ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

Is The Smaller Strikeforce Cage The Reason For Success???

Strikeforce always has big knockouts. Everybody wants to blame mismatches. Does maybe the small cage have anything to do with this? Nowhere to fukkin run when the heat is on. Just a thought.

JediMind87
    JediMind87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

It's pretty much matchmaking.Strikeforce knows what there doing.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

yeah its the matchmaking.

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

It is the pool of fighters

Wild swinging and standing right in the pocket with no head movement is a recipe for KOs. Most of these fighters could be fighting in a Football sized cage and it wouldn't make a difference. Arlovski at this point is just waiting to get KO'd, Linland and Rogers same thing, Sergei as well, Griggs will be very soon, Marius too, Scott Smith and the list goes on and on

Maybe you could blame it on the matchmaking, but for fighters like Arlovski at this point I don't see very many options for match making that won't end up in a KO. Same with most of the guys I mentioned.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

WEC also had a smaller cage and plenty of their fights went to decision yet at same time were some of the most exciting events I've seen in last 2 years or so in MMA. Poppa's points above are the main reason why there are more KO's in Strikeforce events...u stick Scott Smith or Arlovski back in UFC or put them in Shark Fights or Titan Fights..whatever...it's gonna end with a KO!

ttrace35

Good point poppa. It may help in ufc with certain fighters that like to bullshit. (Anderson Silva)

The HOFF
    The HOFF's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

It may have a little bit to do with it. I know Arlovski has a weak chin, but he was getting backed into the cage with nowhere to go. He couldn't use any footwork to get out of the way.

Poppa Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    Good point poppa. It may help in ufc with certain fighters that like to bullshit. (Anderson Silva)
    and Machida.

Probably would have hurt Chuck a lot as well.

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by The HOFF View Post
    It may have a little bit to do with it. I know Arlovski has a weak chin, but he was getting backed into the cage with nowhere to go. He couldn't use any footwork to get out of the way.
    I noticed that too. That's why I made this thread. He still prolly gets ko'd, but that cage was everywhere he went.

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Catfish View Post
    and Machida.

Probably would have hurt Chuck a lot as well.
    Excellent point on chuck. Always had that backward circling style.

Poppa Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    Excellent point on chuck. Always had that backward circling style.
    Chuck would have had a much shorter and less prolific career if he spent it in the ring, for some people it really does make all the difference. For others like Dominic Cruz and Edgar, you could probably put them in a phone booth and they still would have the quicks to evade everything. Having a smaller cage wouldn't affect them whatsoever.

Poppa Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by The HOFF View Post
    True but he had a similar problem (granted he wasn't knocked out in this fight) against Big Foot who stood in the center of the ring. Arlovski didn't attack at angles or use any kind of footwork at all, for whatever reason Arlovski always looks to abandon his game plan/ stop using footwork about two minutes into every fight. Very strange.

str8upslik
    str8upslik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

i think op was right at least in some part, arlovski looked like he had good head movement as opposed to many of his other recent fights, which coincidentally have ended in the same fashion... but it was to no avail so it doesn't matter anyway. can't deny it though, if you make the area to run around/away from your opponent, you are forcing there to be more contact/action, which, for HWs, means harder punches and thus, KOs.

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by str8upslik View Post
    i think op was right at least in some part, arlovski looked like he had good head movement as opposed to many of his other recent fights, which coincidentally have ended in the same fashion... but it was to no avail so it doesn't matter anyway. can't deny it though, if you make the area to run around/away from your opponent, you are forcing there to be more contact/action, which, for HWs, means harder punches and thus, KOs.