kball15
    kball15's Avatar Become A Pro!

DONAIRE by KO over MONTIEL?

Been looking at this fight for a little while now and its an interesting one.

I'm starting to like Donaire by KO.

A few fights back Montiel was getting battered around and was probably going to get knocked out by Valdez. Every punch was wobbling him towards the end.

People have this perception of Montiel as a hard nosed brawler with a great chin, and for the most part he is. But Donaire can crack and he has talent that Montiel hasn't even dreamed of facing talent like Donaire. Mark Johnson and Jhonny Gonzalez being his two toughest fights, and he lost to both.

Donaire can really do everything. I like him to stop Montiel at any point after the 5th or 6th round. And if Montiel is to win i think it will be by KO in the early-mid rounds.

I said before that I liked the over, but the under has some promise. I don't want to count Montiel out in this fight, but i really think he is up against it.

Donaire at -220 is a great bet IMO, and maybe slip a little bit on the Under cause that may hit also. I havn't been wrong with many of my piks on this site.

Good Luck!

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

natural lefty who fights orthodox= one hell of a left hand.

Given Monteils trouble with southpaws, I'm interested too see how much experimenting Donaire does with his southpaw stance. He fought the entire first half of his fight against Hernan Marquez as a southpaw. His Defense was a liability in that fight and Marquez was actually out-jabbing him.

I'm a bit hesitant to fire away at the TKO prop, I could see this fight looking like Donaires fight with Conception where he was on his bicycle late in the fight. Monteil isn't really the same type of pressure fighter as Conception though.

illmatick
    Update your status

good point about the Valdez fight. He was eating some nasty uppercuts. If donaire finishes the fight I think it will likely come from a left upper-cut.

wasn't too surprised Monteil was having trouble early. Valdez a southpaw with freakish size for 118lbs, 5'9, 70" reach.

Z Gorres is another Filipino fighter that Montiel struggled with. I still need to go back and re-watch that one.
    Last edited by illmatick; 02-16-11 at 02:04 AM.

phillybadboy
    phillybadboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3864

i bet nonito earlier, but i like monteil now, just bought out, put some on fernando monteil instead

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

i understand the donaire love...but seems like montiel is some journeyman or stepping stone from what i`ve been reading.....

what`s scary is their respective competition...sidorenko couldn`t punch his way out of a paper bag(way overrated once they got him away from home)......and their the common opponent(concepcion) was destroyed by montiel and gave donaire some trouble(less than a year apart)...

lot of folks thought martin castillo would whack montiel(one of my biggest wagers in forever along with rafael marquez over tim austin)...
    and not many thought he would catch hasegawa...

i don`t begrudge anybody liking donaire...he`s a beautiful technician....i`d be on him vs most anybody....and height and the lefty stance(i know he fights righty but tends to switch up on occasion) do give montiel problems...this is true...

...but i`m not laying this kind of wood vs a future h.o.f.`er that loves upsetting the applecart......

i can think of other -200 plus faves i`d roll the dice with before going against montiel....

not to mention that i`m obligated to take the odds because i owe montial....

should be an early fight of the year candidate...
    Last edited by rocky mattioli; 02-17-11 at 06:55 AM.

illmatick
    Update your status

This fight should be getting more love.

Donaire a prime candidate for TUF Philippines?
    Last edited by illmatick; 02-19-11 at 05:27 AM.

AribaAriba
    AribaAriba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

Illmatick, regarding the Donaire vs Conception. The reason that went to distance was Nonito hurt his hand on that fight and he fought a fighter 10lbs heavier than him. O ya, this fight shud be getting more of hype because both fighters are on the top 10 p2p list.

kball15

anotha winna!!!!!! 3-0 this weekend baby!!!

AribaAriba

WOW! Montiel get KTFO! Great weekend for you so far!

phillybadboy

nice calls dude

raidersfan
    raidersfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

What a performance by donaire.

brumbies
    sail close to the wind
    brumbies's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7700

What was Pinny up to? I noticed this message since a few days ago.

Last edited by brumbies; 02-19-11 at 11:26 PM.

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33492

Nice scores guys. I just got back from the fight. The place was absolutely electric and went nuts when Donaire landed that huge counter left hand. Mike Jones also looked great.

phillybadboy

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Nice scores guys. I just got back from the fight. The place was absolutely electric and went nuts when Donaire landed that huge counter left hand. Mike Jones also looked great.
    nice win on jones parlay

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9852

Easy win. I bet this one in the local book here in Mexico. Looks like an American guy and me were the only ones at the book that took Donaire. As soon as the fight finished, we both cashed and went out quickly.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 02-20-11 at 12:05 AM.

kball15

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Easy win. I bet this one in the local book here in Mexico. Looks like only an American guy and me were the only ones at the book that took Donaire. As soon as the fight finished, we both cashed and went out quickly.
    haha yea prolly a good idea

