin, Durito, and Don Juan.

Everything they say, write it down and committ it to memory. Just about everyone else at SBR is useless but that does not mean they are irrelevant. In fact, many of the most useless posters provide valuable lessons about what not to do. When you become real good, you can start critiquing them and identifying why they are losing gamblers. Once you are able to do that and do with that with a high level of confidence and accuracy, you'll know you've arrived.

You can take some solace in the fact that a lot of other posters on here lost big tonight with the same bet you did (or tied USC to every imaginable parlay they did this weekend) but again, most people lose so it is to be expected.

Good luck B2M.....

Beat up the book
    Beat up the book's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 433

Mushed!!!

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tough break bro, I am speechless.

griffijf
    griffijf's Avatar Become A Pro!

You'll enjoy this so much more if you just use bankroll management.

maritime
    maritime's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBlank View Post
    If you are wagering 500 bucks on a WNBA game....you have serious issues.

I only wager on college football. The NFL is too crazy for my tastes, and I don't really like baseball.

I do have to ask....wagering 1800 bucks on USC to win 100?

That is a problem. Why not just bet a lousy 100 bucks on USC to cover the first half? You lose, oh well. You still have tomorrow. You would have won the same amount had they covered as you would have on the ML.

Just a dumb decision.
    STRAIGHT BET (Risking: 1,100.00 - To Win: 1,000.00)
    09/23/2008 - 06:10 PM NBA [673] LAS GM3 +3-110
    Score: LAS GM3(71) - SEA GM3(64)

I guess I have serious issues. I find the chicks quite predictable actually.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

I just cant understand how this keeps happening to me. everytime I risk a large amount (50% or more of my bankroll) I ALWAYS lose. Its now at a point where I think some devine power is controlling this, maybe some god doesnt want me gambling. ex...

1) Patriots ML in superbowl, lost $1600
    2) I bet the Yankees -150 earlier in the season ML, lost $700
    3) I bet an under in WNBA lost $500
    4) I bet Arizona St 2nd half last week, lost $800
    5) I bet USC ML today risking 1800 and im losing big right now...

How the hell could this happen, is this even possible???

There's a very simple solution to this: Don't ever bet 50% of your bankroll....ever. Simply, it just can't be done, you will end up zeroing out EVERY time.

Hoja Verdes
    Broncos Under 7.5 Wins -105
    Hoja Verdes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

I understand that what I did was stupid, but can someone please explain to me HOW this happened? The odds of me losing all those bets have to be in the millions, am I right???
    You're just square as sh1t and there's a reason why Vegas is paved in gold. It's not rocket science. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Otherwise we'd all be living in the Hilton penthouse.

(Don't take that personally, I'm just going by your betting pattern and am afraid you think that your loss was so farfetched that you'll somehow justify chasing it)

Nightowl
    Nightowl's Avatar Become A Pro!

I know it's rough but don't do anything stupid. We all get carried away sometimes, but we have lived to gamble...or not gamble...another day. I have made some 'sure bets' too where I thought I couldn't lose and came out on the short end wondering what to do. There is not really an answer to the 'How' for I'm sure that others have done the same but suffered quietly. Hang in there because the more time that separates you and this day, the better you'll feel and the wiser you'll be.

rossta4i
    rossta4i's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4613

damn man that sucks...I don't know what to say, just sorry bro. I catch myself betting on sure fire games and lose it all also. Within less then a month I had to put two deposit in my account cause I blew it away in 2 weeks. So I know how it feels.

El Sol
    El Sol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1802

I bet 1-2% of my bankroll and I usually have 10-15 plays a day.
    Wish you wouldve followed your own advice.

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

I think you should find another hobby, dude. If you can't figure out that risking $1800 to win $100 is dumb, then this isn't for you and all you will do is bring yourself misery and financial ruin.

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBlank View Post
    Brady,

You're not getting this.

The stars are not lining up against you. If you had good money management, you would understand the risk associated with betting ridiculous sums on the money line to win a small profit are not smart wagers to begin with.

This is about "pot odds", you don't risk 95% of your bankroll to win 5%.

Stop looking at this as being "unlucky" and you will be able to learn from your mistakes.

Don't risk large %'s of your bankroll to win a small %. It is really that simple.

I agree with this BUT in all honesty if you are going to bet a huge favorite -1500 is what matchy had it at when game went off you are almost forced to bet big to win anything, takes a 750 bet to even win 50 bucks (actually 49 after they clip ya for a buck commission)

Pick'nParlays
    My Wifi Name is PrettyFly4aWifi
    Pick'nParlays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 738

dude Brady i would bet on you to bounce back,

Brady2Moss
    Brady2Moss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Im ok guys, like one of the poster said, I did have dreams last night about that "almost interception that turned into a fluke TD" which would have won me the game... I just cant wrap my head around the fact that I bet that game, I was on a good streak this last few weeks...

