kball15
    kball15's Avatar Become A Pro!

COTTO-MAYORGA, Under 8.5 Rounds at -130!!!!!

I think its a fantastic Bet.

On the one hand, I could see Cotto coming off the year long layoff and going through this fight lackadaisically and just boxing his way to a decision over the Bigger Mayorga, but let me explain why this WON'T happen.

First of all, Mayorga has already tried to leave Boxing for MMA. The only reason he is still fighting as a boxer is because he is under contract with DON KING. the guys heart just isnt in it anymore. (King also robbed Mayorga of a nice pay check by getting that MMA fight cancelled, so i have to believe Mayorga is a bit spiteful of KING.) And dont let his trash talk fool you, Mayorga only does that so the PPV does better and he makes more $$$

Secondly, Mayorga is 37 years old, and has been BEATEN up numerous times in his career. Cotto is still only 30, and while he is an old 30, the fact that he has been inactive recently plays in his favor. Cotto was talking about losing his love for the sport recently, and we all know the saying "absence makes the heart grow fonder." Some time away from the gym only figures to make him hungrier and fresher.

Thirdly, Mayorga has ALWAYS been pounded by boxer punchers, especially ones with good straight punches like DLH and Trinidad. Cotto has a nice stiff Jab thats gonna set everything else up.

and Finally, Cotto has stopped nearly EVERY non-champion on his resume, and has stopped EVERY SINGLE ONE in the past 7 Years!!!!!!!! Malignaggi, Clottey, Pacquiao, Mosley, etc, were ALL champions. Thats pretty impressive. Guys who are not young or aren't competing at a championship level simply do not survive against Cotto.

Stats don't lie. Put the mortgage on Cotto/Mayorga UNDER 8.5 rounds, and if you can, Cotto by KO.

Right now its a -130. It started at -110 and expect it to get as high as -160. I wldn't wait!

Good Luck!!!!

phillybadboy
    phillybadboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3864

nice to see other boxing guys here

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Do some line shopping. You can get under 8.5 at -110 or better at several major books.

iQon
    iQon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

Can someone show me when Cotto stopped Pacquiao, Clottey, and Mosley?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

You can get Fight wont go 1:30 Round 8 at +124 on Sportbet/5dimes. Surely one round difference doesnt warrant a difference from +124 to -130?

kball15

Quote Originally Posted by iQon View Post
    Can someone show me when Cotto stopped Pacquiao, Clottey, and Mosley?
    read the paragraph again and get back to me

kball15

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    You can get Fight wont go 1:30 Round 8 at +124 on Sportbet/5dimes. Surely one round difference doesnt warrant a difference from +124 to -130?
    thats how they get you tho man. same thing with bball and football. you think giving up an extra point or 2 won't be a big deal and before you know it you've lost the best by a point or two.

Better to win less money then to lose money. I'd stick with the extra round but you are right, If cotto is gonna stop Mayorga before 8.5 rounds he'll prolly do it before 7.5 rounds too

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by kball15 View Post
    thats how they get you tho man. same thing with bball and football. you think giving up an extra point or 2 won't be a big deal and before you know it you've lost the best by a point or two.

Better to win less money then to lose money. I'd stick with the extra round but you are right, If cotto is gonna stop Mayorga before 8.5 rounds he'll prolly do it before 7.5 rounds too
    Yeah I guess tht one round can be a sucker! I've got the Fight wont go 1:30 Rnd 8 at +128 and the Over 7.5 rounds at +130 tho so Im sitting pretty with a nice miracle bet!

kball15

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Yeah I guess tht one round can be a sucker! I've got the Fight wont go 1:30 Rnd 8 at +128 and the Over 7.5 rounds at +130 tho so Im sitting pretty with a nice miracle bet!
    lol well good luck man

iQon
    iQon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

Quote Originally Posted by kball15 View Post
    Cotto has stopped nearly EVERY non-champion on his resume, and has stopped EVERY SINGLE ONE in the past 7 Years!!!!!!!! Malignaggi, Clottey, Pacquiao, Mosley, etc, were ALL champions.
    That makes sense to you?

Wait, are you comparing Ricardo Mayorga to the people on Cotto's record, that have never held a world title? Really? Ricardo Mayorga IS a former world titlist. An undisputed champ, at that. And if irrelevant info like that is the key to capping a fight to you; Cotto has faced 7 world champs in his career and has only stopped 2. So I guess you should find a new angle that makes sense.

Cotto's record vs. bums at lower weight classes, somehow translating to how he will perform against Ricardo Mayorga is not sound analysis. Comparing Cotto's jab to DLH and Tito, when they had a reach advantage on Mayorga and Cotto will not, is not sound analysis. Saying Mayorga does not care about this fight in spite of Don King, when Miguel Cotto has issues with his own promoter Bob Arum, is not sound analysis.