99Boxster
    99Boxster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4394

That was a sick ko. Monteil should've stayed on the canvas

phillybadboy

i think the donaire fight was a bad stoppage, once monteil got up he could continue fighting

kball15

Quote Originally Posted by phillybadboy View Post
    i think the donaire fight was a bad stoppage, once monteil got up he could continue fighting
    i thought it was insane that he let the fight even continue IMO. Montiel clearly couldnt defend himself and barely knew where he was

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10428

nice win man

rocky mattioli

i know i`m stirring up a hornet`s nest,but this is what i`m beginning to believe...

now we have two victor conte/balco related fighters knocking out guys that were never knock-out-able before in long,h.o.f careers?...and the absolute pinnacle of mosley`s career(the dlh fight)...... conte`s a convicted felon..why he`s allowed anywhere near professional sports is mind boggling to me...he`s a cancer on professional sports...

that`s why as soon as the pre-fight piece on donaire indicated victor conte involvement i rushed back to 5 dimes and bought out of my montiel bet...

imo,donaire `s quickness was almost inhuman... montiel had never been handled like that before in his career...he looked slow as molasses compared to donaire...

just doesn`t look right to me...

http://trueslant.com/bencohen/2010/0...e-on-steroids/
    Last edited by rocky mattioli; 02-20-11 at 06:19 AM.

99Boxster

Bro, are you delusional? Did you see him kicking and flailing his arms out on the canvas? His limbs moved but his neck or head didn't moved. The guy was OUT COLD!!!!!!! I don't give a damn if he stood up, he was LIGHTS OUT!!!!!!! The ref gave him respect since he has the heart of a champion, but seriously he could've sustained very serious injuries by getting hit any more. He couldn't even hold his arms up to block a punch. I'm glad Donaire didn't come in and pick another shot and land that HUGE left hook again. Monteil might've been paralyzed from the neck down.

99Boxster

*move

99Boxster

Quote Originally Posted by rocky mattioli View Post
    i know i`m stirring up a hornet`s nest,but this is what i`m beginning to believe...

now we have two victor conte/balco related fighters knocking out guys that were never knock-out-able before in long,h.o.f careers?...and the absolute pinnacle of mosley`s career(the dlh fight)...... conte`s a convicted felon..why he`s allowed anywhere near professional sports is mind boggling to me...he`s a cancer on professional sports...

that`s why as soon as the pre-fight piece on donaire indicated victor conte involvement i rushed back to 5 dimes and bought out of my montiel bet...

imo,donaire `s quickness was almost inhuman... montiel had never been handled like that before in his career...he looked slow as molasses compared to donaire...

I don't doubt it. He was so explosive and Montiel has such a great chin. Maybe he went on roid rage when he left his family? He said he sees the fight like he's in the matrix. Just takes a few punches to get the timing right for his matrix knockout blow. Nice job buying out of your wager!

rocky mattioli

Quote Originally Posted by 99Boxster View Post
    I don't doubt it. He was so explosive and Montiel has such a great chin. Maybe he went on roid rage when he left his family? He said he sees the fight like he's in the matrix. Just takes a few punches to get the timing right for his matrix knockout blow. Nice job buying out of your wager!

it cost me some vig...but my god,i`d like to know why any professional athlete would hire a felon like victor conte as their "nutritionist"......

after the mosley stink...all the questions surrounding manny...marion jones...bobby bonds....

imo,it`s insane to put your rep on the line by dealing with an admitted/known cheater...

donaire is a rare talent....conte is just plain bad news...what does conte have that other great nutritionists don`t have?....why associate yourself with this shitheel?..

but that`s me....

kball15

I doubt it. Donaire seems like a morally good person, and is adament about willing to get tested at any time.

And he was just as quick before all this. He has always been incredibly light on his feet with very fast hands.

Donaire, just like Pacquiao, is just growing into a bigger body for his weight class.

Hiring a guy Victor is a huge red flag as it is, I would be SHOCKED if they tried anything illegal. Especially in Contes case. Conte would go away for a loooooooooong time if he pulled some shit again. Just seems very unlikely to me

Muddy
    Muddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3671

Wow you must hate Montiel that bad huh?

Kav
    Kav's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 450

that was an absolutely disgusting KO, donaire is the real deal. monteil i thought would put up a better performance, he was absolutely schooled!

rocky mattioli

Quote Originally Posted by kball15 View Post
    I doubt it. Donaire seems like a morally good person, and is adament about willing to get tested at any time.

And he was just as quick before all this. He has always been incredibly light on his feet with very fast hands.

Donaire, just like Pacquiao, is just growing into a bigger body for his weight class.