W/E I think im gunna take a break until next MLB season starts, that should give me some time to recoup my mind and my bankroll...

Anyways, good luck to you guys, and I'll see you next season

nysmoneyman
    nysmoneyman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

my two cents

for all those just starting out in gambling on sports...the all in bet is a losing bet...u may win it once or twice in a row but the book will get your money on this bet...a can't lose means u will lose...free money means u will lose

Sports betting tip #1 - Money Management
    This is without a doubt the most important aspect of betting sports and possibly the most neglected. The first key to proper money management is to be sure not to bet more than you can afford to lose. If you are going to bet on sports, it is important to set aside a certain portion of your money for betting and to stick with that bankroll, win or lose. Winning money on sports is not a sprint. If you bet your whole bankroll on one game and lose, you will be more likely to try and chase your losses. If you spread your bankroll among several smaller bets, you are more likely to make a profit in the long run if you do the proper homework. Remember, there are no locks in this business and any team can lose on any given night. And on the subject of chasing: Don't do it! There is no worse way to mismanage your bankroll than to chase your bets after a losing day. If you didn't like the game before you lost your money, why would you like it after your losses? Chasing bets is a losing proposition almost every time. If you are on a winning streak, increase the amount of your bets. Wins and losses often come in streaks, and it can be profitable to ride out a hot streak.

Pick'nParlays

to much chalk.

icemantbi
    icemantbi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

Wow Brady2Moss, I can't believe you did that

First lesson in sports betting: Never bet those huge moneylines! If Vegas or a book really believes the other side doesn't have at least a slim shot, they wouldn't give you the option. You can get away with it many times, but eventually it will come back to bite you in the ass, and the one loss wipes out your bankroll completely. Think about it, you think laying $1,800 to win a measly hundred bucks is worth it? Now, wouldn't it be better to simply bet $110 (or whatever) to win $100, lose the $110 and live to fight another day? No wonder books never lose!

Sorry you had to lose that bet to learn a lesson, but hopefully it was a lesson learned.

remmy358
    remmy358's Avatar Become A Pro!

Im ok guys, like one of the poster said, I did have dreams last night about that "almost interception that turned into a fluke TD" which would have won me the game... I just cant wrap my head around the fact that I bet that game, I was on a good streak this last few weeks...

W/E I think im gunna take a break until next MLB season starts, that should give me some time to recoup my mind and my bankroll...

see you in a day or two...most likely under a different name

Always Somethin'
    Always Somethin''s Avatar Become A Pro!

You should look into a finance or stat class at a college if you thought that was a solid bet.

awholelottalumps
    awholelottalumps's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Risk $1,800 to win $100.Why?Where you drunk when you made this bet?There is no logic risking that much to win so little in return.Remember Stanford was a 40 point underdog vs USC and Stanford won the game.You put yourself in a stressful situation and you didn't have to.Anything can happen in sports,anything.I feel bad for you.Never put all your eggs in one basket and be patient.Well I hope you learned a lesson here and I hope you make wiser decisions from this point forward.Take care and remember how this feels.I wish you luck.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

wow...

good luck putting the pieces back together....

sounds like you have made this mistake many times...and haven't learned yet... hopefully this pill is bitter enough to keep you away for good.... or at least teach you to control yourself...

Pick'nParlays

so did you kill yourself or what happened with that? still capping?

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper
    sweetpete57@'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Good call taking a break. Win or lose, rich or poor, life pretty much sucks. What won't kill ya will only make you stronger. Be happy you learned this lessen now, instead of making a $10000K bet on a game like that in the future. Take care

head_strong
    head_strong's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 500

I have some good advice betting $1800 to win $100 is not smart.

Ralphie1412
    You Come at the King You Best Not Miss
    Ralphie1412's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1209

Whats the point of bumping this thread? you guys need to let this guy get on with it.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie1412 View Post
    Whats the point of bumping this thread? you guys need to let this guy get on with it.

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

We got posters upset that Brady didn't follow through on blowin his brains out

Lots of compassion for a guy who just took a huge loss on a nightmare game

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

not only did he not kill himself, he's still posting here, under a different username.

bluexselvedge
    bluexselvedge's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    mods... do an IP check to prove this moron wrong

yisman

pretty sure we have enough ghosts around here already. Your services will not be needed.

bluexselvedge

maybe i should make 50 posts a day like you then? i cant because i have a life

dr123
    dr123's Avatar Become A Pro!

*edited due to not playing nice*
    Last edited by Justin7; 12-02-08 at 12:24 AM.

yisman

hello? Can people not read a damn link?

http://unit1884.mysbrforum.com/

I linked my line to that and everyone somehow thinks I'm accusing them.

bluexselvedge

dr... be cool... whoever clicks on that link leads it to their own profile

bluexselvedge

ehh.. 2 minutes late

First 1234 Last