Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cyborg's pace was really fast in the start, but he gassed. Daley is a big WW, he has weight cutting problems and he usually brings a fast pace in the start. It's hard to see this fight going 5 rounds.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

good point about daley's cardio.

i think daley has a clear advantage striking but diaz has never been koed and even if he gets laid out theres a good chance that diaz weathers the storm (as i dont see refs awarding a quick tko with nick) and this fight goes into the later rounds where daley starts to tire.

with that being said, im on daley but the more i look at it, the more i regret my bet.

LayingThe$Down
    LayingThe$Down's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by omalley21 View Post
    We know Nick is better, but will he use his well rounded skill set?. Masvidal didnt stand still in front of Daley, he was constantly moving away. Nick probably wont do that. Cyborg was killing diaz with leg kicks. Diaz didnt check 1 leg kick or catch 1 an take him down. I hear you, but theres some holes in your argument.

Ive flip flopped numerous times on this fight, but Im betting Daley by decision. Diaz wont get cut or finished.
    What is your comparison between Cyborg's kicks and Daley's? Do you think Daley has shown effective kicks in his fights? Did those kicks lead Cyborg to victory?

What is going to prevent Nick from wearing Daley down as he has with all his opponents recently? You think Daley will catch Nick and KO him?

Which Daley performance would you cite as evidence for Daley being able to KO Nick? And what is the chances of that happening in your opinion?

LayingThe$Down

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    I dunno if I would call Diaz a better "technical" striker. Diaz is an un-orthdox striker, which to me is the opposite of technical.
    Technical as in boxing? Or as in MMA?

They are 2 completely different striking worlds. A lot of boxing techniques will get you killed in an MMA fight.

What is your opinion of Nick's jab? What do you think of his straight right? Or the way he utilizes body shots?

I would love to hear your honest criticism of Nick's MMA striking.

Thanks in advance.

phillybadboy
    phillybadboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3864

diaz for the win,

LayingThe$Down

Just to make sure my point is clear, I am merely stating that I do not think Nick's striking is actually unorthodox. He utilizes a technical and orthodox jab, for instance, he just throws it far more often in his fights than most other MMA fighters.

Nick's hooks to the body are orthodox imo.

Nick's straight right seems orthodox to me (he lands a beautiful one on Cyborg, for example, and from that point the fight is basically over).

I am only wondering what specifically is unorthodox about his MMA striking. That's all. Not trying to get into a war over it, just curious.

I always thought few fighters demonstrated such a disciplined allegiance to orthodox striking than Nick. For instance, how often do you see Nick throw overhand looping punches (Like Leonard Garcia tends to do often)? Or throw himself forward with long, arching hooks like Fedor likes to do?

imo these strikes are more unorthodox than Nick's techniques.

MMAdisciple
    MMAdisciple's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by LayingThe$Down View Post
    Just to make sure my point is clear, I am merely stating that I do not think Nick's striking is actually unorthodox. He utilizes a technical and orthodox jab, for instance, he just throws it far more often in his fights than most other MMA fighters.

Nick's hooks to the body are orthodox imo.

Nick's straight right seems orthodox to me (he lands a beautiful one on Cyborg, for example, and from that point the fight is basically over).

I am only wondering what specifically is unorthodox about his MMA striking. That's all. Not trying to get into a war over it, just curious.

I always thought few fighters demonstrated such a disciplined allegiance to orthodox striking than Nick. For instance, how often do you see Nick throw overhand looping punches (Like Leonard Garcia tends to do often)? Or throw himself forward with long, arching hooks like Fedor likes to do?

imo these strikes are more unorthodox than Nick's techniques.
    His striking offense is orthodox for sure. But his striking defense is probably what some mean when they say his stand-up is unorthodox. Gets tagged a lot.

omalley21
    omalley21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Quote Originally Posted by LayingThe$Down View Post
    What is your comparison between Cyborg's kicks and Daley's? Do you think Daley has shown effective kicks in his fights? Did those kicks lead Cyborg to victory?