But hey, Mayorga stopped in under 9.5. Good luck with that.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

I feel more comfortable taking Cotto inside the distance at -225. BOL to all though!

kball15

Quote Originally Posted by iQon View Post
    That makes sense to you?

Wait, are you comparing Ricardo Mayorga to the people on Cotto's record, that have never held a world title? Really? Ricardo Mayorga IS a former world titlist. An undisputed champ, at that. And if irrelevant info like that is the key to capping a fight to you; Cotto has faced 7 world champs in his career and has only stopped 2. So I guess you should find a new angle that makes sense.

Cotto's record vs. bums at lower weight classes, somehow translating to how he will perform against Ricardo Mayorga is not sound analysis. Comparing Cotto's jab to DLH and Tito, when they had a reach advantage on Mayorga and Cotto will not, is not sound analysis. Saying Mayorga does not care about this fight in spite of Don King, when Miguel Cotto has issues with his own promoter Bob Arum, is not sound analysis.

But hey, Mayorga stopped in under 9.5. Good luck with that.
    Cotto has stopped every non-champion on his resume in the past 7 years. He did not stop Pacquiao, Malignaggi,Mosley, etc, but they were all champions. This is a simple stat that supports my claim that the fight will go under 8.5 rounds. I included it last because its not at all why I'm putting money on this bet.

Cotto's record vs what you call "bums" is extremely relevant. Mayorga is in the same class as any one of them these days. Calling Mayorga a former world champion is meaningless. He hasn't won a meaningful fight since he got a gift in the 2nd fight against Forrest. (and that is just about his only very meaningful win against a truly elite fighter)

And I'm not comparing Cottos jab to Tito and DLH's. Im saying they both had great success against Mayorga by using straight punches to set up everything else up. Cotto's has a great stiff jab thats going to let him set up everything else, and it is going to make getting the KO a lot easier for him. DLH and Titos reach advantage is hardly why they beat the shit out of Mayorga.

And about the Promoter dispute.... DON KING got a 6 figure payday that Mayorga had trained MONTHS for thrown out the window THE DAY BEFORE THE FIGHT. Cotto's dispute with Arum stems from Arums support of Margarito. Hardly the same thing. An unmotivated 37 year old Mayorga with a flabby mid-section is going to get picked apart by a body-puncher who has just rediscovered his ability to go downstairs under the tutelage of Manny Steward

Say what you want about my analysis, but I know what I'm doing. Been doing this for years, have made thousands, and I believe the only bet I've lost on here is Abraham over Froch.

So GL dude idk why you got all pissy
    Last edited by kball15; 02-18-11 at 08:51 AM.

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

this is only cotto`s second fight at 154...his first fight was vs a guy that couldn`t punch his way out of a paper bag...he walked through him and caught him in the 9th(yuri foreman for those that weren`t aware)...

yes mayorga is old...yes,he`s been inactive...yes.he should be rightin front of cotto...

on the other hand,he`s been fighting at 154 or above since 2004....and he showed some "want to" vs mosley.... stoppages vs de la hoya and trinidad(both naturally bigger than cotto) aren`t surprising...

i see what you`re saying about cotto..he could get mayorga out of there early if he concentrates on the body......but it could take him awhile...

i would much rather look at the "itd" prop...

mayorga`s tough to figure...his bouts with vernon forrest still have me shaking my head in disbelief...

g.l. with the prop...hope you hit it...

kball15

Quote Originally Posted by rocky mattioli View Post
    this is only cotto`s second fight at 154...his first fight was vs a guy that couldn`t punch his way out of a paper bag...he walked through him and caught him in the 9th(yuri foreman for those that weren`t aware)...

yes mayorga is old...yes,he`s been inactive...yes.he should be rightin front of cotto...

on the other hand,he`s been fighting at 154 or above since 2004....and he showed some "want to" vs mosley.... stoppages vs de la hoya and trinidad(both naturally bigger than cotto) aren`t surprising...

i see what you`re saying about cotto..he could get mayorga out of there early if he concentrates on the body......but it could take him awhile...

i would much rather look at the "itd" prop...

mayorga`s tough to figure...his bouts with vernon forrest still have me shaking my head in disbelief...

g.l. with the prop...hope you hit it...
    yea im still baffled as to how he beat Vernon Forrest. But that was 8 years ago. And he has only fought once in a few years.

Mayorga is very awkward and some fighters, like Mosley, have trouble getting to him. But those guys also don't have jabs. That Jab's the most important tool to beating up Mayorga IMO. IT sets up everything and keeps him right in front of you, where his defensive inefficiencies really become glaringly obvious.

And Manny Steward is a trainer that stresses the Jab and will tell Cotto to go to the body

kball15

http://www.boxingscene.com/steward-c...-inside--36313

Steward says he is going to stress for Cotto to fight on the INSIDE and punish Mayorga.

I think this one is a lock!