ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

Would You Pay To See Grappling Championship In Abu Dhabi????

Just curious. Seems to be a lot of wrestling and grappling lovers in this forum. MMA purists should love this stuff. I wonder how many would pay $45 to see this. A lot of people say how much they love the technical aspect of UFC.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Do u mean live in Abu Dhabi or on TV?!

FlashinLeather
    FlashinLeather's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Funny how when people talk about how they love striking in MMA they are told to go watch kickboxing but if they talk about how they love grappling they are an MMA "purist"

Just and observation carry on, and Vaughany I think he means on PPV. I wouldn't pay for it, if I want to see grappling I just search it on line, no need for me to see a grappling tournament live.

JuicedUp
    JuicedUp's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6160

I'd pay to see Marcelo Garcia.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    Just curious. Seems to be a lot of wrestling and grappling lovers in this forum. MMA purists should love this stuff. I wonder how many would pay $45 to see this. A lot of people say how much they love the technical aspect of UFC.
    Firstly, I wouldnt pay $45 for it because u can get it on the internet a lot easier than UFC (without the Zuffa gestapo). However, I assume you've created this thread and said $45 because u have to pay $45 to watch UFC and u are attempting to try and catch those out who have said in other threads that the UFC isn't boring because of the grappling aspect...am I right?! Well I dont pay $45 for UFC event anyway as I just pay about $15 a month for ESPN which shows all the events, but if we pretend that I do have to pay $45 for a PPV and then imagine whether I'd pay the same amount for an Abu Dhabi tournament then honestly I probly wouldn't. But this does not neccessarily mean that I'm a hyprocrit or that I'm contradicting my assertions that the UFC isn't boring because of the grappling aspect.

BJJ (and grappling in general) on it's own, and then BJJ or wrestling or whatever within MMA are completely different things. Moreover appreciating straight-up BJJ matchups or wrestling matchups and appreciating the use of BJJ and use of wrestling in MMA can also be different. The beauty of BJJ in MMA competetion and the reason why I find the grappling aspect interesting is because of what it represents. It shows that despite being the smaller guy, or the guy with less strength, or less muscles, or less power, you can still overcome your opponent through technique, and thus counter the striking aspect or other advantage the opponent may have. Take Kampmann vs McFedries as an example, where u had a clealy undersized guy who lacked power in Kampmann who was being tagged with big shots by McFedries in the first half of the first round. Even Rogan was sayin tht it looked like it was close to ending. Then after being smashed in the face for the fourth time, Kampmann pressured McFedries against the cage and got him to the ground. Within a minute 30 secs he transitioned from side mount in to a textbook arm-triangle that left McFedries unconcious. That shit was awesome because Kampman came back from some heavy punishment. In BJJ competitions quite obviously FIghter A doesnt have to worry about the striking aspect or knees or elbows on the ground, etc... from Fighter B and vice-versa so it is completely different. Furthermore, this is why some top-notch BJJ guys don't transition well in to MMA.
    Last edited by Vaughany; 03-02-11 at 03:37 PM.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

No way i like watching paplo papovitch, m garcia, even jeff monson but lets be real alot of stalling can be like watching paint dry and i love sub grappling i'd rather watch NCAA D-1 wrestling championship tourney even the big 10 matches on big 10 ch... the adcc was at the long beach p i had free tickets and gave them away.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Firstly, I wouldnt pay $45 for it because u can get it on the internet a lot easier than UFC (without the Zuffa gestapo). However, I assume you've created this thread and said $45 because u have to pay $45 to watch UFC and u are attempting to try and catch those out who have said in other threads that the UFC isn't boring because of the grappling aspect...am I right?! Well I dont pay $45 for UFC event anyway as I just pay about $15 a month for ESPN which shows all the events, but if we pretend that I do have to pay $45 for a PPV and then imagine whether I'd pay the same amount for an Abu Dhabi tournament then honestly I probly wouldn't. But this does not neccessarily mean that I'm a hyprocrit or that I'm contradicting my assertions that the UFC isn't boring because of the grappling aspect.
    lol i had the same train of thought

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

but to answer the question, i would pay if i recognized the fighters involved. a big part of combat sports is knowing who the competitors are. it makes the matches significantly more interesting.

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

Let me make myself more clear. I'm not against the ground fighting. I can get into a submission fighter going for rapid transitions and submission attempts. This is all good. But its the boring lay and pray. I miss the old ufc where the refs were 10 x's quicker to stand up stalling fighters. Look at the tape from 7 or 8 years ago. The refs were instructed to stand the fighters up faster. This could be a quick fix for the boring bullshit. Check out the old tapes.