Chance Harper
    Chance Harper's Avatar Become A Pro!

LSU, Auburn cap SEC betting weekend

LSU, Auburn cap SEC betting weekend

Regarded as the top football conference in the land, the SEC has a huge weekend of action capped by a big Saturday night match at Jordan-Hare Stadium when the LSU Tigers visit the Auburn Tigers.

Our look at the Week 4 college football betting odds is focused squarely on the Southeastern Conference. That’s the SEC, by the way. Nobody ever calls it by its full name, so when you hear “Southeastern,” you might think of some obscure low major trying to keep up with the Sun Belts of the world. Nope, this is Florida we’re talking about, not Florida International.

The amount of love that’s out there for the SEC is awe-inspiring. If they decided tomorrow to switch from being a football conference to a political party, they’d surely win the election. Five of the Top 10 teams in the AP poll are from the SEC; we’ve got four of them right here.

No. 9 Alabama (-9½, 46½) at Arkansas
    Saturday, Sep 20, 12:30 p.m. (ET)

That was quite a turnaround by the Crimson Tide. After a foul-smelling 3-9 ATS campaign left the storied franchise with its second consecutive Independence Bowl invitation, Alabama is gunning for a spot in a BCS bowl. They’ve beaten all three of their opponents – including Clemson – by at least two touchdowns, cashing in twice.

Arkansas is on the other side of the spectrum. Darren McFadden is with the Raiders, Felix Jones is in Dallas, and the Razorbacks (7-5 ATS last year) are 0-1 ATS after barely beating UL-Monroe 28-27 as 14-point favorites. If there had been any odds on the opener, a 28-24 squeaker over FCS juggernaut Western Illinois, you can rest assured Arkansas would be 0-2 ATS. It’s going to take coach Bobby Petrino some time to sort this mess out.

No. 4 Florida (-7, 51) at Tennessee
    Saturday, Sep 20, 3:30 p.m. (ET) CBS

And then there’s Tennessee. After losing to UCLA and starting the year 0-2 ATS, the Volunteers can no longer play the “disrespect” card. Too bad, because the Vols would have otherwise been a solid value pick as underdogs at home against universally adored Heisman-winner Tim Tebow and the Florida Gators. Bettors are piling up on Florida, which is entirely understandable if you follow the (non-existent) Transitive Rule of Handicapping:

• Tennessee lost to UCLA by three points;
    • UCLA lost to BYU by 59 points;
    • Therefore, Tennessee is 62 points worse than BYU.

This is the essentially the same comparative analysis method used for building advanced power rankings. Those rankings gradually get more useful as more games are played and the sample size of data grows. The above example is the smallest sample size you could possibly work with. It’s probably not that representative of how bad the Vols are. They might be worse.

Personally, I’m looking at the Volunteers defense as the weak link. The secondary is outstanding, no question, but the linebackers are iffy and the defensive line is just not getting the job done. I do not see the Volunteers stopping Tebow and Percy Harvin, on the ground or in the air.

No. 6 LSU (-3, 38) at No. 10 Auburn
    Saturday, Sep 20, 7:45 p.m. (ET) ESPN

Auburn supporters, take heart. At least you’ll get paid this time if your Tigers beat the LSU Tigers 3-2. That was the final score last week when Auburn’s defense pitched a shutout against Mississippi State (+10). Now that’s SEC football. Let me just check my records… yes, the under cashed in. That’s three unders in a row for Auburn, who have otherwise done nothing for handicappers at 1-2 ATS.

The under is also undefeated for those other Tigers: 1-0. Their first game was against Appalachian State of the FCS, so no betting line there. The second turned into a classic “underdog-under” parlay winner when LSU (-42) beat North Texas 41-3. It doesn’t matter to chalkeaters how good your defense is if your offense can’t score the number of points in the spread. The total for this slugfest is 38 points; don’t forget about the threat to under bettors posed by overtime – it burned them twice last year with LSU.

BadNina
    I did troubles!!
    BadNina's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13869

I think the problems at Auburn could be worse than peopl realize. The Dean of Students sent out an email to all students yesterday asking them not to boo their own team during this game. If the Administration doesn't have faith in the team, why should anyone else?

gm2022
    gm2022's Avatar Become A Pro!

LSU play of the week ML for me!

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8069

Quote Originally Posted by BadNina View Post
    I think the problems at Auburn could be worse than peopl realize. The Dean of Students sent out an email to all students yesterday asking them not to boo their own team during this game. If the Administration doesn't have faith in the team, why should anyone else?
    doesn't sound 2 good for our in state rivals I hate that!!

HOMAR
    HOMAR's Avatar Become A Pro!

IM 0-2 THIS WEEK i like LSU-2.5 i will try to hit thisone..

gm2022
    gm2022's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by HOMAR View Post
    IM 0-2 THIS WEEK i like LSU-2.5 i will try to hit thisone..
    I know -2.5 isnt normally a dangerous number, but the way these teams play I would consider taking the ML. Look at some of the past score between these 2 teams and for how close the past games have been. Just advice but more than likley the points shouldn't hurt you GL
    Last edited by gm2022; 09-19-08 at 10:39 AM.

BadNina
    I did troubles!!

Quote Originally Posted by jackpot269 View Post
    doesn't sound 2 good for our in state rivals I hate that!!
    Not me! I love it when chaos reigns supreme at Auburn.

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8069

Not me! I love it when chaos reigns supreme at Auburn.
    I was being sarcastic baby i'm with you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 ROLL TIDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Though I know my little girl will not like to hear me say this, I'm rooting for all of the SEC underdogs this weekend to win straight up.

BadNina
    I did troubles!!

Oh Daddy. We need to talk about this.

$$POOLCRAZY$$$$
    $$POOLCRAZY$$$$'s Avatar Become A Pro!

what does ML mean?? i see it on my spreedsheet and i see peeps usein it alot

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Oh Daddy. We need to talk about this.
    Now child, don't you go frettin' none. It's not an anti-Tide thing at all. Just want to see the Top 10 get shaken up.

Quote Originally Posted by $$POOLCRAZY$$$$
    what does ML mean?? i see it on my spreedsheet and i see peeps usein it alot
    Money Line.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 316

Mr. Chance Harper,

The SEC is not regarded the best. The SEC is the best. Without SEC there would be no college football.