Conan
    Conan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 818

Tournis good or bad for mma?

I like the tourni system as it clearly lays out a path to being a champion and fighters have to train for all fighters as they are unaware of who they will fight untill one round ends. Understandably there needs to be a bit of a break betwene rounds maby 4-6 weeks. plus it would add good betting oppurtunities for us degens. what does sbr think?

FlashinLeather
    FlashinLeather's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

ohhh tournaments...yea I like tournaments...

Conan

possibly titles determaned by tournies while other matches are consiterd exibition and used just for seeding the tournies? maby? one possible flaw to this is fights will be diffrent in exibitions vs tournis as they are not as important

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

I think the bigger you get the less likely these tournaments go off without a hitch, always somebody injured or some sort of scheduling issue, but I really enjoy the tournaments Bellator puts on.

Varker
    Varker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 353

I enjoy tournaments as well. K-1 grand prix is really fun to watch.

Conan

while i do agree logistics of these tournis are an issue they should be implimented more often most spesificly UFC needs them again.

Poppa Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    while i do agree logistics of these tournis are an issue they should be implimented more often most spesificly UFC needs them again.
    Why is it do you think they need them?

Strikeforce isn't even out of the first round, and won't be by at the very least June. I don't want fighters locked in for two years. Really isn't worth it to me, especially given with the numerous injuries that occur during training you stand a decent chance of seeing at least one alternate in the semi-finals.

iQon
    iQon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

Does little to no good in MMA. I would appreciate them if more prominent promotions mixed. Say, the Grand Prix with UFC and Strikeforce fighters.

But nothing in that stratosphere will ever happen so who cares? There are very few fights that can be made, a lot of fans want to see, but never come to fruition. Rendering MMA tournaments useless.

BOXING needs tournaments. Too many f\*g boxers and promoters killing the sport by dictating who fights who.
    Last edited by iQon; 03-09-11 at 04:03 AM.

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

I miss the Pride tournys. 2 fights in 1 night is warrior shit.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tourneys are great for the smaller organizations. They make fighters into stars very fast and give them an opportunity to move up. For bigger organizations like the UFC tourneys can also be good, but they would have to be for their lower end fighters. The fighters that are paid less would be perfect candidates for a tourney. When you start putting in fighters that make $100,000+ per fight in a tourney they can easily withdraw injured and screw up the whole tourney or postpone it. Also they would ruin future title fights if they are believed to be the best in the division.

TUF is pretty much the UFC's tourney. If the UFC gets a bigger roster they may consider doing tourney's, but for now it's very difficult.

Conan

i personaly would like to see them as i like how they lay things out and force high presshure situations i understand they would be dificult and likly never happen again in UFC because of things like dropping out and crap but it would be cool if it worked.

Poppa Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    i personaly would like to see them as i like how they lay things out and force high presshure situations i understand they would be dificult and likly never happen again in UFC because of things like dropping out and crap but it would be cool if it worked.
    Understood, I love them in other sports, they just don't seem to work with big league MMA.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    I miss the Pride tournys. 2 fights in 1 night is warrior shit.
    God i miss pride i keep waiting for the yakuza to bring it back but doesnt look good. Pride was awesome Rampage fighting chuck then later that night wanderlei was epic.

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    God i miss pride i keep waiting for the yakuza to bring it back but doesnt look good. Pride was awesome Rampage fighting chuck then later that night wanderlei was epic.

Yea. That was my shit. I hated wanderlei and chute box, back then. Wanderlei always got Rampage with the fukkin thai clinch!! Remember when Mark Coleman broke Shoguns arm, then Ninja and Wanderlei jumped in and started brawling with Coleman and Phil Baroni. That was great shit. Coleman was stomping on Wanderlei's neck. Reminded me of some wwf shit.

teaserpleaser

Yea. That was my shit. I hated wanderlei and chute box, back then. Wanderlei always got Rampage with the fukkin thai clinch!! Remember when Mark Coleman broke Shoguns arm, then Ninja and Wanderlei jumped in and started brawling with Coleman and Phil Baroni. That was great shit. Coleman was stomping on Wanderlei's neck. Reminded me of some wwf shit.
    Coleman was shitting bricks backstage chute Boxe is always like 10+ deep and they were pissed . Wonder if that video is still up on youtube?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Coleman was shitting bricks backstage chute Boxe is always like 10+ deep and they were pissed . Wonder if that video is still up on youtube?
    Watched this one the other day!...

ttrace35

Oh shit. I'm on my blackberry. I can't see. Yea. Do they have where Coleman was askin Rampage why he didn't come out and help. Colemans dad got roughed up. Lol. Oh shit. I haven't seen this in years.

ttrace35

Those Jap security wasn't offering any protection

teaserpleaser

Oh shit. I'm on my blackberry. I can't see. Yea. Do they have where Coleman was askin Rampage why he didn't come out and help. Colemans dad got roughed up. Lol. Oh shit. I haven't seen this in years.
    Did you see the part where rampage is walking with coleman/barroni some other hammerhouse guys and wandy sees rampage i forget what he told him something like " i have something for you" backstage at pride looked crazy.

teaserpleaser

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Watched this one the other day!...

Thanks Vaughany

ttrace35

Did you see the part where rampage is walking with coleman/barroni some other hammerhouse guys and wandy sees rampage i forget what he told him something like " i have something for you" backstage at pride looked crazy.
    No. I missed that part. I remember Rampage not being too interested in getting involved.