What is going to prevent Nick from wearing Daley down as he has with all his opponents recently? You think Daley will catch Nick and KO him?

Which Daley performance would you cite as evidence for Daley being able to KO Nick? And what is the chances of that happening in your opinion?
    Cyborg has better kicks, but Daley has good kicks as well. You watched the Masvidal fight. Daley used leg kicks well. Daley watched the Cyborg fight, Diaz doesn't check or catch kicks. Daley WILL utilize leg kicks a lot in this fight.

The thing thats going to prevent nick from wearing him down is Daleys leg kicks and the fact that Diaz will probably get dropped a few times in the first few rounds which should slow him down as well. I think Daley can control the standup atleast until he gasses. If he gasses.

I never said Daley will KO nick. The chances of Daley KO'ing Nick are about 15% Id say. Nick never loads up or over commits on his punches which doesnt leave him susceptible to KO's. And obviously the great chin, heart, reach and stamina.

NickTheGrip
    NickTheGrip's Avatar Become A Pro!

You're assuming Diaz will make no adjustments for leg kicks or possible game plan to use them against Daley.

omalley21
    omalley21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGrip View Post
    You're assuming Diaz will make no adjustments for leg kicks or possible game plan to use them against Daley.
    I am indeed. Nick relies too much on his toughness.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by omalley21 View Post
    Cyborg has better kicks, but Daley has good kicks as well. You watched the Masvidal fight. Daley used leg kicks well. Daley watched the Cyborg fight, Diaz doesn't check or catch kicks. Daley WILL utilize leg kicks a lot in this fight.

The thing thats going to prevent nick from wearing him down is Daleys leg kicks and the fact that Diaz will probably get dropped a few times in the first few rounds which should slow him down as well. I think Daley can control the standup atleast until he gasses. If he gasses.

I never said Daley will KO nick. The chances of Daley KO'ing Nick are about 15% Id say. Nick never loads up or over commits on his punches which doesnt leave him susceptible to KO's. And obviously the great chin, heart, reach and stamina.
    With Daley training in Holland again for this fight I think it's safe to say that he will be looking to use leg-kicks in this one. As u say, Diaz doesn't have a tendency to catch leg kicks or indeed check them so will be interesting to see if he has been workin on tht. Acacio was able to take Daley down once in the first round and I think he caught a kick and took him down in the second as well so I have no doubt tht if Diaz is smart and determined he will be able to get Daley to the ground.

With regard to Diaz's striking, he trains under Luisito Espinosa (former WBA and WBC World Champ) and also spars with Andre Ward whom IMO is one of the most cerebral and talented boxers in the game so I'd like to think they will have been concentrating on Nick's defence - circling away form Daley's left hook, using head movement, and especially with regards to not blocking punches with his chin in general! As long as Diaz can avoid gettin caught in first 3 rounds he should be fine, Daley is may well be too anxious to get the KO in first couple rounds which may lead to him gassing out or at least not being able to get his usual amount of power behind his punches in the last half of the fight.
    Last edited by Vaughany; 04-01-11 at 02:28 PM.

LayingThe$Down

Great responses, guys. Very solid viewpoints and info.

I don't have time tonight to respond but will try to find time very soon. This is an enjoyable debate and that is appropriate considering this is one of the best fights outside the UFC in the foreseeable future imo.

shady610
    shady610's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8603

i think nicks reach will keep daley away and nick will eventually go for the submission.

with that being said, daley has big time power and he only needs one shot to land and its over.

At these odds, id probably take daley. But overall i feel like nick should win. Although i would like to see nick knocked down from his high horse. no pun intended

youngbutgood
    youngbutgood's Avatar Become A Pro!

Any book got the Daley to win by KO prop yet, if so whats the price.

Varker
    Varker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 353

Daley by tko is the way to go if you are betting on him.

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

Gegard up to -430 now.

phillybadboy
    phillybadboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3864

oh didn't know the lin was up

First 123