Hiring a guy Victor is a huge red flag as it is, I would be SHOCKED if they tried anything illegal. Especially in Contes case. Conte would go away for a loooooooooong time if he pulled some shit again. Just seems very unlikely to me

well..just broaching the question...at it`s least,it`s amazingly bad judgement...at it`s worst?.....

conte(or his cronies) are the one thing that binds manny and donaire(aside from nationality)...

donaire is very,very good on his own merits...so is manny.....we all agree....but when these guys start whacking guys...dominating guys...much bigger guys in some instances...that have never been whacked before,then a red flag goes up for me...

forget manny`s incredible run for a second....donaire has supposedly only been associated with conte for 10 months...prior to that,he was 23-1 with 15 k.o.`s...

that`s roughly 66% of his wins via stoppage...it`s decent...but not overwhelming...

what`s he done in the 10 months(and i wonder about the accuracy of the 10 months assertion) since he started using conte?.....he`s fought 3 higher to elite level guys that have one thing in common...they`ve never been stopped in relatively long careers(marquez/sydorenko/montiel) ...careers in which at least two of them fought some elite level competition...in montiel`s case,elite level competiton numerous times.....

well,he whacked marquez in 8 in his first fight with conte...then he whacked sidorenko like you`d swat a gnat that was annoying you...and he absolutely destroyed montiel....it wasn`t competitive...

remind you of anybody elses almost unheard of run recently?....is it coincidence that the two most dominant fighters today...most dominant by a mile....are conte affiliated guys?....

is it an accident that great athletes like bonds and marion jones(both great athletes in their own right) became absolute monsters after hooking up with conte?....

an above average athlete would get better on ped`s....but an elite athlete might just become utterly dominating....

well we`re seeing almost unprecedented domination with manny and donaire...

we can disagree...we`re all entitled to our own opinions... but i think theres enough information..enough coincidence to cause some of us to scratch our heads and wonder a bit...

i apologize in advance if my supposition tips the applecart of some...just thinking out loud...

kball15

well..just broaching the question...at it`s least,it`s amazingly bad judgement...at it`s worst?.....

conte(or his cronies) are the one thing that binds manny and donaire(aside from nationality)...

donaire is very,very good on his own merits...so is manny.....we all agree....but when these guys start whacking guys...dominating guys...much bigger guys in some instances...that have never been whacked before,then a red flag goes up for me...

forget manny`s incredible run for a second....donaire has supposedly only been associated with conte for 10 months...prior to that,he was 23-1 with 15 k.o.`s...

that`s roughly 66% of his wins via stoppage...it`s decent...but not overwhelming...

what`s he done in the 10 months(and i wonder about the accuracy of the 10 months assertion) since he started using conte?.....he`s fought 3 higher to elite level guys that have one thing in common...they`ve never been stopped in relatively long careers(marquez/sydorenko/montiel) ...careers in which at least two of them fought some elite level competition...in montiel`s case,elite level competiton numerous times.....

well,he whacked marquez in 8 in his first fight with conte...then he whacked sidorenko like you`d swat a gnat that was annoying you...and he absolutely destroyed montiel....it wasn`t competitive...

remind you of anybody elses almost unheard of run recently?....is it coincidence that the two most dominant fighters today...most dominant by a mile....are conte affiliated guys?....

is it an accident that great athletes like bonds and marion jones(both great athletes in their own right) became absolute monsters after hooking up with conte?....

an above average athlete would get better on ped`s....but an elite athlete might just become utterly dominating....

well we`re seeing almost unprecedented domination with manny and donaire...

we can disagree...we`re all entitled to our own opinions... but i think theres enough information..enough coincidence to cause some of us to scratch our heads and wonder a bit...

i apologize in advance if my supposition tips the applecart of some...just thinking out loud...
    yea it raises an obvious red flag, but I really wouldn't look too far into it.

It would be one thing if Donaire was hiding the fact that he is using Conte, but he is open about it

And it would be another thing if Conte was just a guy people were suspicious about. Instead he is a guy people KNOW did some shady shit and he got in a LOT of trouble for it. Another strike and Conte's life is done for ever. The risk just doesnt meet the reward for Conte, especially when he has all these eyes on him.

I personally am not gonna look into it too much. Donaires always been phenomenal, as you said. IMO, he is just maturing and coming into his own. Just like Pacquiao did 2 or so years ago, Donaire is now entering his prime. He might not even be there yet. We don't know.

(Also keep in mind the fact that fighters in big fights are very often tense and tight in the early rounds, and are MUCH more susceptible to being caught, hurt, or in this case, knocked out)

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think this is a solid pick but its difficult so say for sure against montiel.

phillybadboy

Quote Originally Posted by jin2daj View Post
    i think this is a solid pick but its difficult so say for sure against montiel.
    lol, the fight is already over

AribaAriba

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...pro&id=7967958

"You got a needle, I got a vain, test me 24/7.
    No need for preparation, I'm always ready to prove that I'm for real. Victor is for real."

AribaAriba

This guy bobbled his legs like he was having a seizure; dent on this head is very sensitive part to be hurt to. I would love to see him live.

99Boxster

Wow that's a serious dent from that huge counter left hook

12 Last